Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 27 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 207 reviews
on June 21, 2010
I have had my EVO for 5 days now. Having replaced my HTC Hero with the EVO, it was a snap to set up as I was already familiar with Android O/S. I was unable to make the Hero work for me, primarily because the screen is simply too small to be effective with a touch screen keyboard. I evaluated the iPhone, but without exception, everyone I know that has one, loves the phone, hates the network.

The EVO is big, but to me it is just right. The screen size is big enough that I have no issues typing on the virtual keyboard. The resolution of that big screen is impressive enough that it really is a practical interface to a variety of media aps, like YouTube. It's kind of like a practical iPad. Bigger than you'd like for a phone alone. Big enough and powerful enough to actually use as a portable computing/internet device. But not so big that you can't slip it in your pocket and take it everywhere. I bought the Platinum case with holster - I'll review it separately, but suffice to say that I am happy with it.

There are an unlimited number of practical apps for the phone, and with Google behind the Android operating system, there is no doubt that this will be the platform of choice for developers in the future.

I ordered the phone from Amazon and it arrived several days in advance of the promised date.

While not listed on Sprint's website, apparently Nashville has some limited 4G. I found that I could receive it in the Sprint Store, and it was amazingly fast. Push enter, and the screen loads. It is also very fast on wi-fi. However, while I have found the Sprint network to be mostly reliable and available wherever I travel (I travel a lot), I have always found the 3G to be too painfully slow to use - except when you absolutely have to access something.

In summary, a great media phone, great operating system, lot's of apps and a reliable voice network. Only drawback (probably not unique to sprint) is slow speed on 3G, but more than fast enough on wi-fi, or if you are lucky enough to live in a 4G area. Make sure you are comfortable with the size before you commit, but my advice is to try a live phone. You may be put off by the size until you actually see what it is capable of doing.
on March 3, 2011
All in all, a very solid device. Looking back at my dusty iPhone 3GS is like going back in time a generation. There's a lot to like about EVO. The screen a stunning, call quality is superb. The phone is very ergonomically constructed. BUT, what I like the most is customizability of Android and ability (once rooted) to install custom ROMs. Android is a funny beast. Out of the box experience is nothing short of traumatic, but don't let it form your opinion. Coming to Android from iPhone was at first shocking, but you quickly realize that the operating system is very much open ended and you can get your phone to work for you the way you want to, and not the way Steve intended. Long story short, I ended up with MIUI ROM with Cyanogen kernel. For homescreen I use combination of MIUI and SlideScreen Beta (the one that allows you to have more than a single homescreen). This makes a killer combo!

The only two problems I have are:

1. Battery life. It is poorish. Can be overcome with SetCPU and Auto Kill Memory -- easily gets me through a day of good use.
2. The way sprint implements callwaiting on Android.

So, highly recommend it! Hack away and enjoy!
on September 19, 2010
Though I am a happy owner of a first-generation iPhone, I was not a happy subscriber of AT&T's overpriced service plans. When my contract expired this year, I decided to investigate Android-based phones on other service providers, mostly Sprint and T-Mobile since their calling and data plan packages averaged much lower in monthly costs than the market-leaders, AT&T and Verizon.

First off, most honest reviewers who have any experience with both an iPhone and Android-based phone must acknowledge that overall, few phones running Android approach the polish and ease-of-use as the iPhone's iOS user interface. However, one of the greatest strengths of the Android platform is what sets it apart from the iPhone: the ability to install and run many different applications or add-ons that change the overall user interface or core features of the phone. I am reviewing the EVO 4G phone and not the operating system, but I think it is impossible to review the phone without considering the OS, just as you cannot review the iPhone without considering some of the pros and cons of its OS. The main items that I was concerned about when considering the EVO and that I will address are:

1. Battery Life - many reviewers gave poor marks to the EVO 4G for poor battery life

2. Availability of Applications I care about using - smartphones aren't very smart if you can't use them to access the content you are most interested in

3. Misc - a decent camera, phone sound quality (it is a phone, after all), availability of 3G or 4G data wireless network where I am the most, sufficient mobile access to my email and calendar

