Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Halliwell's: The Movies that Matter
Format: Paperback|Change
Price:$45.77+ $3.99 shipping

on January 11, 2017
Great book I didn't know about before seeing it online. Lots of fun too.
on April 2, 2011
The title may seem a bit stuffy or self-satisfied but it's not far from the mark. The information for each film is abundant - everything you'd possibly care to know and then some, all in remarkably concise form. While it doesn't claim to present all films, or even all of the greatest films, you probably won't mind given the size and weight of this hefty publication. A British production, it admits to favoring England's films while including generous offerings from everywhere else. The main review for each is a lesson in succinct expression and is usually followed by equally succinct and sometimes contradictory comments from other noteworthy sources. A can't miss gift for the movie fan in your life.
on March 11, 2010
I have had Halliwell guides for years but did not know this abreviated edition.
It's okay, I used the copies I bought as gifts for some friends not as wrapped
up in data and film arcana as I am.
on June 20, 2012
I use Halliwells along with Maltin to help me decide what films to buy. Both are very helpful. The Halliwells covers a much smaller number of movies; it is more selective.
on April 4, 2009
This is the 2009 edition (or rather substitution) of Halliwell's Film Guide and it is drastically different from previous years. It contains only 2,800 movie reviews: about 350 from 2007 and early 2008, 2,000 from 1988-2006, and some 500 prior to 1988. By comparison, the 2008 edition had 24,000 reviews. The Guide now reminds me of an annual update to a print encyclopedia. The title is a misnomer as there are many films included that do not matter and many old movies absent that do. I feel very short changed by paying $33 for 2,800 film reviews. Videohound has nearly 30,000 reviews and can still be purchased for less than $20.

Because there are less reviews, the page layout is very good and easy to read. The reviews remain generally excellent as well. I have always liked Halliwell's stinginess of stars awarded for rating films, and this remains (films are rated from zero to four stars). However, I hope the 2010 edition goes back to full size so all our favorite films from the past are in one book again.
9 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on February 15, 2015
2,800 movie reviews whereas 2008 edition of Halliwell's Film Guide 2008[also edited by Critten] contained over 24,000! Unless a movie is fairly well known or fairly recent, you will not find it in here. And if it is well known, and you know about it, why bother with this book. Definitely not in keeping with the tradition of Halliwell's Filmgoer's Companion or its progeny Halliwell's Film Guide--a big letdown.
on February 10, 2010
As the previous reviewer said, the introduction to this book makes it clear that it is a replacement of the Halliwell's Movie Guide that film buffs have known and loved for years. That guide has been where I go first when I hear about a film being released on DVD or scheduled for TV. This book is a slur on the legacy of Halliwell -- you will look in vain for the obscure, little-known or forgotten film. Yes, the market is changing. But I have to believe there are still those who want an "ultimate" guide to movies.
11 people found this helpful
on March 15, 2012
I use both Maltin's and Halliwell's reviews for selecting quality films. Halliwells has around 350 films it characterizes with its top rating. Of those, Maltin give its top rating to about half. That gives me a pretty good list to collect against...sort of a best of best. I have about half of that. Many of these films are available on DVD for less than $10. A few are hard to come by and/or
are out of my price range ($20 or more). It is not at all necessary to have them all. It is helpful to be able to buy films of great quality sufficient unto the needs of me and mine. :-)