Beauty Best Books of the Month Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Carters Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon theaffairS4 theaffairS4 theaffairS4  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on April 28, 2015
I'd like to give this tea kettle 5 stars because it really looks good. A nice addition to any kitchen counter.

This tea kettle replaces another Stainless Hamilton Beach Tea Kettle (pictured) we've used for maybe 6-8 years. It's worked flawlessly. Recently it developed a slight leak at the base of sight glass; necessitating its replacement.

Here are the reasons that it fails a 5 stars rating IMHO
Ergonomically, the 40870 rates 2 stars. While it really is a nice design to look at, when the kettle is full, it's downright uncomfortable to lift and pour. Exacerbating the problem is the curved plastic handle. It's slick. This makes it even more of a challenge to control and pour comfortably. The old HB kettle we're replacing wins hands down for safe, balanced and easy pouring. If you're thinking of giving this to Grandma, and she has arthritis in her hands, better rethink this as her gift.

The sight glass for determining appropriate water level gets only 1 star - The old model wins hands down.
It is no longer easy to see water level in tea kettle using sight glass. With old model, sight glass was clear plastic on back of handle (picture) and easy to see water level. Sight glass on new kettle is in front of handle grip making it a challenge to check water level. Instead of being a clear plastic, it is now a milky white plastic. What were they thinking? Thumbs down.

Power Dock - Unlike the old Hamilton Beach model we're replacing, the power dock base (not pictured) now has a "non-skid" base. It's a nuisance. It makes sliding your tea kettle out of the way when not in use.

I'll never like this kettle as much as the one it replaces. Too bad. I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt with a 4 star rating...in my heart of hearts it deserves only 3 for this poorly thought out design choices.
review imagereview image
10 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on August 12, 2015
Not sure why this is a number one seller. I suggest not wasting your money on this item. After little over a month the mesh inside the electric kettle broke off. This is an important piece since it filters the water and does not let any mineral accumulation come out. Not sure how it happened but I was not able to get a replacement through Amazon since it had been over a month. They recommended I contact Hamilton which I did but after speaking with them they could send me a replacement but had to charged me shipping of $10 dollars. I didn't think it was fair since I had just bought it and was going to have to pay more for the same item. Save your money people and get something else.
review imagereview imagereview image
12 people found this helpful
on February 3, 2010
***Update 2/25/15****

Both kettles I have purchased are still going strong with daily use. Couldn't be happier. I had given 2 away as gifts and as far as I know they are also working well.

****original review****

So after spending a little over a week searching for a suitable kettle I have definitely found the perfect match. I recently received a 6 cup teapot and wanted to keep it in my room along with an electric kettle to replace going into the kitchen and brewing cup after cup of tea.

My criteria
- Stainless steel with as little plastic contact as possible.
- Hidden heating element.
- Simple functions, the less bells and whistles the less to break
- Good spout
- Inexpensively priced.

What I like about this kettle:
- It met all my criteria.
- After brewing and discarding 4 kettle fulls there is no discernible aftertaste.
- No plastic contact inside, there is a plastic water level but it isn't in direct contact with the largest body of water in the kettle. Also, the tube for the boiling shut off is made from stainless as well, not plastic which is really nice.
- Is real metal not just plasticy coated metal imitator I saw on a few of the models.
- The inside bottom is a stainless plate with the heating element underneath making clean up easy.
- The outside bottom is plastic and gets warm not burning hot so it can be placed onto a surface.
- Slides onto the base easily.
- Auto shutoff works well.

What worries me: I say worries because it isn't a problem right now but may be a few months down the line.
- The lid opens with a button which if it breaks could potentially be a problem, not to fill the kettle as the spout provides adequate room to fill it with, but to clean it.
- After two brews i took the little filter out. I am using it only to heat water and only with filtered water so to me it seems unnecessary.
- The switch at the bottom, it doesn't seem flimsy per say but it does seem to be a little loose, its not a push button so I worry it may give out.

