Truck Season Automotive HPC Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on February 3, 2014
For those who want a super quick review, here ya go:

The HP Slate 7 Extreme is absolutely the best value for 7 inch tablets on the market right now. Its MSRP is $30 less than the Google Nexus 7 of the same capacity, and it easily destroys the Nexus 7 in benchmark tests and real world applications. Also, it comes stock with a stylus that works incredibly well. Overall, if you're looking for a 7-8 inch tablet and you don't want an iPad Mini, you simply can't do any better than this tablet.

And now, for the longer review...

PROS:

Amazingly fast and great multitasking ability
Well built
Good (not great) battery life
Nearly pure Android OS
Plays virtually every single game available on Android on highest settings with zero lag

CONS:

Front facing camera is a joke (more on this later)

Let me start off by saying that I did A LOT of research before I bought this tablet. I wanted something up to date, fast, and something that ran as close to stock Android as possible. These three criteria narrowed it down to basically three choices: The Google Nexus 7 2013 (MSRP $229.99; hereby abbreviated G7 to avoid redundancy), the Hisense Sero 7 Pro (MSRP $149.99), and the HP Slate 7 Extreme (MSRP $199.99; abbreviated S7E). One thing worth noting is that the S7E is a rebrand of the Tegra Note 7; it has the EXACT same specs, but better build quality. If you happen to be reading this review because you're trying to decide between the Note 7 and S7E, I'd say go with the HP.

The only other decent 7 inch tablet options were a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (way overpriced for the hardware inside) and the Kindle Fire HDX (great hardware, but runs a heavily modified version of Android and is basically "Amazon - now in tablet form!"). Between my final three choices, I ended up cutting the Sero 7 Pro out because it's very difficult to find for a reasonable price, and because it noticeably lags behind the other two in terms of performance. Therefore, my final two choices were the N7 and the S7E. At first, I was going to go with the N7 because it's the reigning king of bang for your buck 7 inch tablets, but after comparing the two, I realized that the S7E was an even better value.

First, let's talk about specs. The S7E has a quad-core Tegra 4 processor with each core clocked up to 1.8GHz (and a fifth core for behind the scenes operations). The N7, on the other hand, has an older quad-core Tegra 3 with each core clocked up to 1.5GHz. Clear win for the S7E here. Next, I'll compare the screens. The S7E has a 1280x800 screen, while the N7 boasts a 1920x1280 screen. The N7 has more pixels-per-inch (PPI) and a sharper screen, but honestly, you're not going to notice the difference on a 7 inch tablet unless your nose is touching the screen. Win here for the N7, but it's fairly inconsequential unless you're really anal about screen quality.

Moving onto RAM, the S7E has 1GB and the N7 has 2GB. This is another win for the N7, but in actual performance, the S7E's improved processor is enough to make up for the difference and blow the N7 away. Capacity wise, both tablets come with 16GB of space (the N7 also has a 32GB version), but the S7E has expandable storage while the N7 doesn't. Big win for the S7E, in my opinion. Google doesn't include expandable storage on the N7 because they want you to store everything in the Cloud, but I much prefer being able to store things on my tablet.

The last comparison I'll make is between the cameras, and this is the only real fault I find with the S7E. Both tablets have a 5 megapixel camera on their backs, and they both take okay pictures (personally, I don't use my tablet as a camera, but to each their own). Both tablets are also equipped with a front-facing camera, but they differ a bit here. The N7 has a 1.2MP front-facing camera, while the S7E's is only 0.3MP. The front-facing camera on the S7E is honestly horrible, and it's basically useless for video chatting because the quality is just that bad. This is the only aspect of the S7E that's truly bad, and I find it unacceptable that a top of the line tablet in the year 2014 is still using such a low quality camera. This is obviously a big win for the N7, and if one of your top priorities is a good front facing camera, you may want to choose the N7.

After looking at the specs, the N7 and S7E are fairly similar, aside from the S7E having a much improved processor. What good are specs though, right? Performance is what actually matters. And that's where the S7E is simply better than the N7 and it's not even debatable. Despite having less RAM, the S7E is faster than the N7, can multitask better than the N7, and can run more intensive games than the N7. The battery life of the S7E suffers a bit thanks to its powerful hardware, but it still gets 8-9 hours on a full charge (compared to 10 or so for the N7), and that should be enough for most people.