My Thoughts:
(1) Battery life is by far the trickiest concern on this list. The EVO has a big screen and 5 radios (3G, 4G, WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth) to slurp up all available battery power very quickly. The main factor is to consider how often you truly need each one of those radios to be on and to only turn them on when necessary - this will significantly extend the life of the battery on a day-to-day basis. Personally, I use the WiFi a lot when I am at home or a coffee shop to surf the web or check email, but unless I am driving, I rarely turn on the GPS or Bluetooth. Some location-aware applications prefer or require GPS to be on, but much like the radios, the more applications that are running in the background on your EVO, the faster the battery will run out of juice. I only turn on the 4G if I want a faster surfing experience when I am checking email or reading the news (yes, the Sprint 4G with two or more bars tends to be faster than most WiFi in my experience), but otherwise, it is redundant to have 4G enabled when the 3G is always on (except, of course, in airplane mode). On the same point as the number of applications that are running in the background, I cannot stress enough the importance of installing an app-killer program such as Advanced Task Killer (ATK) (ad-supported free version in the Android Market) which allows you to either manually select applications to close that are running in the background or even (carefully) allow the task killer application to periodically kill running programs. ATK conveniently allows you to add or remove applications from the "ignore" list so that if you always want your email app running or a to-do task application running, they will not be closed by the task killer app.

My average battery life without heavy web-surfing/data access is 6-8 hours. With heavy surfing and WiFi or 4G radios on for an extended period of time, expect 3-5 hours, at most.

To summarize battery tips:
1-a) assess which radios you really need to have turned on and actively manage (this is not hard in the Android user interface)
1-b) install and use a task killer application to keep applications from running and draining your battery

(2) Applications I care about using. Besides alternatives to the installed email and voicemail applications, I mostly access the web on the go to keep up on news and events that I care about. All of the major news outlets and geeky websites either have an Android application (NPR, BBC, ABC, [...], [...], etc.) or a nicely-formatted mobile website ([...], etc.). Just like the iPhone, some applications allow for push-notifications so that you receive "breaking news" alerts in the phone's main status bar. Keep in mind that while these alerts are cool, if you are not intensely interested in constant updates from a given website or service, you may want to decrease the frequency the alerts are checked for or turn them off altogether, as alerts will require the application to run in the background and chip away at your battery life. One disappointment for me was that while Chase bank has a really cool application for the iPhone, they current have nothing for Android, while Bank of America, US Bank, ING Direct and many others have some sort of Android-specific application. I am also a regular user of the CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) in Chicago, so a bus-tracker application is a must (though the CTA's mobile site has improved dramatically) because most apps let you save "favorite" routes so that you don't have to plug in the bus line, stop and direction over and over again. Overall, if there is something you want to do repeatedly online, there is likely an Android application to help you do it easily.

My biggest caution with apps on Android is that while Google is not annoying us by limiting users from accessing, buying or installing applications on our phones like Apple does with the iPhone App Store, Android phone users are also more susceptible to installing applications that can waste battery life or phone memory because they are programmed poorly (does anyone really need a fart application?!) or worse yet, install a malware application that could steal personal information or otherwise compromise your privacy. I try not to install applications unless I read a favorable review on a website I trust ([...], a major news outlet, [...], [...], etc.) or it is provided by Google or my cell carrier (Sprint).

(3) Misc. The sound quality is more important than I can emphasize, but since so many people (myself included) get caught up in the latest features and gee-whiz goodies on smartphones, I wanted to mention this. I have been pleasantly surprised that the sound quality and volume control on the EVO 4G has exceeded my expectations. Whether holding it to my ear, using a wired earphone or (occasionally) using the speakerphone feature, the phone has been clear and (mostly attributable to Sprint) with almost no dropped calls in the 2+ months I have owned the phone.

3G/4G availability - Fortunately, in Chicago there is a fairly good 4G footprint with Sprint (as of September, 2010) so that I can use it in many parts of the city. 4G penetration into large buildings is not always great, so don't expect to have 4G data service in a high-rise (though I have before) or in a basement. 3G service is pretty good too, especially considering how patchy some carriers' service footprints can be. IMPORTANT NOTE: Sprint does charge a $10 monthly fee (at least when I signed up in July, 2010) on top of any phone/data plan if you buy and subscribe to their service using a 4G phone. Even if you don't live in an area that currently has 4G service, you will be charged the $10 premium data access service.

