Amazon Business Books with Buzz STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery March Birthstone Book House Cleaning GimmeDanger GimmeDanger GimmeDanger  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Elton John Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 826 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 965 reviews
on July 31, 2010
This little blender is a jewel. Just the right size for a fairly large fruit smoothie. I've had it now for about a month, and have made a breakfast drink every day and its been very dependable. Some of the reviews I read prior to purchasing this one were somewhat negative. The issue was smelling the electric motor like it was overheating and not being able to blend some fruits like pineapple or apples. I haven't experienced the problems and suspect the folks were not (1)"pulsing" the drink mix as called for in the instructions and (2) not using only tender fruits like bananas and strawberries. The small motor is not designed for a hard grind nor continuous use, hence "pulse is required". And on top of being the right size, this blender was priced within my frugal budget. Yes, I'm a tight wad and demand a good product for my money, and this one fit the bill.
Ric

UPDATE:05/22/12 - Still going strong. I still make a smoothie or a breakfast drink everyday. This product is now a seven star for me!
Ric
55 comments| 252 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 3, 2013
There are plenty of solid reviews for this, so to put your mind at ease about the others, let me address the one-star reviews.

Says one: "Doesn't work on ANYTHING. Can't even make smoothies." Makes you wonder what use the fifty people who gave it five stars have for it. A paperweight perhaps?

Two people remark that it doesn't blend raw fruit or vegetables. If they're trying this without liquid, they either 1) are not very bright; or 2) have wildly unrealistic expectations of a $20 drink blender.

I can tell you that I have bought a lot of these (mostly in the plastic version), because I think they are fantastic and I give them as gifts. When I get a new one for myself, it's because the old one is kind of gross from a year's worth of smoothie residue stuck in the cracks.

The stainless steel looks nicer in the kitchen, but I kind of miss being able to see what's happening during blending. A tradeoff...but either way, I promise you can make a smoothie.

ADVICE/UPDATE: It's possible given the design that if you put ice/fruit at the bottom, it will get stuck there and not get drawn into the blades. Put in your liquid first, and then your ice at the top.
66 comments| 322 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 27, 2015
I was open to spending a LOT more, but for the purpose of making protein smoothies (a little ice, couple scoops of powder, some fruit, water) this kept coming up in searches as a really good solution. It seemed too cheap but I gave it a try and it's perfect for this use. It's extremely thoughtfully designed, and the build quality does seem better than I expected. I guess they save money by not paying for informercials.

My other criteria: I didn't want another hand-blender because they are messy and hard to clean. I didn't want to use my full size blender because it's a hassle to clean, I always seemed to make too much, and its too big to leave out on the counter.

This little machine rinses out easily and stores no bigger than a large water bottle. I like the stainless steel, true you can't tell by sight when it's done, but I can tell pretty well by the sound (when you pulse it and you don't hear any more grinding sounds.) I wouldn't mind the option for a bigger cup, but that's pretty easy to work around and the small cup helps discourage overeating.
on February 13, 2013
I went on Amazon to get a new Magic Bullet since my old one was about five years old and acting up, when I saw this. I love it but the included instructions say to not use it with things such as hard cheese or dry crackers so it you want to use ice cubes that could be a problem. I saw reviews mentioning a burnt plastic smell. I got that once when I held the button down for about ten seconds. Now I just pulse the button and it works perfectly. I'm completely satisfied with everything about it.
on January 26, 2013
Love this little blender. Read reviews where individuals stated they smelled a burning smell when then started blending in the unit. I haven't experienced any smells, the blender blends powder protein shakes in seconds, and I DO mean seconds. So there's no need for long, repeated blending because it fast, quick and to the point. I haven't tried adding fruits, vegetables or other foods in my protein shake. To me it defeats the purpose of trying to build muscle and lose fat. The unit is so easy to clean and so compact that I have one at work and home. When I make a shake at work I simply rinse the blender with hot water and it's clean. Note I recommend adding your milk first, then adding your powder shake to avoid the powder getting stuck near the blender blades.

I'm very happy with both of mine and have had no problems thus far.
on August 16, 2012
This personal blender does just what it says. It blends. I am on the HMR diet in which I blend and drink 3 or more shakes per day. These are mixed powder and ice cubes and this blender handles it all great. Add fruit, no problem. It is more quiet than my big blender I use at home for larger portions. Best of all it sits on a desk taking up no more space than the cup itself. Perfect!
on May 4, 2015
I don't comment very frequently on product performance. Typically, I find that the merchandise I purchase on Amazon meets the overall ratings posted for that merchandise at the time I buy it. I also want to caveat this review by noting that I am not a negative person and I am not a malcontent. Sometimes things don't work as well as you'd like them to. That's life. BUT...

The Hamilton Beach 51108 Stainless Single Serve Blender is not only the worst blender I have ever used, it is quite possibly the worst kitchen appliance (or any appliance, for that matter) that I have ever used. But let me explain, based on the standard that I used to reach that scathing (and accurate) critique: What is the expected and typical use of the product?

As far as blenders go, no matter the cost, there are two critical functions that a consumer expects: (1) the appliance will blend substances (the speed and thoroughness of which may be dependent on price range, manufacturer, varied blender settings, etc.) and (2) the appliance, while blending, will keep the blended substances contained within the device. The second criteria is implicit, of course. No one wants that mess every time they use the blender.

Well, I am sorry to say that I cannot evaluate whether this blender adequately blends any substance. As soon as I hit the “pulse” blending button, water/coffee/fruit juice (depending on the morning) came spewing out the top of the blender cover through the small hole at the top (designed for releasing air while drinking from the removable stainless steel mug) and the sides of the sliding mechanism on the cover (which is there, presumably, to allow one to drink whatever was blended straight from the stainless steel mug). The liquid--whatever it happened to be after three further trials--was everywhere. The desk. The countertop. The floor. I was stunned. I thought maybe I had done something wrong. I refastened the lid on the container. Same result. I cut the amount of liquid or fruit or water that I was blending in half (maybe I shouldn’t have filled the container ¾ of the way up the stainless steel mug). Same result. I cut THAT amount in half. Same result. It was a disaster.

So in the end, I bought a blender to blend things. It is simply not feasible to blend anything with this device, unless the user is ok with cleaning up the 3-foot space around the blender after every use. Do not buy this blender. If you desperately need to blend something, and this is the only option, I recommend not blending whatever it is that you desperately need to blend. Live without it.

The Hamilton Beach 51108 Stainless Single Serve Blender is utterly worthless, a failure in design and ingenuity, and rests peacefully at the bottom of my garbage can where it belongs.
on January 27, 2015
I purchased this a "self-gift" over a year ago and it has been a super addition. I travel a lot and take it w/ me on the road to make protein shakes. Recommended!
review image
on October 22, 2015
This did not. Work. The very first time I tried it, I pressed the button and it didn't blend. It was like it wasn't even plugged in, nothing happened. After repeated attempts, it finally blended, but it happened every time I tried to make a smoothie. It wasn't any crazy mixture either - milk, protein powder, frozen raspberries. I returned it. No bueno.
on March 13, 2017
Purchased the blender for a trip to make simple morning smoothies with only powdered supplements and water. Only used one time and the motor was smoking after only a few seconds. I did not overfill the blender and followed the instructions for use. I do not recommend this product and am returning it for a refund.