So, at this point, you might be saying, "Alright, so the S7E is faster, but I still don't see why it's such a better value." Let me introduce you to the included stylus of the S7E. In the same vein as the Galaxy Note series, the S7E includes a stylus that you can write on the screen with. Many recent tablets have started to experiment with stylus technology, but honestly, most of them just aren't very good. Many of them have lag problems, or problems with the screen not correctly reading the stylus input. I'm happy to say, however, that the S7E's stylus works flawlessly and is very, very accurate and zippy. I'm a student, so the ability to take handwritten notes is invaluable to me, and it's made even better by the fact that the stylus for the S7E works about as well as any tablet on the market. It should be obvious that the inclusion of a stylus is a HUGE win for the S7E here; the N7 can't even begin to complete because even if you bought a stylus for it, you'd be paying more money and it wouldn't work as well because the N7's screen isn't designed for stylus use.

So, let's recap: The S7E has a much better processor than the N7, comes with a stylus that works incredibly well, and is $30 cheaper. The N7, on the other hand, has a nicer screen, slightly better battery life, a better front facing camera, and better OS support (the N7 gets updates faster because it's made directly by Google). Which one is better for you obviously depends on what you're looking for in a tablet, but for me, the choice was obvious: The S7E was the better value, and I couldn't be happier with it. The N7 is a great tablet in its own right, but it just can't stand up to the performance, features or price of the S7E. You certainly had a nice reign as the king of 7 inch tablets, Nexus 7, but I'm afraid it's time to...

Move, Nexus 7, get out the way, get out the way Nexus 7, get out the way. Why? Because there's a new tablet in town, and you just can't hang.
67 people found this helpful
|66 comments|Report abuse
on March 7, 2014
I have had this tablet for about a week now and I have to say it is great! I had a two year old 10 in Toshiba Thrive that I used mostly for reading, listening to music, and a few apps such as Facebook, Pinterest and Feedly and that is all I really did with my tablet. The Thrive was bulky and heavy so I was looking to downsize to a 7 inch. I wanted something affordable, but not a cheap no name tablet that would be questionable. I was initially looking at the Google Nexus and the Kindle Fire HD. I have family members that have these tablets,so I had a chance to look at those fairly closely. I decided not to get the Kindle based on the restriction to the Amazon App store which left me with the Google. I got a random email advertising the HP Slate 7 Extreme and after looking it over, I decided it was best for me. It has everything the Google Nexus does with the exception of the writing ability and that is what sold me. I am a note and list writer and I have tried to use note apps, but oh the typing (which I hate). I would then have notepads filling up my purse and strewn across my desk at work. It is fabulous to be able to use this tablet to write and save notes. Another feature I like are the front facing speakers since I listen to a lot of music. Several reviews mentioned screen resolution as a negative, but I am coming from a dinosaur tablet and the screen resolution is so improved that I have no problems with it. The only downside I have found is finding a case. None of the ones sold by Amazon will fit this model. I did go to Wal-Mart and find a universal one that seems to do the trick, except the camera hole doesn't line up. I use my phone for photos, so I don't see that being an issue for me. Even though this is advertised as a 7" tablet, it measures 8" x 4 3/4" so take that into consideration when looking for a case.
18 people found this helpful
on July 14, 2014
There are plenty of other reviews on here that hit on all the great features of this tablet and I agree with them. For the money it is the best bang for your buck around.
However keep in mind these notes:
!. The HP Slate 7 Extreme is unique an you may have some work cut out for you in finding proper cases and screen protectors.
The screen protectors were too big and the case I ordered came in incorrectly. - Obviously not the tablets fault.
2. When gaming on this be mindful it will chew through the battery and my biggest complaint is that it didn't seem to notify me when the battery got low. Maybe I missed it as I am still learning all the cool features on this tablet. My fix was to install a battery saver app and I think that will help manage some the background programs that never want to close.
3. Give yourself some time for initial updates. Now I am running Android Kit Kat 4.2.2 but it took two updates to get there.
4. OH yeah a little hidden spec on this is that it has a magnet built in the back. This is perfect for placing it on the fridge while your whipping up your favorite recipe from the web.
So far it is a great tablet and I am very happy with it.
10 people found this helpful
on January 5, 2017
after having this tablet for about a month now. I have to say I'm pretty disappointed in its performance. its not very fast. sometimes it seems as though the touch screen doesn't work and it freezes faster than water at -45. I'm constantly having to restart it just to get the thing to unfreeze and work properly( at least for a few mins before it freezes again) on occasions when I'm trying to type something with the keyboard it jumps all over the place and will insert letters I didn't even type, or it will put about 6 or the same letters instead of just one. Almost every app will have to be opened multiple times before it actually works. I'm very disappointed in this device. I got this one because HP has been known to make good quality products. this is just not one of them.

