Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 19 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 25 reviews
on February 20, 2012
Update...: With a better TOC and an new Index included in the book, I would now give this book 5 Stars.
End Update...

Old Post: The two biggest drawbacks are: (1) there is NO INDEX. Try remembering or finding keywords 1 week after reading any 400+ page technical book - it's horribly impossible. (2) There are 100's of pages of code and chapters that will only work in one specific browser. The author only tells you this once you get to the next topic throughout the book. I wish I had known beforehand how much material I would have to read which would not be supported in most browsers. Specifically, it's hard skipping around from browser to browser when you're trying to learn from a new book. This should have been mentioned up front on the back cover or in the intro. I don't like to have to hop from browser to browser to use books, and that you can't look up topics in the missing Index, instead you have to read through large sections of chapters over again to find what you want to review. No technical book that's 400+ pages should be allowed to go to print without an Index.

The Pros are that the coverage of the material was great, and the book does give you a very thorough future view of HTML5, at a very reasonable price. That's why I give it 4.0 stars.

If I were the author, I would quickly place an index online, at least until I could place an index in the next books version.
on May 23, 2014
I should also say that I purchased this book already having solid knowledge and experience with HTML5 and CSS3 - - I used this book as an accompanying reference for my students in my "HTML5 and CSS3 Boot Camp" class. I mention this because so often I read reviews by people who are learning something for the first time and they'll rave about a book and when I read it, I find it wanting. This is natural since we all "don't know what it is that we don't know" so it's hard to review a book for its comprehensiveness until and unless you, yourself, have comprehensive knowledge of a subject.

The book is written in a clearly understandable way, it flows well, and is extremely comprehensive - covering only enough basic HTML and CSS that the reader may need to fall back on without wasting pages on remedial content that anyone working with HTML5 and CSS3 should already know.

The examples were clear with very few typos.

The more I read, the more I was glad that I had chosen this book.
on April 24, 2012
I want to get this out of the way right off. It doesn't have an index, no screen shots of what the results should be, some areas weren't proofed very well and there are no chapter indicators on the pages, so you never know where you are at. It seems that the Quick Reference areas at the end of each chapter is to replace the index. Due to these issues, I couldn't give it a 5 star rating.
Ok, now that I got that out of the way, let me get to what counts. The information provided is well laid out and very informative. This author definitely knows HTML5 and CSS3. I have read a couple books that say they are only HTML5 and end up spending several chapters telling you about HTML4. This one gets to the point and he even tells you at the beginning he doesn't cover HTML4. He refers to his web site a lot, which is fine and you can get all the code there, if you need to. I preferred to type it myself, I learn better that way. I think I'll set up my own index and email it to him though!! There's a lot of complex ideas covered and J.D. covers them well. When I finish this book, I feel I will be well versed in HTML5, CSS3 and Javascript.
So, in conclusion: I knew in advance it didn't have an index, but didn't realize the other short comings. None of which are deal breakers. I do totally recommend this book for beginners and advanced users as well. I do recommend knowing HTML4 and CSS basics or you might be lost.
If I do get the index written I'll put it on my web site so others can use it.
Great book!
on August 14, 2014
A while back, I read Zachary Kessin's "Programming HTML5 Applications". I found that book to be lacking in coverage of many aspects of HTML5, plus some of the examples were poorly done.

I have found that "HTML5 For Masterminds" is much more thorough. It gives examples for nearly every feature of HTML5 it describes, and the coverage is very thorough in breadth and depth.

HTML5 For Masterminds is a great introduction to HTML5, as well as a good reference, with chapters about all the major features of HTML5.
on May 22, 2012
Everybody else has said it already - but who publishes a technical book without an index. What on earth were you, the publishers, possibly thinking?

So why don't you create one, make it available on the book's page on your website, then people can print it out and staple it inside the back cover.

EDIT: I'm giving back one of the stars that was deducted for lack of an index now that there is a revised edition out.
on May 21, 2012
Of the half dozen books I've read on html, javascript, css etc. this one is the best written with the best explanations and best examples. It starts where most web programmers have good functioning knowledge and introduces html5 in steadily progressing examples from the simple to the complex, leaving one with a fairly good understanding of the complex. It's not the last book on html5 but It's an excellent start.
on December 28, 2012
This book gave a lot of really good tips to a beginner. I already had some knowledge, but I think I can say that if you knew nothing, this book gives a decent introduction to this coding. It did lose me when it started talking about the APIs. Other than that, it's been pretty handy, and I keep it close to my computer if I need to refresh.
on October 17, 2016
good reference
on June 9, 2014
This book helps a lot to understand HTML5 and how to use it properly. It's nice, even for a beginner.
on April 22, 2012
The book and it's coverage of the material is good. However, as others have mentioned there are no output illustrations or pictures.

I own this book and I just picked it up to look something up, guess what "NO INDEX" !!!!
I am extremely disappointed by the fact this book does not have an index. That totally sucks. What kind of book does not have an index? I have never, ever, not once, ever seen a single book that did not have an index. How moronic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So now the only way to find something is to put tabs on pages I think may be useful in the future. The content is good, but NO INDEX? REALLY? WTF MAN REALLY. This really, really diminishes the value of this book to me. I am sure this is the only book out of about 500 I own that does not have an index. Never have I seen such moronic garbage.