Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "HP Envy 5540 Wireless All-in-One Photo Printer wit..." and save 57% off the $129.99 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
HP Envy 5540 Wireless All-in-One Photo Printer with Mobile Printing, Instant Ink ready (K7C85A)
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Main functions of this HP color inkjet photo printer: copy, scan, wireless printing, AirPrint, two-sided duplex printing, touchscreen, Instant Ink ready so you'll never run out of ink.
- Mobile printing: print from anywhere using your smartphone or tablet with the free HP ePrint app, easily print from your iPhone or iPad with AirPrint, print even without a network using Wireless Direct printing
- The built-in photo tray lets you print 4x6-inch photos in brilliant color without changing paper.Paper sizes supported: Letter, 4 x 6 in, 5 x 7 in, 8 x 10 in, No. 10 envelopes. One-year limited hardware warranty; 24-hour, 7 days a week Web support
- Borderless photos are printed right to the edge of the paper. You get beautiful photo prints with no trimming! Scan to email: Save time by sending scanned documents or photos directly from your printer to email recipients Paper sizes supported: Letter
- Save up to 50% on Ink with HP Instant Ink: ordered by your printer and delivered to your door before you run out (optional subscription required). Use Original HP 62 Ink cartridges to print up to 2x the pages as refilled cartridges
- One-year limited hardware warranty; 24-hour, 7 days a week Web support
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Special offers and product promotions
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
From the manufacturer
|Learn more||Currently viewing||Learn more||Learn more|
|Functions||Print, Scan, Copy||Print, Scan, Copy||Print, Scan, Copy||Print, Scan, Copy, Fax|
|Print speed black/color (up to)||9.5 ppm black, 6.8 ppm color||12 ppm black, 8 ppm color||14 ppm black, 9 ppm color||14 ppm black, 9 ppm color|
|Paper sizes supported (inches)||Letter, legal, No. 10 envelope, 3x5, 4x6, 5x7, 8x10||Letter, legal, No. 10 envelope, 3x5, 4x6, 5x7, 8x10||Letter, legal, No. 10 envelope, 3x5, 4x6, 5x7, 8x10||Letter, legal, No. 10 envelope, 3x5, 4x6, 5x7, 8x10|
|Auto document feeder (pages)||25-sheet|
|Auto duplex printing||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Display (inches)||2.2 mono touchscreen||2.2 mono touchscreen||2.65 color touchscreen||3.5 color touchscreen|
|Dimensions (inches)||17.52 x 14.45 x 5.04||17.87 x 16.14 x 6.14||17.87 x 16.14 x 6.34||17.87 x 16.14 x 7.60|
|Paper tray capacity (input, output)||100 sheets, 25 sheets||125 sheets, 15 sheets photo, 25 sheets||125 sheets, 15 sheets photo, 25 sheets||125 sheets, 15 sheets photo, 25 sheets|
|Learn more||Learn more||Learn more||Learn more||Learn more||Learn more|
|Description||Print with confidence with standard yield HP cartridges||Print with confidence with standard yield HP cartridges||Print high volumes with high yield HP XL cartridges||Print high volumes with high yield HP XL cartridges||Shop less often and get the convenience of more than one HP cartridge in the pack||Subscription plans—includes ink, recycling and free shipping. Save up to 50% on ink and never run out|
|Page yield (each)||Up to 200 pages||Up to 165 pages||Up to 600 pages||Up to 415 pages||Black: Up to 200 pages; Tri-color: Up to 165 pages||50, 100 or 300 pages/month|
|Cartridge color||Black||Tri-color||Black||Tri-color||Black, Tri-color||Black, Tri-color|
|What's in the box||1 ink cartridge: Black||1 ink cartridge: Tri-color||1 ink cartridge: XL Black||1 ink cartridge: XL Tri-color||2 ink cartridges: Black, Tri-color||Enrollment card; requires online registration|
Compare to similar items
|Price||From $55.12||Add to cart to see price. Why?||Add to cart to see price. Why?||$83.99||$169.99||$76.98|
|Shipping||—||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||Available from these sellers||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Bebesafe||Lid Studio||Value Rush|
|Color||Black||black||Black||Black||Black & color||Black|
