Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 70 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 101 reviews
on May 15, 2013
Lynley Dodd's wonderful Hairy Maclary series have built on the adventures of this scruffy, mischievous dog and his rapscallion friends. Ms Dodd doesn't shy away from using complex words, despite her very young readership, and engages the reader through the use of rhyme and rhythm. You feel the pace of the rag-tag bunch as they roam the streets getting up to mischief, and the pace builds all the way to the crescendo of scattering paws. It was a favourite of my children's when they were young, and continues to be a favourite as I buy it for small children we know!
on January 13, 2015
I think that all the Hairy Maclary books are very good for reading to young children and this one is the best. However, if you are trying to read to a small child who is not already enamoured with books but thinks that nothing can be better than an ipad I would suggest that you buy the app from itunes for Hairy Maclary. You can listen to the voice reading the story on the version purchased or you can change it; the tails twitch, the eyes move and the words are highlighted as the story progresses. Enjoy all the Hairy Maclary books but certainly include the app for this book.
on August 25, 2015
I bought this because we love Lynley Dodd's other books. This one is pretty good, but not as fun as her others.
on August 28, 2015
Great Kids book. My children loved this book so much that I bought it as a baby shower gift for a friend. It has a lot of Rhyming which makes the book easy to remember allowing your children to "read along" from memory. My youngest daughter is 22 and she could name all the books characters from memory. Highly recommend this childrens book.
on October 20, 2014
This was my favorite book as a child, because I loved animals and it allowed my parents to make a lot of silly voices for each character. Now as an adult, I bought a copy for my cousin's baby shower as a gift; the baby's sex is a secret and this story is definitely gender-neutral. My only gripe is that the cat is the bad guy! Just kidding (half kidding...) because this book is super fun for any young children that love animals.
on April 25, 2017
My daughter loves Hairy.
on November 8, 2016
Fabulous book! My five year old loves it, has it memorized, recites it in the car. And still pulls it off the shelf for me to read it with her regularly. Just sweet and catchy rhyming fun. Great price for a classic keeper.
on May 9, 2015
The rhythm and rhyme of this simple story will keep a Nana reading carefully.
Dog lesson: in your bed under your blanket is a safe place to be. One picture
of Scarface Claw might be too intense for the youngest of children.
on August 22, 2012
My 3YO daughter has to read this book EVERY night and loves it. She has an articulation problem so I have her repeat the last word for each dog character ("hay", "spots" etc) as it repeats often. This is helping with memory as well and makes her aware of rhyming words/sounds which is key pre-literacy skill. That said, my 5YO liked it the first few times but got bored with it quickly (I think he has it memorized!).
on June 16, 2015
Not as well written or interesting as some of the Slinky Malinki books. It just doesn't have the cleverness and sophisticated vocabulary that I appreciate so much in some of her other writing.