Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: HP v125 8 GB USB Flash Drive P-FD8GBHP125-AZ
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports

Capacity: 8 GB|Package Type: Frustration-Free Packaging|Change

on July 17, 2013
I use flash drives properly (keep the caps on when not being used, eject them using the OS software before dismounting them from the machine, etc.) and I have two of these in the 16GB size. The first one failed within two weeks of ownership and I got a complete run around from HP on a RMA return as there is no HP model number or serial number. Here is the reason as I ultimately found out -- they are HP-branded PNY USB flash drives. I finally received a replacement from PNY. The problem was that the drive was not recognized in multiple laptop and desktop machines. Then one of the drives developed bad sectors that cannot be repaired. I determined this to be the case by trying to reformat the drive repeatedly and then ran multiple USB tools to find the bad sectors. By using a partition tool, I cut the drive size and can use it, but don't trust it. I still have one working 16GB stick but only use it to transfer files because I don't trust either of these HP/PNY flash drives. A caveat to everyone who uses any type of flash-based memory (including SSDs) - flash memory has a finite number of times it can be written and rewritten, all of it will eventually break. If you are going to use removable flash memory, make sure you eject it before you pull it out. If you need to backup your data, burn it onto DVDs and/or an external hard drive, USB flash is not reliable enough for backup data. When you buy USB flash drives, read all the reviews and try to select one of the better manufacturers. I have multiple flash drives from other brands and none of them have given me the problems these HP/PNYs have.
on August 11, 2010
Bought (2) of these from Staples, they were having a "sale" of $20. Opened one, it was DOA. Being that i still desperately needed a flash drive that night, I opened the other (this time with a razor blade so that i wouldn't destroy the packaging) and it was also DOA. Tried both drives on 3 different computers (windows and mac). Went back to staples, and it wouldn't even work on their computers. They let me have a full refund. But please don't waste your time, patience, money, and shipping on this item. HP can't make a reliable flash drive to save their lives and this has been well documented on both consumer and professional review sites.

in short, AVOID at all costs.
on June 26, 2012
I bought one of these 16GB drives last October. It's worked fine on my Windows 7, 12GB RAM, Intel Core i7 x980 64-bit computer. Today it just quit working for no apparent reason. Plug it in, Windows 7 gives it's characteristic sound that indicates it's mounted, but no drive icon appears. Disk Management doesn't see it. If I plug it into my other machine (eMachines Win XP) and do a restart, it hangs it up before Windows even starts. Lucky for me, I do regular backups to 3 places (one internal hard drive, one external Maxtor hard drive, and a DVD being used as a disk drive), so at least I lost nothing. Even more frustrating, I have another HP drive exactly like this one except it's only 8GB...and it works perfectly. Not that I can ever trust it again. Also, I visited HP's website to look for support/drivers. Ha Ha. I cut and pasted their product number from the Amazon page, and the search returned 129 product listings...none of which are USB flash drives. Won't be buying any HP products in future.
on March 4, 2013
I bought this as an extra storage device for my XBOX 360 4GB Slim, and it works great! It's fast enough and meets XBOX requirements for an extra storage device. The only problem is that it is too thick to fit in the USB slots in the back of the console, so you have to plug it in into the front slots.
If you're getting this for a computer or other device, it should work fine since it's fast enough for XBOX storage.
on July 27, 2009
Bought this flash drive because it was cheap, but its quite fast as well.
Just compared it to a year old Memorex Traveldrive and it is about twice the speed for a multifile write as well as a multi-file erase operation.

I wrote a 520 MB folder to it. The folder contained several subfolders as well, and had a total of 1167 objects. Write time for the HP v125W 4 GB was 2 minutes, 30 seconds. Erase time was 35 seconds. For the Memorex (also a 4 GB), write time was 4 minutes 30 seconds and erase time was 52 seconds. Both tests were done using Vista Home Premium on a new-model HP machine with a Vista performance index of 4.6. I also tried a test at work, and can't remember the exact time, but I'm pretty sure it was even faster under XP ;-)
Anyway, its a small, low-cost drive with good speed. Go for it !
on May 30, 2013
I bought this to expand the memory on my X-box 360. Plugged it in and was up and running in less than a minute. I got this really cheap, the "Xbox model" was almost $23 more for the same thing!!
on July 19, 2013
Once upon a time there were semi-valid excuses for not making regular backups. The flash drive changed all of that. They couldn't be more convenient. It's like having a portable hard drive in the palm of your hand. I use them to back up my genealogy records, avoiding a repeat performance of the "what's that smell?" fiasco when the fan abruptly failed and the drive melted, taking months of research with it. I also leave one plugged into an unused internal port for extra storage.

I've purchased several of these, all the same brand, and each one has been a winner. No problems at all. They arrived in record time and very well package. You couldn't ask for more.
on September 13, 2012
The cost of thumb drive memory has fallen to the point that they are reasonable
to use for archiving data. HP thumb drives tend to work on many systems with various
file formats. I have never had one fail.

These 8 GB drives are great for sharing files between devices. One example is putting vast
picture files on one and viewing them on a big screen HDTV.

Drives with a removable cap do present the possibility of the caps getting lost. I still prefer
them over one piece drives with a male sliding USB contact.

I am hopeful that the drop in the price of memory will soon become apparent in the SSD application.
Saying goodbye to moving parts in computers, especially laptops, will be a very nice thing.
on September 25, 2013
I have an xbox 360, purchased in 2005, with a 4GB HD. Bought GTA5 and couldn't download it (requires 8GB storage). Checked out 16GB flash drives... some of them going for $40-$60. This little beauty (11 bucks!) arrived in my mailbox 3 days after ordering, plugged it in configured it in the xbox settings and it's working perfectly. Don't get ripped off, just buy this.
on May 28, 2014
Lots of storage space and small enough to put in your pocket or a case. I use it to back up my photos so they do not take up space on my computer, and also in case my computer crashes, I have a back up of them