Duh, or common sense things that people seem to have an issue with:
- It gets hot. Yes. It's supposed to. Since the body is stainless steel, which is a good thermal conductor, it will be hot. The handle provides ample room to grab though.
- It will be heavy if completely full. Yes, water in larger amounts does get heavy. The kettle itself isn't much heaver than a standard coffee carafe so it should not add much to the overall weight.
- It can be a bit loud. Its boiling water, the kettle doesn't have any sound or heat insulation so yes you will be able to hear it. Honestly for me its not really a bother. The kettle sits on its own table next to my desk and I find it kind of soothing. Plus if I am heating water for green tea or white tea I can listen in and shut it off before it comes full boil.
- Along those lines, if you leave water in it for some time yes the water will cool. It is not a warmer nor is it a thermos that will keep it to the same temperature all day.

Overall:
I am very satisfied with this product. I have already recommended it to several people and it has been serving me well. Its not a fancy appliance so it does its job and doesn't require a tremendous effort on my part which was exactly what I was looking for.
836 people found this helpful
|1919 comments|Report abuse
on April 19, 2016
I would not purchase this item again. The effort to make it look sleek and stylish has hindered its usage. The lid doesn't open wide enough to get the faucet into a good position and the strainer and lid attachment hardware narrow that area even further. The top rim is angled in relation to the bottom so it's hard to tell how much water you've added while filling until you set it on the counter.

Sometimes water leaks out around the switch while heating and while I'm not sure of it, I think it's getting splashed into the wrong internal area while filling if the water runs over the hinge assembly.

I gave it two stars because it heats water.
4 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on March 27, 2015
This product came to me DOA. Would not turn heat up. Indicator light would not turn on. Tried different outlets and read the manual for idea. No luck.

Amazon handled the situation perfectly. They paid return shipping including UPS pickup. I couldn't be more satisfied with Amazon here. They're great!

But I'm almost glad this kettle arrived broken. I noticed a few flaws even without being able to use it. The handle is bulky and unwieldy. The lid flings open. The size of the kettle is very large - much larger than I imagined. And the top entry to the pot is so small, and the lid doesn't open that wide, so you will never be able to get your hand inside to clean it. I also found it slightly annoying to fill, and found that the pouring wasn't perfectly clean.

I ordered the Chef's Choice 673 Cordless Compact Electric Kettle to replace it, and I am so happy that I did. It's a little smaller volume-wise, but WAY smaller in terms of overall size, making it much more manageable. The top opening is big enough to get my hand into, and the lid doesn't fling open automatically. I love it.
2 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
Good for the purpose intended. It has no bells and whistles, but boils water fast. There is no way to see the temperature or how much water is in the kettle. I use it just to boil enough water for 2-3 cups of tea, so I don't care about having one you program. Water is boiling within just minutes and its definitely easier than using a tea kettle on the stove. For the price, its worth it. I am loving this more every day. One tip: Use the boiling water to pour in the bathroom sink where you brush your teeth and that drain will not CLOG again. It works and a plumber told me to do it. This means less plumber visits for clogged sinks!

EDIT OF MY REVIEW:

Soon after receiving the kettle at a very good price from Amazon, I dropped and broke the kettle in the bathtub, destroying the ON/OFF switch--my fault.

I reordered from HOUSEWARES (a third party seller---the price had tripled and they NEVER EVER communicated with me or showed any accurate shipping information. This drove me NUTS: HERE is precisely what happened: I wrote and wrote to them asking WHEN THEY EXPECT I MIGHT RECEIVE THE NEW KETTLE. THEY NEVER REPLIED. THE STATUS SHOWED EVERY SINGLE DAY AS: "SHIPPING TODAY" and that went on for a solid WEEK!

Finally, over a week after they send they were shipping it, I HAD ALREADY RECEIVED THE NEW KETTLE FROM ONTRAC LATE AT NIGHT 7 DAYS EARLIER THAN STATED IT WOULD SHIP.

NEVER EVER DID THE AMAZON ORDER PAGE REFLECT THAT THIS OCCURRED. I HAD TO KEEP REPORTING IT UNTIL I WAS MORE THAN EXHAUSTED.

NOT UNTIL I HAD BEEN USING IT FOR OVER A WEEK, DID THE AMAZON ORDER PAGE SHOW THAT THE KETTLE WAS EVER DELIVERED. IT WAS STILL A 5-star KETTLE. HOUSEWARES SELLS AT TRIPLE THE PRICE AND JUST DOES NOT COMMUNICATE ANY ACCURATE SHIPPING INFORMATION UNTIL I HAD IT FOR A SOLID WEEK. THERE WAS NO RECORD OF IT EVER SHIPPING UNTIL OVER A WEEK LATER.

