Customer Reviews: HTC Explorer A310e Unlocked GSM Phone with Android 2.3 OS, 3.2MP Camera, GPS and
Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 New Professional Skin Care Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon bajillions bajillions bajillions  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Cycling on Amazon

on January 10, 2012
This little phone is a marvel. It has most of the bells and whistles much more expensive phones have but for fraction of their price. Also, it has the latest Sense 3.5 layered over Android 2.3.5. User interface is therefore first class. You will learn how to use it in no time.

There's a lot of applications built in: web browser, navigation, social networking, Google search, address book with deep integration with all your contacts across various media, audio and video players and recorders, Android market, calendar and organizer, e-mail clients, etc.

Connectivity is brilliant: Bluetooth 3.0, GPS, several modes for connecting to your PC, Wi-Fi, micro USB. GSM connectivity covers most bands: quad-band 2G and dual-band 3G. Also, the phone is fully unlocked, unbranded, SIM-free; you can check the software information to prove that (software revision/build number is *.401.*).

Build quality is surprisingly good for this price range, mixture of aluminum and rubberized body give a sense of holding much more expensive device in your hand. Battery life could definitely be better, but it's not a deal-breaker.

The response is snappy, considering the hardware inside. Screen is very good and clear, and covers almost whole front face of the phone. Camera is of modest quality. Audio quality is good. Video playback is limited, but this is not what this phone is really made for. Memory is big enough for several additional applications/gadgets and there's a microSD slot if you need more space.

To summarize - there are definitely better phones out there. But not for this price. All in all, this was one of my best investments ever (and I have much more expensive phones to compare it with). Highly recommended.
on July 5, 2012
There are two main problems with this phone. If you're going to be using data in the U.S., I couldn't ever find a way to get 3G working, so your fastest speed will be Edge. But the other problem is even worse - there's only 130MB of internal storage, which fills up so incredibly fast, even if all of your apps are on your SD card. It's awful, and it's constantly telling me I don't have enough memory. I keep clearing my cache and it doesn't help. Probably won't be long until Android starts crashing due to the lack of internal memory. Apart from that, it works well and is a reliable phone.
66 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 5, 2012
I bought this phone on a whim with minimal research. I was umming and aaagghing about getting an iphone but kept balking at the cost especially as I had an ipod already which I use constantly for listening to podcasts, wi-fi at home and the office, and reading books. So what did I need in a phone I finally asked myself? Phone, email and internet. Occasionally a camera and the option of reading a book if I am without my ipod. The Explorer jumped out of me in the first shop I went into after I had decided not to go down the iphone path at present. I liked the look of it including its robust rubber casing, the size and most of all the price. So just like that I bought it, and within a day of using it and realising just how much it did, I was hooked. Its easy to use even for an android beginner like me. No, its not an iphone 4S or a Samsung Galaxy but it is proof that for under $200 (and what did that buy you in the phone department five years ago? Not much) you can join the world of smart phones and embrace all the mobile technology that the everyman/woman needs. On the basis of having owned this phone for less than a week, but having operated it in two countries, I could not be happier with my spontaneous purchase and count myself as a new fan of HTC phones.

27 February. Have now had the phone about a month. Still enjoying it but it does have some issues - for example it can sometimes take a long time to 'load' which can be annoying if you need to make a phone call in a hurry. I have even had the situation where the phone was ringing but the usual swiping process to answer the phone just didn't work! Music player is nothing to write home about and no challenge to your everyday ipod. So, with that I am revising my rate down from 5 stars to 4.
on September 25, 2012
I got my new phone about a month ago, didn't rush in to review the item until a decent amount of time had passed. The price is very accomodating I will start by saying that, I like small phones, and I like smart phones, couldn't put it any other way. The reason I approached this device was because I wanted to move up from my Samsung Galaxy Mini. With this said, I clear out the fact that this is not my first experience with an android phone, and surely some comparisons will be made in this comment.

The size is very comfortable, at least for me, it fits in my hand the screen is ok, and if I can't read something, I can just easily customize it, zoom, and get it bigger. I'm not the most tech savy person but I know my decent share of phones, the principle is this, if you buy it you should be able to use it, to do the basics......make calls, receive texts, and use the internet.

The android market has alot of good apps for this phone, no complaints there. Colors are very good, more than you'd expect, camera....meh, didn't buy this for the camera, but it works in daylight. Its a plus to be able to put live wall papers on my backround, my old phone dind't have this.

I was afraid I wouldn't be able to sync this new phone because it wasn't samsung with my galaxy tab, but since they both run on android systems, I am able to use it just the same, and sync my contacts my calendar and all with it.

I preffer this phone in so many different ways, size, more modern, and faster internet app than the old one I had, but.....And this is very important. It's not dummy proof.

What do I mean, by saying this. When your internal memory is full, there is absolutely no way you will be able to use your phone. It won't let you make calls, it won't let you text, it won't let you open the internet. I totally understand phone storage, but if you can't even make a call, or open the dialer (if you were hipothetically in an emergency situation) you would be in big trouble. I actually do not appreciate that, it took me a while to find the place where you had to clear app data, or put some of it into the memory card....Still doesn't excuse not being able to make a call.

