Truck Season Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on October 31, 2013
I own every hacking exposed book ever printed that i am aware of. These are great sources for learning and structuring skills in many valuable situations. They are based on theory and have great examples when you would use the necessary solutions to achieve of overcome challenges.

They are Great Books!! ---That is my opinion!
One person found this helpful
on April 21, 2018
A bit outdated but a good read
on April 19, 2016
good reference
on March 5, 2010
I found this to be a good overview for deciding if I want to pursue this field or not. It goes over enough detail & highlights the process to help determine if I want to take the next step and spend the $$$$'s on the forensic software.
9 people found this helpful
on January 25, 2014
professionally presenting the concepts, and teach great skills, I recommend that you should have some knowledge of the computer system before you read it.
on March 14, 2012
I came across this book when I was reading Hacking Exposed Network Security & Secrets. Since I enjoyed that book, I felt I'd enjoy this one as well. I was not disappointed. It introduces the reader to the world of computer forensics, along with a lot of tips and suggestions about the field, as well as what to watch out for. I feel the authors do an excellent job of discussing the world of forensics. Yes it does feature EnCase examples prominently. It also features screen shots of many other forensics programs like FTK, Paraben and open source ones.

I also liked the authors' occasional humor helpful when trying to explain certain points such as the popularity of cell phones (and using them in a forensics investigation) or how a suspect is almost certain to repeat the same bad behavior over and over when given the chance. Since this is an introductory level book, it touches on a lot of subjects but only at a general level. This is not an issue, there are numerous volumes of forensic books available that address specific topics in much greater detail that this book may not. I plan on reading them next.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone interested in learning more about computer forensics.
2 people found this helpful
on September 8, 2011
I round up from 3.5 to 4 really. in general the series is very good. I picked up some very good notes from this particular book. I did consider picking up a cert in forensics but after reading this book and talking to some people who really do it, I now want to real part of it. hacking around with systems is 1 thing but creating a methodology, chain of custody, knowing all the tools to use and being responsible for possible court..... I'm better off reading but not specializing in this area. this book will not be a comprehensive source on how to perform all tasks but it does give you some high level information.

the reason I dinged the book was it completely ignores iphones. it would be one thing to say they're not covered in this book but there is NO MENTION during the mobile section. why even bother talking about smartphones if you're not going to say the word iphone? that's an area they need to address now, not years down the road.

you will learn somethings from the book. if nothing else, it will show being 'a forensic expert' had better have some real solid chops behind them before putting them out there. I'm adding a few new tools to my bag of tricks but leave the real stuff to experts
One person found this helpful
on March 30, 2010
I use this text as the required text for a course I teach on Computer Forensics. Overall, it is an excellent introductory text. Students say that it is easy to read, which is exactly what I want in a textbook. However, I do not use it exclusively for lecture material. I pull my lecture material from a variety of texts, such as Real Digital Forensics, Incident Response (2nd edition), File System Forensic Analysis, and the other Hacking Exposed Textbooks.

The second edition is a welcome improvement. I really like the new section (Part V) where it discusses the practical cases, and what type of forensic techniques that you would use for each type of case.

I create all of my own lectures and labs for the classroom. I assign this text to students to fill in the gaps of the lectures.
18 people found this helpful