I WILL NEVER USE HOUSEWARES AGAIN AS THEY DO NOT COMMUNICATE EVER OR PROVIDE ANY ACCURATE INFORMATION CONCERNING SHIPPING. I WAITED AND WAITED EVERY DAY.

ONE DAY, I FOUND A DRENCHED KETTLE FROM ONTRAC AND AMAZON AND HOUSEWARES BOTH HAD NO CLUE.

I STRONGLY URGE YOU: THIS IS A HORRIBLE SELLER. NO ONE COMMUNICATES AND NO SHIPPING INFORMATION IS REMOTELY ACCURATE. WHEN THEY INFORMED ME THEY WERE SHIPPING?

I TOLD THEM I HAVE HAD THE KETTLE FOR OVER A WEEK AND HAVE BEEN USING IT EVERY SINGLE DAY. NO CUSTOMER SHOULD HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS. ND HOUSEWARES COULD NOT CARE LESS. THEY NEVER EVEN ACKNOWLEDGED THESE PROBLEMS WHICH ARE HUGE. THIS HAS BEEN A STUNNINGLY NIGHTMARE OF AN EXPERIENCE IN EVERY SINGLE ASPECT IN DEALING WITH A SELLER FROM HELL.
on September 6, 2013
I got sick of running downstairs to the kitchen every time I wanted a cup of tea at the end of the day. Or, sometimes the middle of the night, as the Yogi Kava Stress Relief has become my go-to, non-drowsy-non-headachy-the-next-day, natural sleep aid. I have a small refrigerator in my bedroom, and I put this kettle with my teas on a silver tea tray on top of it. Perfect and convenient!

I have really been trying to eliminate plastics in the kitchen/food storage area. It's almost impossible to completely avoid it, but I figure every little bit helps reduce contact with nasty, breast cancer causing chemicals. At the very least, eliminating hot beverages coming in contact with plastic is a no-brainer.

The view window on the kettle is plastic, but somehow I think they've managed to keep the hot water out of contact with it. As nearly as I can tell, anyway. The inside of the kettle has a smooth, stainless steel plate covering where the handle is attached, which is where the view window is located. It seems as though a small amount of water is siphoned off to the view window area, but the main vessel where the water is hot is all stainless. They include a spout filter that is metal mesh and plastic, to reduce scale, but that pops out for cleaning and I just left it out. I use filtered water for tea anyway, so I don't anticipate a real scale issue. And as others have noted, the heating element is outside, making cleaning a snap. You also don't have to fit it just so when placing it on the element. There is just a small mound in the middle, which the hole in the kettle fits right over.

I ran 3 kettles full of tap water through before my first pot that I drank, as per the directions, and there is NO discernible flavor! Yay! And I have a crazy-hyper sense of smell, so ANY off flavor is not going to pass my palate test!

The cord is short, but I would assume that's a good thing. They recommend unplugging it when not in use. Yeah, umm, sure. They also recommend dumping the water out each time so the idle kettle remains empty, to reduce the advent of the dreaded scale monsters. Again, yeah...never gonna happen. The whole point of this contraption is to reduce my trips down to the kitchen, not increase them. If you don't use the kettle daily, you might not want to leave water just sitting there for days on end. But otherwise, I chalk these little recommendations up to the "CYA" portion of the legal-eze.

If you wait for the kettle to complete it's full cycle, which includes a rolling boil, and the kettle then shutting itself off, it takes about 7-8 minutes filled to the "Max" line, with room temp-ish water. However, any self-respecting tea drinker knows that rolling boil is too hot for most teas. You can hear the water heating up, and when it starts to quiet down, I flip the switch off, and brew my tea. The first pot I made was at the FULL boil, and it was way too hot to drink, even if you had used it for instant coffee or Ramen noodles. The time to reach the hot-enough-to-make-a-beverage-but-not-scald-your-lips-off-your-face temperature is significantly less, about in the 3-4 minute range, though I haven't timed it exactly.

LOVE the pour spout, by the way! It does NOT leak! And the handle is ergonomically positioned so as to not feel like it weighs a ton when full.

