Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 484 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 795 reviews
on September 19, 2017
This book is great for anyone who wants to know more about the origins of the Spartans and the master cheif leading up to the events of Halo CE. The story was well told, covering the decades between the selecting of the Spartans toward the tititular fall of the planet reach. What was severely lacking in my opinion was depth. The book doesn't spend enough time describing major events and leaves us with huge gaps in time. It covers the major battle of reach in only a few pages. It should have spent more time developing the Spartans and contrasting them to ordinary Marines. The author alludes to the super-hero like reverance of the Spartans but doesnt really SHOW it. I was a little disappointed that we didn't get to read about more of the Spartans exploits that made them so valuable in the war. I suppose I just would have appreciated a little more content, it felt thin.

The space battles we're the highlight for me, very exciting and descriptive.

Every Halo fan should read this book, but someone expecting a good sci-fi novel should probably skip it.
on June 26, 2004
I was always a fan of Halo, loved the game, waiting in anticipation for Halo 2 to come out this November 9th.
However, during the summer one has alot of time on his or her hands. Such was the case with me.
Coming off the Ender Wiggin Quarter (if you haven't read Ender's Game, Speaker For The Dead, Xenocide and Children of the Mind by Orson Scott Card, your missing out on one hell of a series!), I was looking for something else to ease my summer time boredom.
I found what I was looking for with the Halo Series. At first, I was slightly skeptical since I could not fathom the possibility that a video game might be turned into a half decent read. Even after looking at the reviews from Amazon, I wasn't entirely convinced but figured what the hell and went ahead and ordered Books 1-3 in the Halo Series. After reading Halo: Fall of Reach, I was glad I turned out to be very very wrong about Halo's ability to be turned into a fascinating book. If you were a fan of the video game you'll love Fall of Reach. One of Nylund's best books, chapters spaced out nicely, tons of action that make the pages turn themselves for hours on end.
Fall of Reach is about the creation of the Spartan program (which is what the Master Chief is). Fall of Reach is centered mainly around filling in the gaps between pre-Halo and Halo itself. The whole storyline is truly fascinating for military buffs, science fiction fans, and video game series fans alike.
If there is one series you pickup this summer, make it the Halo series. You won't regret it!
on December 27, 2016
awesome read for halo fans. He describes combat so well it was a real treat. if you liked this novel , check out the forerunner trilogy and learn about the awesome didact and the forerunners
on January 1, 2017
I really enjoyed how much I got to know the Master Chief's back story. I also loved how all the Spartans are portrayed. Even though there are some inconsistencies with the rest of the lore, this is still a must read!
on April 4, 2014
I have played multiplayer Halo 1 and 2. I play video games all the time but never got into this one. I love good Sci-Fi. This book far exceeded my expectations. I didn't know anything about this universe going in. That said this book is extremely well written, I want to play the campaigns of these games now.

The author does a great job of keeping you on the edge of your seat from chapter to chapter. The fact that this book was conceived and went to print in four months is nothing short of extraordinary. If you like good Sci-Fi then you will love this book. I can't wait to read the next book in this series.
on June 27, 2017
If you're Halo Lore Veteran or just getting started this book is for you. The book is about the Master Chief and the other Spartan ll's from when they're young upto when the video Halo:CE starts. The writting is very action packed and immersed into character development. It's my second favorite out of the 19 Halo books I own.
on October 6, 2016
I prefer sci-fi when reading fiction, and was looking for a good, clean, series to get into. This book delivered. Minimal vulgarity, no lewdness or sexual innuendo, definitely has some gore (but isn't as graphic as the second book in this series)- just tons of action packed sci-fi goodness.

I've only played the first Halo game, and only the single player campaign- and thoroughly loved it. This book explains Master Chief's history which I knew nothing of.

If you enjoy Sci-Fi, and enjoyed the Halo story line from the games, check this series out. I strongly recommend it!
on October 25, 2010
Eric Nylund's 2001 release of Halo: The Fall of Reach is easily one of my favorite novels of all time. While I admit I enjoy the lore of the Halo universe I did read the original release in it's entirety before the release of the any Halo game. That being said I feel I will be able to give a very truthful/accurate review on the 2010 re-issue of Halo: The Fall of Reach after reading the novel.

First I would like to say that the negatives of this review are canon inconsistencies either not corrected from the original book or not addressed in the re-issue. The novel is excellently written by Nylund with the material he was given in 2001 and the 2010 re-issue is for the most part the same material. The story explains in great detail the origin of the Spartan-II super soldiers in the Halo universe. The story is focused on one young boy named "John" who will be turned into a Spartan-II super soldier than many fans of the series will know as the Master Chief.

While much of the book remains unchanged from the original 2001 release, the re-issue ties in some loose ends in the canon. It answers the fate on the Spartan-III from Noble Team named Jun who was tasked with escorting Dr.Cathrine Halsey to ONI Castle Base. It also explains why Cathrine Halsey was abducted by the Covenant leading to the events in the anime "The Package" featured in Halo: Legends.

While the only true negatives in the re-issue are incorrect dates or corrected dates of events that are not fully explained. Overall the story is still a five star novel that any sci-fi fan will enjoy.
on February 18, 2013
I've been reading all my life, across numerous genres. I have always had a special place in my heart for good sci-fi and fantasy, but Fall of Reach really stands out from the pack. As a Marine myself, poorly written/psuedo military sci-fi has always irked me. Unlike many other military sci-fi books out there, Fall of Reach is authentically written, true to the nature of the military, and scientifically innovative. The core of the book, the journey from innocent childhood to a grim warrior as the Master Chief, is tenderly written. I've re-read this book at least a dozen times, and it always excites me and inspires me; a novel thing for a novel based off of a video game. This definitive edition has corrected some plot inconsistencies that arose due to the hyper compressed production timeline (the foreword mentions the book when from conception to final print in 4 months), and after having read it, I feel it is truly worthy of the term "definitive edition."
on February 26, 2014
I bought this book as I'm just getting into Halo recently and have been devouring anything to do with it in the last few months. I was definitely surprised at the level of writing for this story given that it's based on a video game and I expected it to be pretty cheesy. I love the back story we get of the Spartan program and the crew of the Pillar of Autumn.

My only couple of gripes were that the timeline/story in this book doesn't really match up with the story from Halo:Reach the game, which is definitely my favorite game in the series. I understand that this book was written before the game came out so I shouldn't blame it for the discrepancies, but it distracted me quite a bit while reading.

My only other gripe was I think just genre-wise, I'm not normally a big fan of military/actiony type books so some scenes seem over-explained and overly long describing hit for hit battles and reloading of weapons, etc.

Overall though I loved the story and couldn't put this book down. I loved seeing the Covenant from the eyes of Master chief, especially some of the instances where he's seeing a specific species for the first time (his first Hunter battle was awesome!).