it gets 2 stars instead of one is because the design is nice and I like the dual speakers on the top and bottom and it looks very stylish. but As of now its looking more like its going to be a $70 paper weight.
on July 23, 2015
4 stars based on 1 days worth of use. I plan on updating this after i've had it for about a month.

I'm working in rural CO, far away from my home. I have my laptop with me and ipad mini mounted in the truck, but decided i wanted a small cheap tablet that i could use to read kindle books in bed, as well as occasionally use for social media stuff when i'm at work and dont want to use my work computer.
I was trying to decide between 2 options before i saw this one, the 6 inch kindle fire hd, and a 7 inch samsung tab 3 or 4.
I had owned a 7 inch tab 3 in the past, liked it, and sold it to buy a nexus 7.
The 6 inch kindle HD attracted me because of its size.

I saw this one recommended while viewing the samsung, and looked at its specs and a few reviews, and decided to go for it.

The two factors that got me were the stylus and the price point.

Ordered it with overnight shipping (thanks, prime) and it was in my hands for less then 85 bucks.

Charged it, updated the software twice, downloaded all the app updates and the apps i wanted.

A few things that i really like:
-As some others mentioned, the magnets on the back (to stick an oem shell or case on it) are really strong.
In fact, the tablet will stick itself to the shelf on my desk at work (metal mesh) or on the map board we have (magnetic)
This makes me really happy. I can load a weather app, zoom it in to the area that i want to see, and slap it on the map board.

-Removing the stylus has a mode that lets you lock out the touch screen to stylus input only. This has come in handy a few times.

-The screen brightness and clarity is probably the best of any small tablet i've owned. This includes a comparison to the ipad mini with retina. Also, i can set the overall brightness down lower then most, which is nice while reading at night. Colors and whites seem very vibrant and clear.

Cons i've found thus far:
-Its heavy. As heavy as an ipad mini with lifeproof case. I'm concerned i'll drop it on my face while reading at night.

-Stupid charging port doesnt like the usb cable i tried to use, thats currently on my multi port charger. Also, easy to try and stick it in wrong. I do have the OEM charger cord and will swap to that, and i have a second one from a stream tablet that works as well.

-Screen is a fingerprint magnet. Hoping a skinomi or zagg screen protector will help with that.

-2.4GHz wifi ONLY. No 5GHz band. If i had known this before, i may not have gotten it. At my rented cottage, i have a older N router that does 2.4 OR 5, not both at the same time. I was using 5 for the range and the fact that nobody around had 5. Had to set it back to 2.4
on July 23, 2015
I believe this may be premature as I've only had this tablet for couple days, of which I've been pretty busy with other things. But what I have seen, I like a lot.

Everything is relative. I own a Samsung Galaxy 2 7” tablet, a Samsung Galaxy 3 7” tablet, a Samsung (Nook) Galaxy 4 7”, an Amazon Kindle Fire HDX (an older model), a Kindle, a Nook Glow and an eMatic 7” tablet (ugh). So when I say I like this tablet a lot, it means I think it is exceeding everything else I own. I would never have wandered from Samsung if my Samsung “Nook” Galaxy didn't have the inadequate speaker system. (I don't use headphones, but I did plug it into a speaker system, and that was ok.)

Then there's the great price, and the really cool stylus, the great speakers, and, and, and... and the reviews about the front facing camera being less than hoped for are actually true. Not a problem for me personally. Your mileage may vary.

This is a Google over-loaded tablet, running Android, the Google operating system. But that isn't actually a bad thing.

