Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

Half a Chance
Format: Hardcover|Change

on July 2, 2016
I can't stop thinking about the characters in the story. They are spot-on with how they handle the troublesome moments that dementia causes. Grandma Lilah is so sweet, but all too aware that she is losing her memories. It is probably her last summer at the lake and her family is at the cottage with her. Lily is the new girl in the cottage next door. Her father is a famous photographer who leaves frequently on assignment. Lily craves his attention, which partly explains her obsession with taking pictures of everything. Lily's idea to make a scrapbook with the pictures she took over the summer at the lake with Grandma Lilah, her family, and the loon family will help her remember. Every day just seems so normal, but these are the memories she will need. There is one painful picture, though, showing Grandma Lilah suddenly panicking. She doesn't recognize the teacup she is holding and demands to know whose it is. In that instant, Lily snapped her picture. It shows strong emotion and it is painful for her grandson Nate to see. Lily secretly entered it a contest using Nate's name because her father would be judging the contest. Nate is furious. If the picture wins, he doesn't want his grandmother's condition published in a magazine for everyone to see. Grandma Lilah's reaction, however, is delightful. The best stories evoke strong emotion, and this one certainly does in a realistic, kind way.
on April 19, 2016
I've read Rules and Touch Blue by Cynthia Lord, and this book was just as good as those. Actually, it was better than "Touch Blue." I didn't really enjoy that one too much. Anyway, this is a good book about 12 year old Lucy who moves to New Hampshire with her mom, famous photographer dad, and dog Ansel. She has moved a lot in her life because of her dad's job, but when she moves to NH things are different. She makes a friend almost immediately, and enters in a photography contest that her dad is judging. She thinks it would be unfair and he wouldn't let her enter, so she enters using a different name. She's trying to prove her photographic abilities to her dad, as well as help her new friends' grandma. If you wanna see what happens, go read the book, it's really good!! I'm 13 and I liked it, so I'd probably recommend it to 10-13 or maybe 14.
on August 13, 2016
Its a Florida Sunshine state book 2016 so was on the reading list. My 3rd grader and I took turns reading a chapter. Halfway through the book we looked at each other and said, "When does this get interesting?" I studied photography so liked the concept but it just never really built up is any exciting way.
on June 30, 2016
This it the book that got me started on photography. A must read for anyone. It literally changed my whole life, as I now want to be a photographer when I'm older. Not only was the main character Lucy funny, she was also relatable. I totally want her to be my friend. Here is a quote from the book, one I frequently ask myself: "...pretty isn't enough for a great photograph. Show me why I care. What's the story?"
on October 6, 2016
This book beautifully captures the heartbreak of dementia through the eyes of a youth with compassion and grace. It reminds me of my own Grandma. Concurrently is a theme of wildlife preservation and the beauty of nature. Great read.
on June 28, 2014
I've (unfortunately) now read all of Cynthia's books published so far, and this was probably my favorite, although they've all been wonderful. I read to my sons (and wife) at bedtime, and we've been smitten with Cynthia Lord's books this year.

The characters in this story in particular were so honest and real in their development, feelings, actions and words. And the story comes to a wonderful climax which literally brought water to my eyes.

Cynthia's love of nature, particularly that of her New England home, shines through in all her stories, and this one is no exception.
Most of all, so does her love of people.
on December 28, 2015
A heart-warming story for any age. I thoroughly loved this story as my family has a lake we go to year after year. I am also a novice photographer that struggles with when to put the camera down and "live in the moment."
on April 10, 2014
First, having grown up in Massachusetts and New Hampshire, I took in every piece of the setting Cynthia Lord developed. I felt like I was there on the lake, kayaking, watching the Loons, hiking mountains and shopping in town. Her descriptions came from someone who knows this area well and it shined through her words. The relationship she developed between the two main characters was believable and very sweet. It is a heartwarming story that will bring some tears, smiles and a happy heart.
on September 4, 2014
A bit elementary at first, but the author was setting the tone of the story. I enjoyed the interactions between young people and caring for the needs of Grandma. The part of Grandma getting signs of dementia were very helpful and revealing. These issues can help young people understand how t deal with illness. Solving the problem for Grandma to see the loons was very unselfish and rewarding. Excellent book for church libraries and not preachy.
on January 14, 2017
I liked that this book told a story of friendship and family. I would recommend this book for children ages 9-12. I chose the rating of 5 stars because I really liked this book, it was a great read.