Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 101-110 of 226 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 313 reviews
on August 12, 2014
I've always thought the Halo series to be proactive and intriguing from the start, and with a favorite author of mine karen traviss in charge of this one, my excitement only boiledover. I read all of her republic commando books and couldn't stop turning the page and I'm glad to see and read her artistic abilities have transferred over from the start wars universe. A great book if you are familiar with the rest of the Halo lore
on February 14, 2013
It has been nice to have the saga continue on. Great conections to see were they fall into Halo 4.
on February 15, 2013
I was concerned about where they would go in this series after the events of Halo 3... I should never of doubted because this is one of the better books I've ever read, it's so good I also got it on Audiobook. Highly recommend this one.
on January 17, 2013
This book arrived on time as expected and in perfect condition halo is a great acience fiction franchise i love how it takes place after the ghost of onyx and the look inside option is very helpful.
on October 31, 2011
If you haven't read any Halo books yet, read this last. If you've read the others, read the Halo Evolutions to get a feel for this writer: this is more of the same as her stuff in that. This is putting it very generously.
on June 19, 2013
I wasn't sure if I'd be interested in reading another Halo book now that Halo 3 is long gone, but this book was hard to put down. Karen Traviss' characters are really fun to read about. The cast has really solidified their place in my heart.
on January 8, 2013
Even with all the crucifixion of Halsey I thought it was great! its all a matter of perspective with this book, you see the point of view through the Sangheili, Jul 'Mdama who sees human as vermin and to be Eradicated, The Team Kilo-Five who Express their distaste of the Spartan program and of Halsey's actions and The Spartans and Halsey who fight amongst themselves over each others moral mistakes. It was very interesting to see all of their point of views in detail and learn about all of the post war problems that have risen. My favourite parts were learning about the Huragok (Engineers) which were relied on heavily by the covenant during the war and how they communicate. All in all it was one of the best reads ever!
on August 10, 2013
A brand new perspective of the Halo universe. The point of view of the seedy ONI branch of the UNSC adds a mystery thiller story line, which creates the sweet mixture of action adventure, spy games, and political strife that accompany any war.
on July 11, 2012
A lot of pixels have been spilled about the treatment of Dr. Halsey and the SPARTAN II program in this book, and I will admit, Traviss does belabor her point. This does not make her point wrong however. Though I would have made the same choice as Halsey, she is in fact one who kidnapped children to mold into soldiers. This fact is at the core of the Halo universe and in order to really move the story forward this must be addressed. I think a large part of the problem that many readers have with Traviss' approach is based upon their (myself included) adulation of the SPARTANs as the ultimate expression of martial virtue. They are indeed the ultimate warriors. Because of this adulation we tend to gloss over the crime and focus upon the awesome result. We do not want our noses rubbed in it so to speak because most us, especially those who have played the games fantasize about being a SPARTAN. This is no excuse not to face the reality of what we adulate, lest we minimize the terrible cost. Halsey knew it would come eventually if she survived the war. As I said, I would definitely choose to spend or ruin a few hundred lives to save billions as Halsey decided. That however is still a crime and I would expect to face the consequences, my reward being that terrorists were thwarted saving billions, and that due to my work my species was still around to enforce the law.

The book goes into Sangheili culture and politics like the Cole Protocol and handles it well. The team we follow is quite well depicted and are all affable and likeable. A new AI and cool ONI tech is a plus as well. Yes it has a "too be continued" ending, but I do not see that as a crime. Not much shooty-shooty action, but there is a bit and what is there is quality. This book does an excellent job setting the stage for the Halo universe post Covenant. as set up, the sequel to this promises to have much more epic combat action!
on June 19, 2013
This book and it's sequel are excellent additions to the Halo Universe. Karen Travis does an amazing job of writing and is definitely worth the read if you're a fan of the expanded Halo Universe.