Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,403 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,952 reviews
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon July 13, 2016
I have to admit: I am an adult and I loved playing this. I bought it for my son, but my husband and myself ended up playing it together and we beat the game. I normally would be ashamed to admit that with a video game, but this was extremely fun. I don't normally like shooting types of games, but killing aliens rather than people made my mind say "GO" rather than "NO". It was fun and I recommend it. Rent it first before you buy it. Most people I know who have Xbox also have this game. So, if you don't have this game, then my question to you is simple: Have you been living under a rock?
on November 27, 2012
Halo is a great series and this is up there with the best of the bunch.

The graphics that 343 has managed to produce in this game are truly incredible. The textures, color, and lighting are impressive to say the least. The gameplay is fast and the AI is quite intelligent. The cut scenes are truly amazing...in fact it may trick you into thinking that they are movies instead of CGI rendered scenes.

A lot of complaints about this game come from the fact that the gameplay, especially in multiplayer, has changed a bit. However, I feel that this is where the game actually excels. They have taken the suggestions of gamers and incorporated some aspects of COD and Battlefield while keeping the integrity and physics of Halo. People complain when there is change but I look at this as a step up. Remember also, people complained when Halo 2 came out, then they complained when Halo 3 came out, then Reach, etc. The controls are slightly different and the gameplay is tweaked but I look at these changes as upgrades. You may have to change your game a bit, especially if you are a competitive multiplayer person but if you were good playing Halo 3 multiplayer, you can easily make the transition and evolve into the new controls and features.

The story is good. It opens up a new chapter in Halo and leaves the story wide open for future releases. The actual gameplay is not lengthy but not short either. The co-op play makes the story fly by. There are definitely some challenges in the campaign with intelligent AI especially in Legendary mode. If you are planning to tackle the campaign solo in legendary, be prepare for some serious re-spawning.

This halo does have a new ranking system which allows you to purchase improvements for your Spartan as you level up. These improvements include load-out's, abilities, etc. However, it is much better than the COD system. IN COD, all you have to do to be good is have a lot of time...as you play, your character becomes more and more powerful, leaving those of us with jobs to get assassinated by invisible super hero level characters. In Halo 4, it still has the arcade aspect so even a beginning player with skills can still be competitive. Yes having multiple load-outs and certain powers offers an advantage but not too much of an advantage to make a player dominant simply because of the amount of time spent playing.

Another feature added to Halo 4 is the "Spartan Ops," which are mini campaign objective based missions. They are a lot of fun and can be challenging. Additional chapters for Spartan Ops have already been released free of charge so the guys at 343 are keeping the game interesting here in its first month.

I have played through the campaign once and will certainly play through at least a couple more times. The multiplayer is fast and competitive. The graphics and gameplay are an evolutionary step up from previous versions of Halo. This is what I call a "system," game. The game is good enough that it is worth buying a system for it. So, if you were holding off buying the Xbox, this game alone may be enough to push you over the edge to buy one.
on February 17, 2014
This game features a lot of new features that are okay, such as player made classes. Though, the game just doesn't stack up to halo 3 and reach. The maps are much to basic and do not even compare to the complex halo 3 maps. In addition you'll notice that you'll die much faster in halo 4 than in previous games, which is disappointing to say the least. This game marks the death of the old ways of halo multi-player. Although i do i have to say i never get tired of using the sticky bomb gun!

The campaign mode is okay, it has its moments in the beginning when you first return as master chief, although it starts to dull and it has some missions that seem to drag on with room type progression, facing the same enemy set-up as the previous room.

In short this game marks a great transition for the halo series. New players who pick up the game will no longer be evenly matched against vetern players with custom, experience build classes. And campaign mode will be increasingly linear (assuming the next halo picks up where halo 4 left off). I wouldn't recommend this halo to long time fans, although new players may find some enjoyment in it.
on October 15, 2014
Let me just clear this up first, this game is not a Call of Duty clone. It feels and plays like Halo but 343 made improvements to what would've been a dated formula had they had made the game like older Halo's. If you like Halo and have an open mind for change, you will enjoy this game. One thing I've never understood is how Call of Duty is bashed for being the same thing every title yet when a game has massive changes (like Halo 4) then it sucks and isn't a "real Halo." Pure hypocrisy. Now that I've cleared up the basics I'll get on with it. My impression of the Campaign is it actually has a very entertaining story. Fun and fresh missions are met with that great Halo pacing and story. Even better if you play it cooperatively. Spartan Ops (basically that "third mode" that most shooters have) is actually pretty medicore. Missions are boring, dull, and lack that excitement and fun factor they should have. Spartan Ops is basically a side collection of missions that have their own story, only that story kind of sucks. Then there's the heavily debated multiplayer. I really enjoy it, feels fresh and I can stay on it for 2+ hours without being bored. Very happy with the multiplayer, my only desire is that they bring back the ranking system Halo 3 had instead of the standard level-up system most shooters have. (Here's hoping they bring it back in Halo 5.) Overall years later, this game is still fun. If you haven't purchased it yet then get it, it's very cheap now and with a great campaign and online play, this is a very solid package.
on May 12, 2014
I'm glad I didn't buy this game the day it came out. I would've wasted $60. When I saw a used copy available through Amazon for only $13 + free shipping, I figured I might as well give it a try.