In regards to camera quality, the EVO has an 8.0 megapixel lens/sensor that takes generally good photos in natural light as well as indoors. The EVO also has two LEDs next to the lens that function as a flash if they are needed, or they can be manually turned on. The HTC-customized camera interface is fairly impressive for a cell-phone camera and allows you to control (somewhat) things such as saturation and brightness. If you have the GPS radio turned on, you can even enable a photo geo-tagging option that will add data to your phone photos that indicate where the photos were taken.

Email applications, etc. If you are a Gmail user, you can stop here because the included Google Gmail app is a very smooth interface for the popular service. If you also (or instead) use another service such as Yahoo or Hotmail, there are other options available. Included with HTC phones such as the EVO 4G is a decent "Mail" application that allows you to add pretty much any flavor of webmail or POP mail account. While testing it, I at one point had one each of Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail accessed out of it. Currently, I am using the Google Gmail app for Gmail, the Yahoo! Mail app for Yahoo mail (because it honestly makes the experience better than other options, so far) and the HTC "Mail" app for Hotmail. Not ideal to have three apps for three flavors of email account, but I can't stand mingling my accounts that I use for very different purposes. One other email application that I have tried and like is named "K9 Mail" and is an open-source Android mail app. I am hoping that as it continues to improve and become a little more polished, I will stop using the Yahoo! Mail and HTC Mail apps.

That is my long-winded review of what was important to me when I considered the EVO 4G, but feel free to ask any questions about my experience with the phone.
on January 21, 2011
I took a risk from jumping from the iPhone 3GS to the Evo. I really thought the iPhone was an excellent phone, but it pales in comparison the Evo and to the Android OS in general. While most settings in the iPhone are set in stone, the Android powered Evo allows the user to make the phone extremely personalized in each and every way, from custom operating systems, to different keyboard layouts, one-touch navigation directions, video chat over cellular network, custom widgets, and on and on. One could write a book on advantage of Android vs iOS, but in short, the iPhone OS is simply a page of apps, whereas the Android's OS is so much more, making the phone experience more personal, more fun, and more productive. Two key disadvantages in the iPhone vs EVO battle: The clarity of the iPhone's retina display is purely unmatched. When you zoom in on HD pictures and take a close look, the iPhone is by far clearer and sharper than any other device. The 2nd disadvantage is battery life. Evo's battery drains fast due to the more complex Android OS and the Evo hardware power requirements. While the iPhone can stay charged during normal usage for 2-3 days, count on recharging the Evo before the end of your 8-hour day.

If you are comparing the Evo to other Android powered devices, you'll want to consider both hardware and software specs. The key competitor between the Evo and other Android phones is Verizon's Motorola Droid X. In terms of hardware, the Evo's huge 4.3" HD screen is unbeatable, and only matched by Motorola. This larger screen makes typing on the virtual keyboard much more accurate and easier to use than smaller screens. A very similar typing experience to the 4.3" screen of the Moto Droid X, but because the Evo's shape is smooth and continuous, unlike the glaring protrusion of the camera on the back of the Droid X, the Evo both looks and feels better in this department than the Droid X and any other phone. The Evo also has the awesome 8.0 MP camera, capable of taking the most stunning HD pictures, turning you into a semi-professional photographer. The 1 GHz processor and 512 MB of memory makes the Evo a very sharp, crisp, and lag-free phone. Of course, if you wanted more power, the Android OS lets you unleash the nerdy side of you, and work on things like custom operating systems and overclocking.

Comparing the software side of the Evo to other Android devices, the key ingredient here is HTC's home screen launcher they call HTC Sense. This home screen launcher is what sets HTC devices apart from other Android phones, in terms of look and feel of the phone. I have compared HTC Sense with the likes of Samsung's Touch Wiz, and the custom Launcher Pro. Overall, I adore HTC sense because of it's extremely useful, simple, and well decorated widgets, and dock at the bottom of the screen. Again, thanks to the open-source of Android, you can always tinker and play around with home screen settings and different home screen launcher apps to make the experience exactly fitting to you.

