- Series: Consumer One-Off
- Paperback: 700 pages
- Publisher: Osborne/McGraw-Hill; 3rd edition (September 26, 2001)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0072193816
- ISBN-13: 978-0072193817
- Product Dimensions: 9.1 x 7.4 x 1.8 inches
- Shipping Weight: 3.5 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 3.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (33 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #4,974,217 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Hacking Exposed: Network Security Secrets & Solutions, Third Edition (Hacking Exposed) 3rd Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
There is a newer edition of this item:
Featured IT certification guides sponsored by Pearson. Learn more.
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the Inside Flap
"The seminal book on white-hat hacking and countermeasures.... Should be required reading for anyone with a server or a network to secure." --Bill Machrone, PC Magazine
"Reading this book is better than hiring those Sneakers guys to break into your network to tell you where the open doors are, and it doesn't cost nearly as much." --Professional Certification magazine
"A great practical guide for administrators and an eminently readable expose on hacking that should smooth the way for sensible executive policies to protect corporate networks." --Cameron Sturdevant, eWeek
"Will tell you more about what hackers have done and can--and can't--do than anything else I have seen....Chock full of tips on countermeasures and just plain usability tricks. Recommended." --Jerry Pournelle, BYTE Magazine
"For almost any computer book, you can find a clone. But not this one.... A one-of-a-kind study of the art of breaking in." --UNIX Review
New and Updated Material:
* Each part opens with a brand new case study based on real security scenarios
* Brand new chapter covers the latest 802.11 Wireless networking security attacks and countermeasures
* New strategies for proactively defending against dial-up, PBX, voicemail, and VPN hacks
* Completely rewritten enumeration chapter including new SQL Server discovery tools, Windows XP/.NET Server countermeasures, Novell exploits, and network discovery using BGP
* New techniques for gaining unauthorized access to Windows 9x/Me/NT/2000/XP, Novell 6, UNIX, and Linux
* Up-to-date countermeasures for preventing the exploitation of proxy and packet filtering firewall vulnerabilities
* Web hacking chapter completely revised and updated to cover the latest platform-specific vulnerabilities from Apache to IIS, current techniques including cross-site scripting, fuzzing, and SQL injection attacks, and all of the latest tools from Achilles to Nikto
* Hacking Exposed Live! video presentation on DVD --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
From the Back Cover
"If there was an Encyclopedia Britannica of computer security, it would be Hacking Exposed, Third Edition." --Marty Roesch, creator of the Snort tool
"A critical step to knowing your enemy is first understanding their tools. Hacking Exposed, Third Edition delivers just that...and more." --Lance Spitzner, Sun Microsystems GESS Security Team and the coordinator of the Honeynet Project
"Whether you're a struggling novice or a seasoned pro--Hacking Exposed, Third Edition is required reading." --Barnaby Jack, Win32 Buffer Overflow expert
CD-ROM contains key security tools ready to install on your computer, links to the security tools covered in the book, and a password database.
Harden your computers and networks against compromise by digital marauders today with this fully revised, essential volume. Hacking Exposed: Network Security Secrets ; Solutions, Third Edition shows you how hackers view internetworking technologies, the techniques they use to exploit network security holes, and what you can do to recognize oncoming attacks. Renowned security experts Stuart McClure, Joel Scambray, and George Kurtz provide detailed examples of the latest devious break-ins and destructive attacks and show you, step-by-step, how to protect your systems. You'll get brand-new coverage of technologies like 802.11 Wireless Networking expanded coverage of Denial of Service, VPN, dial-up, and remote access hacks, and all-new security information on Windows XP, Windows.NET Server (code named Whistler), and IIS 5.
New and Updated Material:
- The latest 802.11 Wireless networking security attacks and countermeasures
- Fully up-to-date information on the latest Windows, UNIX, Linux, and NetWare hacks and countermeasures in the tried-and-true Hacking Exposed format
- New techniques used by today's hacker to pinpoint potential targets--ping sweep tools, TCP/UDP scans, traceroutes, whois queries, and zone transfer downloads
- Significantly revised chapters on analog dial-up and Web attacks
- Brand-new coverage of Windows XP, Windows.NET Sever (code named Whistler), and IIS 5 vulnerabilities like Code Red
- New UNIX material including the latest Format String vulnerabilities
- The latest remote control vulnerabilities in VNC and Terminal Server
- New strategies for preventing untrusted access to SNMP, Active Directory, and NetBIOS/SMB services using IPSec filters, firewalls, and TCP/IP Security
- The most recent techniques for securing and managing Microsoft SQL Server and Internet Clients in networked environments
Browse award-winning titles. See more
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top Customer Reviews
I really liked the approach of this book. It obscures nothing, and gives the would-be security person an in-depth view of how one can penetrate a system given time and a little know-how. The blunt honesty of this book can be surprising, as it gives default passwords for routers and switches among other things, but its this sort of wake-up call that turns network admins into security -conscious ones. I am definitely this book is in print.
I did have to give 4 starts to the book because it covers so many topics that it cannot devote as much as I would like on any one. Sections on Unix and Windows hacking are better left in the other books in the "Hacking Exposed" series. However, the information contained in those sections is no less useful.
All in all, this is a very worthwhile investment for admins and security guys who want to see things from the other side of the firewall, so to speak. :)
The book is very like the second edition. No relevant changes are presented, and therefore several issues are now dated.
If you don't already own the second edition, then buy this new third edition, overall, it is a quite comprehensive and useful book. However, if you are looking for a serious wireless security treatment, then you should better try books like ' Hack Proofing Your Wireless Network' or alike.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
The information is organized and to the point.Read more