Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Halo 2 - PC
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Joseph Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now STEM

Format: Video Game|Change

on February 29, 2016
It's not amazon's fault, it's microsofts. They forget about pc gamers lately. This didn't work in either windows 7 or windows 10. No way in heck was I getting vista. I wish I wouldn't have to buy an xbox to play this game because I am strictly at this point a mouse and keyboard type player. It is lame that microsoft only releases this franchise on certain platforms and so are forgetting their roots in the pc world. so very disappointed this didn't work.
on November 18, 2012
When buying this game, you might have an invalid product key. THat's what happened to me. They JUST stopped supporting the game a month ago. After calling customer service which was about 2 to 3 hours I finally got a key that worked.

USING WINDOWS 7
I used Windows 7 and it came up with an error after install. If you just google the error, you'll be linked to a fix on Microsoft's site. OR download Games for Windows Live. That usually will fix it.

CALLING CUSTOMER SERVICE
I called three different times. Each time, the Indian accent was less and less. The last lady asked me to read her the number on the disc itself. Then she said that there might be some keys leftover. It was a success!!! But quite a hassle.

If you want to take the risk, do it. It's just $15. And maybe you could return it if the key doesn't work.

Also, if you know a friend that has it, and doesn't use it, use their's. It'll be more worth it and more reliable because it's an old key.
on November 21, 2012
This game is essentially an expensive drink coaster. I bought this game in November of 2012 when I was stuck at my in-law's house with just my wife's Windows 7 laptop and needed a Halo fix. The installation process was fine but when I wanted to start the game it asked to input a Windows Live ID or create a new one. Unfortunately my existing ID didn't work and neither did a new one I created. After searching the internet for help, I discovered that not only does Microsoft no longer support the product, it may have even removed the ability to play at all because you're trapped on the start screen.
on November 18, 2012
WARNING DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. I bought this when I upgraded my PC to windows 7 and had been wanting to play it but couldn't because I was using XP. When it arrived I went and installed it first thing. It installed fine and accepted the key. But when I went to bring up windows live for games it said my key is invalid and to re-enter. I did this several times with no luck. I called Microsoft support and they told me the key I had was already in use and that they no longer support this game and to figure it out myself.

This is completely unacceptable. If you are going to put DRM in a game you should always support it or stop selling the game. So in sort what Microsoft told me was we got your money, too bad #@$% off.

I will never buy a Microsoft made game. I was thinking of buying a X-box, but now that is never going to happen. When the PS4 comes out I will go with it instead.
on September 3, 2011
So I have windows 7 and I bought this game because I LOVED the original Halo: Combat Evolved PC game. Bought from amazon, installed it, tried to run it, but kept getting an error message about windows live failing to initialize. Spent hours online looking for a solution that would work for me, tried them, and they didn't work on my computer. Apparently this is a HUGE problem with this game among players on Windows 7. Now, I'm not saying it doesn't work, just that many people have had issues with it. Microsoft doesn't seem to be addressing this error adequately either.

Hopefully the seller will accept my return.

UPDATE: I have gotten the game to work on Windows 7 by downloading some patch somebody made; basically it just removes earlier versions of windows live and installs the right version. Now that I've played the game for some time, I have to say I've really enjoyed it. Multiplayer is a bit lacking though, as only a couple dozen people play it now, so there aren't many maps/different games you can play with other players. The campaign mode is an excellent sequel to the first game. Satisfied with my purchase after all.
on December 16, 2008
Well, I'd just gotten a Vista machine finally - been looking forward to being able to play this on it in my office (instead of the xbox). The experience has been horrible. Instead of making a great port, Microsoft used this to try and sell Vista and jam their ill thought out Windows Live service (where they want more of your money) down your throat - and you feel it throughout.

Put the DVD in and installed the game, I don't care about Live, I just want to play local, but the damn thing forces me to link with Live to play at all and create an account. Then it forces me to download two patches on Live for Live (two different reboots - yeah reboots for a frickin game that's already installed - and the patches aren't for the game per se, they're for the live service) for god knows what, again from Live that I want no part of, but I have to login to just to get to play local.