There are a lot of things I want this thing to do for me and it sure looks like it will easily serve all my particular needs. The comparable Samsung 4, 16gb, (refurbished, with that one lousy speaker) at a quick glance was twice the price. (I'm sure some diligent shopping could produce a better price comparison).

I've plugged in a 32 GB SD card, and I've yet to load it with the apps I really want. Nor have I tried it under fire yet, but it looks solid to me. I'm impressed. Should I run into any concerns I'll be back to amend this review. Today, however, I'm happy.
on April 14, 2014
as the title says, had this tablet come with 2gb ram, I probably would've bought it months ago

after waiting and waiting for Samsung to put out the 8.4 Pro ... and even pre-ordering it ... I got to finally handle one in the "showroom" ... one homescreen, eh? ... I canceled my pre-order

then I saw the reviews on this thing piling up ... everyone says, 1gb is just fine on this tablet

and, I was curious to see how well the stylus worked

simply amazing! ... just like drawing on paper

I really feel a little bad for HP ... had they simply put 2gb ram in this, they'd easily outsell Nexus 7

for that matter, had they made their 8in Slate work as well with the same stylus, and 2gb ram in that, at $300-ish, they'd easily outsell most anything else ... talk about missing the boat!

anyhow, if you're looking for something to take handwritten notes, for the money, ya can't beat this tablet

regardless of money, this is still a strong contender
3 people found this helpful
on October 21, 2015
Broke after 4 months. Charging port no longer works.
HP Customer Dis-Service dept lives up to its name.
After spending hours in the phone tree hell I quit and tried online support. After an hour of arguing with me, HP agreed to replace the tablet.
Two weeks later--no replacement. HP says not until October 30th. HP no longer manufactures these, so I have no idea how they are going to replace it with a new tablet.....
Look at the HP support discussion boards. EVERY HP tablet has issues with broken micro-USB charging ports. If you are lucky, it will happen while it is under warranty, you just have to wait several months for a replacement. One month wait (as in my case) is not too bad, considering what others have gone thru.
3 people found this helpful
on April 1, 2014
The NV Tegra 4 sure makes everything run pretty snappy on the tablet. The two speakers makes the sound great, watching videos or listening to music. The screen is nice even though its only 1280x800(736) still its good enough for a 7in tablet, it plays most common formats mp4 and some avi. The feel of the device is quite nice, well built. It doesn't feel cheap. The camera is also nice, despite its only 5mp(no flash), it has auto focus and a set of potions to play around with it. The stylus pen its rather good, surprisingly it feels heavy for a pen. I might order one for my slate 7 plus. The only 2 and half cons are, its still running on JB 4.2 no word on HP if it will ever release 4.3 or move to Kit Kat, kind of strange given this is a rebranded Tegra note and that one NV already release the update to Kit Kat, so why won't HP do the same? The other issue you can't move apps to the micro SD card, on the plus side it allows micro SD cards up to 64GB just reformat it using FAT32 before insert into the tablet, feel free to add movies, photos and songs but that's it. The other odd issue its that some games are not compatible with this device, even though the games were meant to be played on the Tegra 4. Overall its a very nice tablet with lots of features, forgot to mention I haven't try the mini HDMI connector to plug the tablet to my tv, so if anyone has try it please let me know how well it works.
2 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on June 26, 2015
I have had this now for a couple months and love the power of the tegra 4 processor. it has handled everything I have thrown at it game wise and still not having a problem. Rooted it a week ago and the tablet runs even smoother and some apps run cleaner now. Just wish the charger was a little stronger it doesn't kick out enough amps to charge while using it like my other tablets do. It doesn't take more then dont root unless you know what you are doing. an hour and 15 minute to charge so not to bad. Only other complaint I have is I wish they would have done something like Samsung's and Microsofts split screen (2 windows on 1 screen) would have made it more functional and business worthy. Come on with that much power under the hood HP could have done so much more with this tablet.
I constantly try to keep up with technology and see what I can do with the next item I buy. the last item I bought and rooted was a Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7 p3113 and still functions perfectly, I love working, playing and messing with technology. I enjoy a challenge.
I can't wait to see what next years tablet challenge will be.

If you are looking for a great tablet to run most of the apps on google play, the storage to install it, the power to run it with out a problem and the option to select your power mode, this is the perfect tablet it even comes with a stylus for drawing and works well my wife has drawn quite a few drawings already.