Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning billions billions billions  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$2.99

Showing 1-10 of 49 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 54 reviews
on September 23, 2014
Tried but had a hard time getting into it. I wasn't disappointed, I got it free because I thought it would be interesting.
on June 16, 2012
I love stories that divert from the norm, and this one sure fits the bill. The plot was easy to follow, but still had a few things that were unexpected. This story is suitable in both content and in verbiage for almost anyone. It's about overcoming the odds to find your true love.

There is an underworld inhabited by the souls of the deceased. It is governed by sad and desolate souls who rejoice in the increased sadness of the city's inhabitants. Happy colorful things are not allowed. Friendship is seen as strange. The more miserable you are, the better the government and everyone around you feels. This is as it should be.

Then one day our protagonist hears that the portal between the worlds is open to certain souls who have gotten clearance from the government for one night only: Halloween.

Our protagonist sets out to secure a position on the team of ghouls and ghosties who go out into the living world to scare the bejeeves out of its populace. But his goals are different; he wants to find his lost love. He hears that if she loves him still, that he can come back and join the land of the living once more.
on November 3, 2011
This was a spooky, but emotional ride. There was a combination between supernatural elements and real human emotions. I felt a strong connection to the main character, which made me care about the story and truly wonder what would happen next. This is a fun book that might just get you thinking about the differences between the dead and the living. It also might scare you about what happens after you die, but that's normal right? I would recommend this book to just about anyone- but be warned that you need to have somewhat of a stomach to take some of the descriptions of the fate that befalls some of the characters. I have a relatively strong constitution but the vivid details (masterfully written, but intense) sometimes made me a little queazy. I think the title is perfect because it lets you know that because it is Halloween there will be a little cookiness and hokiness (sp?) throughout the story- but ultimately it is about love. If you've ever loved and lost a part of you will not be able to put this book down!
on February 21, 2013
I originally bought this book as an inexpensive kindle download, thinking it would be a fun read for Halloween. I wasn't expecting it to be so different and funny. It was the most unique and beautiful love story I have ever read. I loved the characters , especially the ending....although the middle had me laughing out loud literally....okay I won't spoil it for you. But I loved it so much that I immediately bought the "real" book when I read the last page and had to write to the author on Facebook and Twitter to tell him how much I enjoyed it. It was THAT good!!
on September 6, 2012
Everyone has an opinion of what Hell is like and this author's view is unique. Hugh, who's in Hell needs to find his love Lily in the living world. If he can get her to forgive him and love him, there's a chance he can return to the world of the living. But he stood Lily up on their wedding day. Can he find her, get her forgiveness and love all in one night? At least it being Halloween means dead Hugh can roam our world without everyone flipping out at his appearance. An enjoyable quest for love with some twists and turns you don't expect. Very enjoyable!
on October 27, 2014
I absolutely loved the premise for Halloween is for Lovers. Hugh has been dead for a little while, but he can't let go of his love for Lily. Then there's a posting for a haunting audition: whoever is selected, gets to return to the land of the living for one night. Hugh isn't very scary, but he's desperate to get back to Lily and explain why he left and tell her how much he still loves her. Well, his audition goes abysmally, but the judges overhear him talking about true love. They decide to send him, in hopes that he'll fail at his mission, coming back even more depressed than before. Death is really messed up realm, if you were wondering.

Halloween is for Lovers was great until Hugh has to face Lily's new fiance. I loved the author's idea of death. It's dark and boring, and just not a place you want to go. I also really liked how everyone just assumed that Hugh had an epic costume, rather than being actually dead and dirty. It was quite funny. But, crazy fiance Dr. Steve just lost me. It wasn't my kind of humor at all. It was very over-the-top and bizarre, and took me out of Hugh's journey.
on March 30, 2014
Hugh and Lily, torn apart by a freak car accident, are given one more chance at a life together. But will Hugh have the fortitude to literally keep himself together for one night? Or will the Reapers win and drag him to a death worse than death? Will Lily go through with marrying Steve? Will Morton ever find happiness again? And will the little boy in the Boba Fett costume have a complex about scary screams he hears every Halloween?
on May 18, 2012
Although the story was quite slow at first, once you get into it you don't want to stop reading.

This is a story about Hugh, a guy that had the inconvenience of dying the day he was going to get married (originally, he was running away, but then decided to go back) and now has to spend eternity in the utmost misery in the Kingdom of death. However, all that changes when he is told by his friend Ana that maybe, MAYBE, there's a chance for him to see his bride again, and -if she really loves him- he may even get to live again.

Will he make it? Does she still love him after leaving her at the altar and dying? Will he fail and have to spend eternity in a place far worse than the Kingdom?

While there are a few moments where I felt the author rushed things up (I caught myself checking weather I had skipped a page), I really enjoyed this book, I laughed a lot, I got really nervous in certain passages and al in all, I had a great time reading this book :)
on September 9, 2012
I love books that differ from the norm, and this book did not disappoint. I was drawn in right away by the absolutely hysterically funny prologue, and then mired chest deep in the actual story as soon as it began. The characters were interesting, quirky and either lovable/unlovable depending on which emotion the reader is intended to have. The hopelessness of the Kingdom of the Dead made me want to live forever! ;)
This book reminded me a lot of Neil Gaiman's style/genre, indeed if I hadn't known better I might have thought this was written by him. I love Neil Gaiman.
I hope I see more work from Nate Gubin (even his name is sorta kinda like Neil Gaiman, did you notice that? heh ;) ) Can't wait to read more!
on October 26, 2014
I hate putting down a book without finishing it, but this one was so bad I just couldn't continue. With every word I read and every page I turned I could feel the life and joy being sucked out of my soul. Even for free I feel I spent too much.