Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment. Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18SW_gno

on September 3, 2013
There are plenty of solid reviews for this, so to put your mind at ease about the others, let me address the one-star reviews.

Says one: "Doesn't work on ANYTHING. Can't even make smoothies." Makes you wonder what use the fifty people who gave it five stars have for it. A paperweight perhaps?

Two people remark that it doesn't blend raw fruit or vegetables. If they're trying this without liquid, they either 1) are not very bright; or 2) have wildly unrealistic expectations of a $20 drink blender.

I can tell you that I have bought a lot of these (mostly in the plastic version), because I think they are fantastic and I give them as gifts. When I get a new one for myself, it's because the old one is kind of gross from a year's worth of smoothie residue stuck in the cracks.

The stainless steel looks nicer in the kitchen, but I kind of miss being able to see what's happening during blending. A tradeoff...but either way, I promise you can make a smoothie.

ADVICE/UPDATE: It's possible given the design that if you put ice/fruit at the bottom, it will get stuck there and not get drawn into the blades. Put in your liquid first, and then your ice at the top.
66 comments| 403 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 27, 2015
I was open to spending a LOT more, but for the purpose of making protein smoothies (a little ice, couple scoops of powder, some fruit, water) this kept coming up in searches as a really good solution. It seemed too cheap but I gave it a try and it's perfect for this use. It's extremely thoughtfully designed, and the build quality does seem better than I expected. I guess they save money by not paying for informercials.

My other criteria: I didn't want another hand-blender because they are messy and hard to clean. I didn't want to use my full size blender because it's a hassle to clean, I always seemed to make too much, and its too big to leave out on the counter.

This little machine rinses out easily and stores no bigger than a large water bottle. I like the stainless steel, true you can't tell by sight when it's done, but I can tell pretty well by the sound (when you pulse it and you don't hear any more grinding sounds.) I wouldn't mind the option for a bigger cup, but that's pretty easy to work around and the small cup helps discourage overeating.
on September 30, 2014
Used for a week twice a day so far. This thing is stellar. I make smoothies with ice cubes and frozen berries, and they are generally smooth and pretty wonderful. After a lot of the reviews, I am kind of blown away by how good it works.

However. BE CAREFUL. Don't use it with the lid off while plugged in. It is really shallow and the blades are right there... Also I tried to remove the lid once while it was plugged in and accidentally hit the button. That day I tried to make bulletproof coffee with it... I got covered in pretty warm, greasy coffee... The button is really easy to hit when you are not paying attention.

Also try to manage the motor. If you small something, take a break. I try to run it in 15-30 second bursts with a short break.

Use plenty of liquid. It simply won't blend solids down without liquids. It isn't going to make crushed ice. Sometimes I can't seem to get those couple small ice chunks, but it can still make a really nice smoothie that is pretty smooth outside of those.

This thing is much more compact than I expected even. We don't have a lot of room, so it was a good choice.

I tried Bulletproof Coffee in it, and it was not a great choice. Hot liquids are not super smart in such a small pitcher. There is very little room for the pressure. And the lid has a drink spout that can easily leak with even a little pressure. So a good bit of coffee shoved up through that. Make sure you cover it with a towel. I might do it again, but if you wanted it regularly, get a bigger blender...
on March 16, 2018
I love this thing! I originally got it for my sis who lives in Switzerland. Well, she didn't have a plug for it so she gave it back to me. Lately I've been wanting to eat more fruits and veggies, but do not want the mess in using my full-size blender. This thing is perfect! First put a little juice in it, throw in whatever fruits and veggies I have (even blueberries in freezer), and blend up everything. Just make sure to cut up big pieces first, and don't jam up too much at once. I like the fact that after I'm done, I can just throw it into the dishwasher and it doesn't take up room like a full size blender would.
on August 16, 2012
This personal blender does just what it says. It blends. I am on the HMR diet in which I blend and drink 3 or more shakes per day. These are mixed powder and ice cubes and this blender handles it all great. Add fruit, no problem. It is more quiet than my big blender I use at home for larger portions. Best of all it sits on a desk taking up no more space than the cup itself. Perfect!
11 comment| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 28, 2015
This is a good basic smoothie maker for fruit and liquids. It doesn't grind up kale or veggies good as it is not strong but works well with my frozen berries and other assorted fruits. Don't like the lid as it came off many times and spilled all over my car and me. I now put smoothie into a jar when I take it on the road. Definitely don't trust the lid to stay on tightly. It's ok for home. I also use it to beat up my eggs for omlets. Works fine for that too. Make sure lid it on and the spout is closed when you press the button! This is MUCH better than the plastic version. Manufacturer must make some changes on that lid and make it easier to clean around the blades. This is also good for cocktails which i don't drink but I'm sure it would mix up one nicely.
on January 19, 2014
I like using it to make simple fruit smoothies for breakfast -- typically a little almond milk, a banana, and a handful of frozen berries. For this it works fine. It doesn't blend greens or apple skins very finely -- you'll have some small flecks or pieces that escape the blade. The motor puts out a greasy/industrial sort of smell through the vents on the back of the base. This will hopefully lessen with time, but isn't very pleasant as I'm preparing something wholesome to drink. If I fill it up the pressure of the upward-blasting juice will sometimes seep through the lid -- this can at times get messy when I have to check what's inside to see if I've gotten it to the right consistency. Thankfully it's easy to just throw the whole cup in the dishwasher when I'm done. I give it 4 stars primarily based on value for the dollar and suitability to my particular purposes. In the greater context of blending devices it is quite weak. Don't kid yourself, a $20ish dollar blender won't be capable of pulling off any major feats. Still, it's recommendable if you imagine using it in a similar way and don't have or don't want to use a larger and more powerful device.
on March 5, 2014
...So, I got exactly what I expected.

It's good for mixing my raw meal in with OJ in the morning at work.
The steel container makes it look better so that all the clients at the office just assume I'm drinking coffee instead of green sludge.

It can blend a cut banana, orange pieces and probably an apple too.
I wouldn't trust it with leafy greens.
Does have that burning smell if you hold it down for too long... just don't do that and operate it with pulses.

Very easy to clean even if the blade is permanently attached to the cup.

For $20 you can't complain. If you have more money to spend, get a better one. The Magic Bullet System is pretty sweet.
on October 2, 2013
I've had their single serve blender with the plastic jar, this stainless steel jar is a nice upgrade. The plastic jar got scratched up by strawberry seeds etc. Stainless steel is what was used in the old 1950's restaurant milk shake machines and will easily out last the machine. This isn't your Mom's Huge 600w blender, it's a single serving smoothie blender. As a smoothie maker it does a wonderful job. First put in around 8oz of milk, juice, etc before adding your fruits, veggies and 'small' ice cubes.

Update - My first blender lasted 24 months before the blades got dull, not bad for daily use - (900+ smoothies) I bought another and would still give it 5 stars. It's to bad they don't sell the container separate since it wsa still running fine.
on February 22, 2015
I have been using this blender on a daily basis and like it! Get it in the stainless steel model One drawback....that button on the front that pulses it on and off can be easily pressed. The problem being, that IF you have the cover off and adding some contents and inadvertently hit the button....which is easily done....the contents will get all over you! The engineers who designed this should have made it safer by relocating the button or using a feature where you have to push it twice to actuate the device. Otherwise....it is a good blender for one shot protein or juice blended drinks. Buy it....you will use it often!