|Connectivity Technology||Wi-Fi; USB||USB; Wi-Fi||USB; Wi-Fi||Wi-Fi; USB||Wireless;USB||USB | Wi-Fi Mobile|
|Item Dimensions||17.87 x 16.14 x 6.14 in||17.52 x 14.45 x 5.04 in||17.72 x 14.33 x 8.54 in||17.87 x 16.14 x 6.34 in||17.52 x 13.15 x 4.72 in||17.5 x 13.17 x 5 in|
|Item Weight||15.04 lbs||11.93 lbs||12.37 lbs||15.04 lbs||12.27 lbs||14 lbs|
|Maximum Print Speed (Black and White)||12 pages_per_minute||20 pages_per_minute||20 pages_per_minute||—||21 pages_per_minute||8.8 pages_per_minute|
|Media Size Maximum||8.5 x 14 inch||8.5 x 14 inch||8.5 x 14 inch||8.5 x 14 inch||8.5 x 14 inch||8.5 x 14 inch|
|Operating System||Windows, Mac||Windows, Mac||Windows, Mac||Windows, Mac||Windows, Mac, Linux||Windows, Mac|
|Print Media Type||Transparencies, Envelopes, Paper (plain)||Unknown||Envelopes, Paper (plain)||Envelopes, Paper (plain)||Card stock, Transparencies, Labels, Envelopes, Paper (plain)||Back print film|
|Additional Features||Auto-Document Feeder||Packed & Shipped by Amazon!||Auto-Document Feeder||Network-Ready||Create in fewer steps. View photos and print from the 2.65-inch (6.74 cm) color touchscreen and card slots., Both sides of savings—save time and paper with automatic two-sided printing.||Auto-Document Feeder|
You can afford to be creative with HP Instant Ink: Save on Original HP ink—ordered by your printer—and print photos and documents for the same low price. Get high-quality prints—time after time—with an all-in-one designed and built to be reliable. Print more for less with Original HP high-yield ink cartridges.
Easily create, without the wait: Snap. Print. Enjoy. Easily print lab-quality photos from a variety of smartphones and tablets. Start printing and get connected quickly with easy setup from your smartphone, tablet, or PC. Manage printing tasks and scan from your mobile device with a free HP All-in-One Printer Remote mobile app.
Make quick work of creative tasks: Be sure your projects always look good. Print borderless, lab-quality photos and laser-quality documents. The built-in photo tray lets you print 4x6-inch photos in brilliant color without changing paper. Print remotely without worries—the auto-deploying output tray keeps your pages from landing on the floor.
Make it easy: Print photo projects, or scan and copy documents, using the 2.2-inch (5.5 cm) graphics touchscreen display. Easily print at up to 12 pages per minute (ppm) for black-and-white and 8 ppm for color. Print in any room you choose—without causing disruptions—using the optional quiet mode.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Setup was extremely easy. Before powering the printer up, I removed all of the tape that kept all lose parts secure for transportation. The printer comes with two cartridges, black and multi-color. Once you load the cartridges, connect the printer to a power outlet. Follow the prompts and complete the setup by pointing your browser to 123.hp.com/setup. Once you download the software, it will guide you through an extremely easy setup process that should not take more than 5 minutes, depending on the specs of your computer.
- Prints quickly
- Sharp text
- Unlike in early inkjets, this ink is water resistant!
- A very quiet printer
- Easy setup and operation
- Scan resolution 1200 dpi
- Low yield of toner cartridges, approximately 200 pages per cartridge, at $22 per cartridge. This is a typical situation with ink-based printers across many brands. Note, the industry standard for a page (in order to declare proper cartridge yield) is a one inch by one inch full color/black square, printed on a sheet of paper.
Photo Print Quality
- The photo quality is acceptable, hence my 4 star rating. The quality is hardly comparable with professionally printed photos, those you would typically order online or print at your local store. The colors are not entirely accurate when compared to my original digital photos. Printed images are not sharp/crisp enough either. However, I do not expect using the printer heavily for my photo printing needs, rather an occasional photo printed for myself or a family member.
