Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,481 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,848 reviews
on September 23, 2017
When you pair the two novels together, The Glass Castle and Half Broke Horses you get a lot to decide about the family. It is amazing that Jeannette Wells turned out as well as she did. Not sure many families would have been that lucky. Jeannette Walls mother, Rosemary just was not only a very independent person, artistic but very easily led and dependent on Rex. Think her mother Lily would have rolled over in her grave several times if she had known about how Rosemary was living. Don't think Rosemary ever regretted anything and thought she and Rex were right about how they lived their lives. All along, they could have had an easier life, they had property and a small income that would have done this.
on September 9, 2017
I enjoyed this book so much!!! Lily was one tough lady!! I could not put this book down. I wanted to know what was happening next. Would be great to see this story played put on the big screen like The Glass Castle was. Mrs. Jeannette, if you happen to read my review, please please write some more books. Even if they are fiction, please wrote more books!! I love the way you tell a story. Thank you!!
on September 12, 2017
Great biography of Jeannette Wells maternal grandmother. I can now understand why her mother was the way she was to her children. I'm still amazed at how well the 3 older children "turned out".
on September 17, 2017
I like hearing about what life was like around the time of the great depression. Learning about the building of the dam was neat and i'm always amazed and inspired by the hard work and descriptions of farm life!
on May 24, 2017
Great Reading book, light reading and the book has it ups and downs.
on August 28, 2016
It was interesting to learn about the history at that time and I was glad to learn about Jeannette Wall's grandmother. I felt a little bit better about her mother after reading this. But I didn't like first person in this book. It made Lily sound like she was bragging and I really didn't like her very much. She put financial gain above everything else, even her own children. However, my sister loved the book.
on September 19, 2017
Good read - suspense - what becomes of family in constant change.
on February 10, 2013
If you read "Half Broke Horses" prior to reading "The Glass Castle", you would probably rate this much higher because it really is an engrossing and captivating read. But having read "The Glass Castle", this story pales in comparison a bit. "The Glass Castle" was one of the most unbelievable and amazing stories about a life that I have ever read. I was so stunned and amazed at her life and childhood - it makes the mind reel... and years later my jaw still drops if I recall some of the events of her life. That said, I suppose you can't go into this book expecting a replication of those feelings. It doesn't have the shock factor and intrigue of her previous book, but this woman's story in "Half Broke" is very unique and interesting in it's own right. This is still a great read and collection of stories and memories about another very interesting person, and it is quite worth your time. But again, just don't expect "Glass Castle".
on August 21, 2017
I have lived in Arizona for almost 20 years but never appreciated it as much as I do after reading about Lily Smith and her adventures on the ranch and in the city. If you've read The Glass Castle written by her granddaughter, Jeannette Walls, you'll love her book about how it all came about. Give me more, more, more!
on August 10, 2015
This was the 3rd book I have read by Jeanette Walls. She is a great writer who tells a great story. I really love how this book highlights a strong and capable woman who follows her dreams and creates her own path in life.