As for the Sprint network, I personally have been extremely satisfied overall. One thing that is hard to swallow is Sprint's $10/m charge for 4G, even if you don't use it. Right now, 4G is so spotty, that unless you are in a well covered area, the 4G actually DECREASES the phone's speed because it gets bogged down with trying to retain a weak connection. However, in a well covered area, the speeds area amazing at around 4 mbps and under 100 ms ping times. When 4G isn't available, the 3G coverage is reliable and fast. When I was making the jump from AT&T, I considered Verizon and Sprint, and ultimately chose Sprint because of much better pricing. Under their family plan, you can select 2 lines for $129.99 and be sure that you will never go over thanks to unlimited mobile-mobile calling, texting, and web data. Of course, that doesn't include the $10/m mandatory extra charge for 4G. Even with that, Verizon's plan would set you back around $170/m if you were to get unlimited calling among 10 favorites, which is almost a must to have since their included minutes are so few.

For me, I am glad I made the switch, and I am much more impressed with the Evo than I ever was with the iPhone.
on July 19, 2010
I purchased my EVO over a month ago and it has been a true pleasure owning this phone. The screen clarity and screen size is second to none. This phone has so much to offer that the average user will never fully take advatage of its true capabilities. Of course with every great there must be a down fall, so my only dislikes about this phone are as follows:
Battery Life: If you leave everything turn on, it will eat your batterie up in less than 6 hours. I found out that by just simply turning on things when i need them i was able to extend the battery life by about 30%.

Size: It is great having a screen this size but you will also have to deal with a big fairly bulky phone: I don't mind since my hands are fairly large but someone with small hands might find it a bit difficult to navigate using just one hand.

Email Notifications: If you use Gmail like I do, once you recieved an email, you will need to access like 3 different screens to clear the little icon that shows when you recieve a message. I'm sure is not a phone issue, it must be an operator issue and they way i have ot set up.

Over all, I think the HTC EVO and the Sprint Service has been well worth it. I am a former blackberry isuer and even though i prefere the size of the blackberry, this phone truly is amazing and i am happy I made the change.

Oscar
on December 1, 2016
No it only worked a week
on October 20, 2010
I bought this phone to get away from my Blackberry and the carrier (AT&T). First let me say I had a good run with my Blackberry 9000, then the 9700. But they kept cutting off and re-booting themselves, and the carrier would do nothing about it.

Now back to my take on the HTC EVO 4G phone. I've had the EVO for a week now, and I'm very happy to say it hasn't re-booted itself. So I'm happy with that. It's larger than I expected, but that ok. It feels good while holding it, and looks even better. The calls are clear and my people can hear me just fine.

I'm not to happy with the calendar on it. It doesn't let me do some things my Blackberry did, but I can and will live it. It's way faster than my Blackberry was when it comes to opening up web pages. And of course the 4.3inch screen helps a lot. For me the phone is like carrying around a mini computer. The web pages looks like my computer screen when I open a web page.

Call signal is good. And the place where I work really blocks out cell phone signals. But so far my EVO is getting me a strong signal while I'm at work.

It connected to my wifi with no problem, and to my blue tooth stereo headset. Again I do a lot of talking using my blue tooth, and I'm happy my calls are clear, and I don't have to keep repeating myself.

Now the apps for the phone is crazy. I fell asleep while looking through all the apps this phone has, and like a buddy of mine said, most of the apps are FREE, FREE, and did I say FREE APPS.

Well that's all I have to comment about this phone on here. If you're looking for a good phone to replace anything you have now, I would take a strong look into this HTC EVO 4G PHONE.
on June 11, 2016
I liked everything
on July 6, 2010
A little difficult to get case big enough to fit over silicone shell. Great screen performance.
Don'have 4g but monthy 10 dollar fee doesn't seem fair but cheaper than att. Like better than the iPhone I had.
on April 13, 2013
I am very pleased that bought it I'm glad that the quality is excellent and all the normal. Love it