Tex Print Quality
- For text printing, I primarily use my black and white HP LaserJet P1006 since laser printers surpass inkjets in speed and sharpness of the printed text. To my surprise, this HP Envy 5540 does exceptionally well when it comes to printing text. This should be more than enough for light to moderate use for home or school related tasks.
Overall, this a very capable color printer best suited for home use that can produce excellent results when printing reports, color cover pages, and occasional 4X6 photos.
***June 16, 2017 Update***
I ended up not using the printer after all. When the toner ran out, it just sat there, collecting dust, mainly due to heavy ink usage, its cost, and very low quality of photo printing. I've had better experience with other HP and competitor products when it comes to print quality. This model, in particular, is not something I would rely on or pick as my first choice among ink printers.
Things I like:
1) This was a very easy printer to set up. After going to the HP link provided in the instructions, my WIFI network found the printer and download the software. I was happy this process was easy.
2) It prints black and white files, such as Word documents, super-fast. In fact, it is so fast, I was shocked. I also have an HP Laserjet Pro M201, and the Envy blows it out of the water.
3) I like the fact that there are only two ink cartridges. The color ink is combined into one. This makes it a bit easier to manage. Our older color printer had several colors, and if one ran out, the printer did not want to print. I felt like we were always changing cartridges. With the Envy, this should be much easier to manage.
4) Most of the features on the small touch screen (see comment in the dislikes) are intuitive. I was able to navigate the printer’s features without looking at a manual.
5) The color prints are good enough for most people (see comment in the dislikes). If you want a nice print of a photo, either for you, your desk, or maybe a relative, most people will be happy with the end result. And the printer printed color prints quickly as well.
Things I dislike:
1) The touch screen is small, and there is no reason for this. The front of the printer has a huge amount of real estate, and there is no reason why the touch screen has to be so small. I had to push button more than once because my finger missed the button. You have to scroll left and right, and even up and down, to read text or find buttons. They could have easily doubled the size of this screen and not used up the wasted space on the front of the printer. This would have made it easier to press buttons and navigate the screen.
2) The Envy advertises itself as “lab quality” prints. I highly disagree. First, this is an inkjet, and can never match the quality of a good laserjet. Second, I decided to print a few photos from my image collection, photos that contained nearly every type of color element in the spectrum. My monitor is color corrected. The first print came out very red and dark. I had to color correct my photos to compensate for this in Photoshop. Once I go the colors to match what I thought the printer would show, I finally got a good print. However, details are not there. For example, I can see the fine details of a picture frame in the background on my screen in Photoshop. The same details comes out as a muted black line in the print. As much as I tried to compensate for this, the printer just could not handle the details. Again, as I stated earlier, most people will not notice this once it is in a frame and far from the eye. But since I am looking for “lab quality” images, I can safely say that I did not get that from these prints.
3) The scanner ability, although a nice touch on a printer at this price point, has serious problems scanning detail, especially fine black lines. I used one of those sticker sheets with my name and address (the kind you get from companies sending you donation requests). I felt this would be a good test of the scanner’s abilities. Each time I scanned this sheet, I opened the file in Photoshop. I was surprised by the lack of detail, including the very odd horizontal lines and pixelization of the black lines that make up the letters in my name and address. I continued to up the DPI and increase the setting, including trying different scan techniques. In the end, each scan was about the same quality, which I would rate as very poor. If you need a quick scan of some inconsequential document, this might suffice. But you need something that has value and you demand quality, this is not the scanner I would use.
4) I hate, HATE, HP’s new intrusive ads that pop up. They want me to subscribe to ink and photo paper. This comes as a printed ad in the printer box, as an internet ad when you install the drivers, and as an ad in the HP tools. I think it even pops up when I quit the software. Talk about overkill; if I want to subscribe I will. I do not need a constant reminder every single time I activate the printer.
Overall, this printer is probably going to be fine for most people. It is easy to set up and I was printing documents and photos very quickly. It is fast at what it does, but the end result really depends on your expectations. For a quick, decent photo, this printer will make most people happy. If you are looking for perfection, you will need to look elsewhere. Although I like the idea of a scanner built in, I find its abilities lacking. Although this is a good printer, I would not call it a “perfect” printer for me.
Most recent customer reviews
Have been using the printer for little more than a year primarily for printing...Read more