What happens when MS decides to deep six Windows Live gaming - will my Halo game just not play anymore (since it won't connect to Live to login for local play)? Remember MS Play for Sure?

Finally after an hour of connecting to Live, which I'm not interested in, but I have to be logged into just to play local I can start the game - extremely pissed off at this point. Now, I've got a Core 2 (3Ghz), 2GB and an ATI 3870 512MB - I should be able to do whatever I want with this old game...but the performance is terrible, stuttering frame rates at 1280x1024 - you'd think I was running Far Cry, not a game with a code base from 5 years ago on a P4 (it should be flying unless they recoded it this way). Really a horrible experience. Just as with Vista, MS has forgotten who their customer is, jamming things down their customers throats to suit their own ends (have to have Vista and have to be in Live). Do yourself a favor and get a used version (~$15 or so) - it is not worth spending full price, at all.

Its too bad they could have made a great port if they had their priorities straight (i.e. remembered who their customer was).
on May 9, 2013
I was a little skeptical buying this since there are quite a bit of negative reviews, but being a big halo 2 fan I went ahead and bought it. It arrived in 3 days and installed very easily. It does work on Windows 7 even though it says Vista. There are some people who were having trouble with the windows live feature; I didn't however. I have the windows live from getting grand theft auto 4 off Steam. When you do log in to an Xbox account there is a brief update. After that everything worked flawlessly. The video looks much better then playing it on the original and the 360. The campaign is great and the online is even better. If you are logged into a Xbox account, you can get achievements just like you would on a 360 game. There are lots of servers with bad ping and lag, but if you manage to find one with good ping, the game is very playable and enjoyable. It also comes with 2 extra maps only available for the PC version. Since Halo is managed by 343 Industries now they plan to shut down the online access and play for Halo 2. This was to happen in February of 2013, but they extended it to June 2013 while they investigate further options for it. Hopefully they will find an alternative and keep the servers up and running. Whether they shut down the online play or not, having this on the PC is incredibly fun and great for those who enjoyed Halo 2 on the Xbox.
on November 19, 2012
Halo 2 for Vista arrived today and I was excited to install it on my brand new windows 7 64 box. It has a WEI of 7.1 so I figured that it would run quite happily. Not so fast. The game seemed to install fine (I opted to install the game fully before playing) and I entered the product key. Upon launching the game, my resolution changed to 1080 and I got an error that read something like "There is a problem with Windows Live. It might be running already." I'm not impressed already. The game is a Microsoft game and the OS is Microsoft and they can't get them to work together. Awesome. Apparently this is a common problem. I jumped through a bunch of hoops that included renaming system folders, stopping and restarting services from the command prompt, etc. After uninstalling windows live and uninstalling the game, I re-installed both and restarted. OK. Launch the game again. This time it looks like it's going to work. I get a little splash screen and I have to create a microsoft live account. Ugh. OK, I do that and I'm moving forward. Nope. I get an error that says that my product key is invalid.

I'm sure that there's some super painful workaround that will allow me to play the game, but I'm not going to waste any more time. I'm returning the game to Amazon. Save yourself the frustration and buy a different game.
on August 28, 2007
The PC version of Halo 2 was released about 2 and a half years after the Xbox version and it shows. Halo 2 for the Xbox was a decent single player sequel but it was such a huge hit because of it's online play. Waiting almost 3 years to release a PC version caused Halo 2 to be outdated as soon as it was released.

I almost couldn't even finish playing Halo 2. I couldn't get past the terrible graphics after playing other games that are older but were way better. Half Life 2 is a year old and F.E.A.R. is two years old and both are WAY better games graphically. I'm not even sure why M$/Bungie bothered making a PC version.

If this game had been released 3 years ago when the Xbox version was released it would have been great. Instead, it was an outdated game even before it came out and it looks like M$ just released it to help push Vista. If you really love the Halo series just buy this used when it's about $10. That's about all this game is worth now.
on September 21, 2015
Installs and plays on Windows 10. Can still get achievements, too.

Game runs with a stutter. Haven't found a good fix yet, but still playable. Supports controller but not well, stick to Keyboard & Mouse for this one.