The campaign is unmemorable. This is the only installment in the franchise that I have yet to revisit the single player upon completing it on Legendary. I do so with the previous Halo games made by Bungie and still replay them to this day. I find the level-design in Halo 4 to be quite poor. There are only two missions in particular that I enjoy. The rest follow the same linear format of, "run here, press this button. Run over there, press another button."

I, unlike the majority of the fans on here, find the relationship between the Chief and Cortana rather stale. It's another cliche rendition of a machine falling in love with a human. I understand that it was necessary for 343i to detail her rampancy for the sake of the plot, but I wish they had done so differently. There are times when she's sad, irritable, and stressed, and there are other occasions when when she's happy and humorous; she's a lot like a woman who's experiencing premenstrual syndrome. Some of the dialogues between Cortana and John were quite sappy and cheesy. Examples:

Cortana: *goes AI crazy* THEY REPLACED YOU! Sorry!
Chief: It's okay.
Cortana: How? How is that okay? How is me putting you at risk because I can't keep it together okay?

At the end of the game:
Cortana: *touches Chief on the chest* sigh..I've been waiting so long to do that...

The multiplayer is fun, but it doesn't feel like Halo; it's the bastard child of Call of Duty and Halo. I also dislike the game's ranking system (SR1-130 in contrast to Halo: Reach's military-like ranks). But most of all, I hate the new armor permutation. 90% of the helmets are grotesque. The Spartan-IV's look like cheap action figures. I prefer the gritty look of the Spartan-III in Halo: Reach.
on July 6, 2014
I've been playing Halo for a long time. Actually, probably longer that a good chunk of the Battle.net players have been alive. I've jumped Warthogs, played the Arbiter, rescued Cortana from the Overmind, and done it all multiple times. It goes without saying that I would buy the latest installment of the Master Chief's adventures, on release day. And Amazon delivered it right on time.

Without getting too much into spoiler territory, I can say that the new game development company, 343 Industries, which has taken over the Halo series from Bungie, has done justice
on February 21, 2013
There are a couple hundred reviews that go into the fine details of the game, so I won't bore anybody with more. I'll just say that I've been a Halo fan since the beginning, it was the reason I chose the Xbox over PS2, and can honestly say this is the best Halo yet. Between being deployed to Afghanistan, the mediocre reviews on here and being let down with Reach, I held off on buying this until a couple weeks ago. The graphics are simply amazing; as crisp and beautiful as any game I've seen on a console. I'm not a big online or multiplayer fan, I buy simply for the campaign modes and this is wonderful, a bit short, but awesome. If you are a Halo fan, buy this, you will not regret it it for a second.
on June 4, 2014
First off: Don't listen to what anyone says about Halo 4 being like Call of Duty. It's not. Sure there are loadouts and perks and support packages, but in my opinion those are not owned by Call of Duty. You can't have rights on a game standard. Now, onto the game.

I will start off with the multiplayer because I find it RIDICULOUSLY fun, and the majority of Halo players play multiplayer much more than the campaign.

I have never been good at any of the other Halo games' multiplayers, because I never found any weapons or if I did find a weapon spawn point, someone had gotten to it first. In Halo Reach this was a big problem for me. Sure I got a few kills here and there, but it never was... fun. But it has all changed now.

There are still hidden weapons around the battlefields, but now there is this thing called ordinance drop. Basically if you get enough kills, you get to pick one of 3 advantages that will be shot down to the ground from an invisible frigate. Usually these choices are either a really exceptional weapon ( Railgun, anyone?) or a new set of grenades or a abilty perk, like superspeed or a health boost. This has changed the game for me, and now I am usually at the top of the leaderboards. Sometimes first, but seldom past 6th.