All in all, it's a good phone, I didn't feel a huge leap from the one I had already, only minor improvements, but they are still different brands. It's cheap, and it seems quite versatile, not looking for luxury, more something that can give me the simple needs, it takes on hard falls I'll tell you that :) which makes it a great phone for people who aren't too carefull. I'm sure, maybe there are more uses to the phone I have yet to unlock, but for now, this is what I have on it.
on March 21, 2012
First, one star is gone due to the seller eXpansys, Inc. who shipped me European model charger, and threw in an adapter to work in US system. Lame. If one has to get grey market units to sell them cheap here, this is not cool. It works, but now the charger is effectively two times larger since the adapter is a part of it.

Other than that, the phone is awesome, it works very well, just like several reviews here and elsewhere state, sound is very clear, reception is good, WiFi works solid, and the Android OS on it runs nice and fast. You can watch you-tube videos and whatever you want, it works very well for a small device.

Scrolling is smooth and fast, games and apps work like they should.

Bottom line, there is nothing negative about the phone itself, a definite keeper. Very sensitive screen, seems that it picks up fingers before they even touch the device, but it seems to be tamed to being just right once screen protector is placed on it. So it works beautifully now.

For an entry level phone, this is one feels like a top of the line unit in a smaller package. And if I need a bigger screen, there is a tablet for that. Or use a regular desktop if you must go larger.

Buy one! The Android market is growing rapidly, leaving iPhone less and less market share. It is obvious.
on September 10, 2012
I purchased this phone based on price, size, Android system, past satisfaction with HTC products, & data compatibility with the African markets. Upon initial inspection I was quite pleased, but when put into full time service it turned to be quite disappointing. The looks, feel, battery performance, & network compatibilities are just fine. The main problem is the available storage (up to 90MB per [...]). I am having trouble believing this as I have only loaded 4 applications internally for a total of 17MB, & the system reads only 6MB memory remaining. I assumed this could be overcome with an external sd card, but found that very few applications will transfer to or run from the card.
The company specs read 512MB RAM, this should be plenty, but again falls short. At least 4 to 5 times a day the phone locks up during operation & resets itself, often I must pull the battery to reset. Typically after every reset there is a warning issued `Internal Storage is Low, Please remove some applications to free system'. I follow this link & choose option of `Move apps to SD card', the resulting reply is `Nothing to move'. Again I ask, where is the memory?
Reviewed after 3 weeks of use.
on June 19, 2012
Needed a replacement for my Samsung and wanted a bit of an upgrade from my Solstice.
Did a bunch of research and decided the Explorer was my best option under $150.
Phone came sooner than expected, charger was European with an adapter. Thank goodness we're all using a universal plug now. The phone is setup for India using English language, Weather updates were set to Bangalore,Mumbai,etc.
Wasn't too hard to change all that and get it configured for my liking.
So far after having it for just about two weeks I'm finding I'm really enjoying it, The Android system works great but takes a little getting used to how to access things.
HassleFreeCell was easy to deal with and shipped promptly, got phone in 3 days from Florida.
Phone was brand new with all paperwork and packaging, had it up and running in a few minutes.
Would buy from them again.
on July 17, 2012
This is a good back-up or starter phone to have. Easy to use and compact. There is not a lot of memory in this baby, but it will do. Bought it from Hasslefreecell. They were amazing! The phone was shipped in 3 business days. Unfortunately, I am unable to use this phone to its full potential as this phone does not support the 3G 1700 mhz waveband that Simple Mobile ONLY uses. It still works with that carrier, but do not expect 3G speeds !!! I would recommend this phone for someone on a budget or for a first Android phone. I bought this phone as a back-up phone.
on May 1, 2012
The price was very reasonable for an unlocked android smartphone. Phone worked right out of the box... even had a decent charge! I've used the phone with pay-as-you-go sim cards in the US and abroad. Phone has everything one could need in a smartphone, including hotspot capability! Fast shipping... good packaging from the seller. The way to go is a unlocked smartphone such as this one.
on March 28, 2012
This is by far the best smartphone price wise you can find, I recently purchased this phone and it has so many features that come along without the need to install anything else; it has mail (to check all email accounts), it has people app (to manage all your contacts, syncing with facebook, gmail, yahoo, etc, so that you don't have to add any contact you know; it has a built-in gps, so that you know where you are and what is near you at all times. It also has a music player, camcorder, camera, calendar an many more.

However I must say that the internal memory is an issue since it only supports a storage of 90Mb to install apps; as a counter measure you can insert a 32Gb micro SDHC to extend storaga capacity, but not all apps can be install on the micro SD. As a side note the 3MP camera is not very good under poor lighting conditions, keep that in mind if you're planning to use this phone as your main photo device.

Finally, the phone came out in perfect shape, everything that was "in the box" came as it was stated; I totally recommend this smartphone, specially since its price is so competitive! Very good job HTC!