Oh ya--like the other reviewer said--just put a finger or two on the lid when you pop the button open, and it won't fling water. It's not rocket science, but some seemed to struggle with this. All in all, I'm pleased so far (only been a few days) with this little kettle! If that should change with time, I'll update.
3 people found this helpful
on March 18, 2018
I've used this for 5 years. It still works great, I make hot water almost everyday.
I shared it with other 2 roommates for 2 years. Tottaly enough for 3 people in apartment or house. It can cooks water very fast then I can make tea, instant coffee or lemon honey...
The silver stainless body is easy to clean up with a magic sponge. The only problem is the level of the water is no loner readable.
As the print on the plastic parts are blurred. Most of the time, I just feel how heavy it is then I can make the right amount of hot water.

I think it is a very reliable product.
on July 6, 2015
Can't beat the price. Simple product -- heats water quickly, although not as fast I thought it would, but still fast. I love the automatic shut off. I can put the water on, walk away, and not worry about the stove being on. Water stays hot so if I come back 20 minutes later, water still very hot. Easy and no worries. I never unwrapped the cord after taking it out of the box and find that by keeping the kettle near the outlet, I can keep the cord short, avoiding the dangers of a long cord, and it looks better, too. Have read complaints about the plastic top. If you're careful, as with any product, you'll be fine.

UPDATE: Have had this not even a month and the red indicator light is no longer working. Bummer. But the kettle still works fine -- heats my water pretty fast -- so I'm not going to return it. But I am revising my star rating down one -- from 4 to 3. I like the product and because of the price would still recommend it...

2ND UPDATE: I've had this for almost a month and have used it once per day. Have never left water in the kettle. The stainless steel bottom (interior) is developing multiple rust spots after not even 1 month's use. I guess you get what you pay for. It's going back. Waste of time -- I'm just happy it rusted before the 30 days was up so I can return it. Otherwise it'd be a waste of money. I started off very happy with this and wanted to love it. Don't waste your time. Pay a little more and get a better kettle. That's what I'm going to do -- and not one made in China.
One person found this helpful
on January 2, 2014
I love this kettle, or more importantly, I love the functionality that this kettle provides! The fact that I can put some water to boil in a container that requires zero oversight and turns itself off when it hits the boiling point is invaluable to me. I purchased this kettle in hopes that it would live up to the hype, and it does. The water boils, the pot handle never gets hot to the touch, and the auto shut off feature has worked every time. I drink tea every weekend and prefer to use boiling water, ovens, etc. over a microwave to heat something whenever I possibly can. This has helped a lot with that. There are few purchases from Amazon that see the same level of use as this pot and it continues to function like new! With that said, there is definitely a few things that I would take into mind when purchasing it:

1) Do you fill from the sink, or from a britta filter or something else like that? The lid has a tiiiny little hole that is meant to be filled via a facet. I use a Britta filter and it can be a wet mess if you're not careful. The kettle is built around a facet filling and when you need to fill it with your right hand using a Britta the lid area and the lid itself can get in the way and cause problems.

2) It needs a fluid liter as the bare minimum to run. This is basically 2 coffee cups of water in order to (sometimes) make one cup. When I started using this kettle I would empty the water between uses (if I was taking a few hours off from using it) to prevent gross build up. Doing this gets tedious because you need a lot of water just to run it. Fortunately, there is a filter on the front of the spout to stop gross stuff from falling/climbing into the kettle, but it's definitely something to bear in mind!

3) It's (supposedly) BPA free, according to a website that I saw posted. The plastic does not (I can't really get into it to see, but it's very minimal if it does) touch the water. This might be a key point for anybody that is concerned with this type of thing. I'm not really sure where the article that listed this was, but I believe that I found it by doing a decent amount of googling.

4) This might just be because of my water temp coming out of the fridge, but it seems like it takes a decent amount of time to heat the water. It sometimes takes over ten minutes to do so.. Kind of a long wait, but it still does the job.

In summary:
This is a tea kettle that still works really well despite being used a minimum of twice a day during the past 6 months. For under $30 this is a great option that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to a friend. I don't have a lot of experience with the higher end more expensive models, but it seems like the lid problem that I mentioned earlier would be a problem with many other kettles, too. We'll have to wait and see if the time to heat the water gets to be any slower. As is this still takes about the same amount of time that it would take to heat up some water on the stove..
One person found this helpful