I was skeptical at first because Bungie, the legendary creators of Halo, sold Halo to a new developer, 343 ( it was that and the fact that 343 is a character in the Halo games who is a complete backstabbing bastard). But alas, I was not disappointed with 343. They aren't better than Bungie, but they certainly aren't worse. I loved the new graphics engine and the new armor looks(MUCH better than Halo Reach armor. If you don't believe me, go look at the CQC armor. Bleh). So, Multiplayer concept, check.

Multiplayer Maps:

The maps on Halo 4 are freaking incredible. Ravine is stunning, filled with forerunner tech mountains and grassy knolls. Impact is just breathtaking, as you are in space. But the most spectacular map by far is RAGNAROK. Ragnarok is a remake of a classic Halo 3 map called Valhalla. It. is. Beautiful. There is a spire on each side of the map, with a sea behind one and a mountain behind the other. Marvelous. I never felt that any f the maps were too small, but I think that Adrift could use some work.

Multiplayer Rating
5 Stars

Campaign

The campaign in Halo 4 was a little iffy in my opinion. When you start out you fight the classic aliens called the covenant. They are about the same. Grunts, Jackals, Brutes, Drones, Elites and the like. I didn't like the elite's new makeover. They look too... pale-ish. Play it and you'll see. But now there is a new alien species. Yep, a whole entire freaking species to worry about. They are called the Prometheans. They are silver and orange robot-alien things. They come in 3 types, Knight(Tall, dark, and incredibly frustrating when they teleport), Crawler(just about as annoying as drones. They are like dogs, fast and agile and like grunts, fun to punch in the face), and Watcher(Watchers fly around like drones and can revive dead Knights. Yeah.). The campaign was iffy because of these new aliens. Oh, and they removed the FLOOD from the campaign. Yep. The missions were okay, but these new alien willt ake awhile to get used to.

Campaign rating
3Stars

Spartan Ops

Various missions that involve Prometheans and covenant. It was okay.

4 Stars.

So, overall, Halo 4 is a marvelous game, five stars, if you like both the multiplayer and the campaign. But if you are buying it only for the single player, 3 stars. Thank you for reading.
on March 2, 2013
I'm sure there are more structure reviews out there... I could probably give you one of them. But to save both your and my time, I'll keep it short and sweet.

This is a great game. I'm not talking just as the Halo series goes, or FPS, or sci-fi, I'm talking platform wide. This game definitely pays homage to Halo franchise, which is the reason that many of us are faithful Xboxers. I've played everything Halo: even Halo Wars and ODST... this is easily one of the best.

The multiplayer will still captivate you and the leveling to me is much deeper than Halo 3.

I always like to advise people on how much I'd pay for a game. It gives them an accurate picture if they should wait for the price to drop or the game to go to the bargain box. I'd pay $75. I'd happily pay more than the standard $60 price. I love it that much.

Get it. Seriously, just get it. You truly, truly will not be dissapointed.
on December 24, 2012
When I first heard that bungie was no longer doing halo games it gave me many doubts that 343i's games would not live up to the rest of the series.

First off, the campaign: the graphics in this game are absolutley gorgeous. Smooth textures and animations. The new motion capture was perfect. The story didn't feel so much as a continuation of the previous story but more of a new beginning for a new series. Excellent voice acting and outstanding music. They seem to be setting it up to go more deeply into master chief's personality. I would easily give this 5 out of 5 stars.

Next up, spartan ops: this is a fun little mode set up kind of like a tv show with a new episode each week containing 5 levels each. It doesn't really take the place of firefight (which I never really was a big fan of firefight) but more a second campaign in some ways. All the maps are either a chunk of the campaign or just a plain multiplayer map but adding aliens adds some more dynamics to the maps made for multiplayer. This mode is much better on co-op with a few friends. I would give this part 4 out of 5 stars.

Now onto the multiplayer: this has to be the best part of the entire game. It is worth buying xbox live just for its multiplayer. to start off the loadout system has evolved to something much like modern warfare but it actually fits halo quite well and everything is very balanced. The pace of the multiplayer has been increased to be a bit faster than that of halo reach. The weapons feel like they have all been beefed up quite a bit and the new armour abilities are amazing bringing many new strategies and dynamics to the gameplay. I would give this section 6 out of 5 if I could.

There are many other things I could add to this review but to see just how amazing this game is buy it yourself and play it. If you even have the slightest interest in sci-fi, action, or fps game then you are sure to find this game a masterpiece. This game is definately the best halo yet and definately the best fps and definately my personal favorite so far. I am now anticipating halo 5.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.