Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hamilton Beach 58148A Power Elite Multi-Function Blender
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

Style Name: Blender|Change

on January 18, 2013
I bought this blender primarily for protein and fruit smoothies, crushing ice, and grinding coffee.

Out of box experience was good, well packaged, simple. Tested it by using the Easyclean feature, and it worked like a champ. While it is noisy, it is quieter than I expected. Just don't expect to be listening to something on TV in another room if you are blending in the kitchen.

The Pros:
My first smoothie was done in seconds, no fuss, no muss. A cup of ice, two big scoops of protein powder, fresh strawberries not cut up, and 12 ounces water.

I put in the ice and strawberries first, and pulsed about 3 times on ice to get a very nice puree of ice slush and strawberry, only a few seconds each. It's got power to spare. Added the powder and water, hit smoothie, and about 15 seconds later I had very happy happy milk-shaky-like goodness to enjoy.

Cleanup and storage could not have been easier.

So it's a keeper.

The cons:
I can see how with so much plastic used, SOMETHING will give out over time and use. HB does not warrant glass breakage, but they say NOTHING about plastics, so if a lid or vent or base go, the 3 year warranty will be worth keeping track of.

Summary and impressions:
It suits my needs, it meets or exceeds expectations, and it was cheap. So cheap that if it dies after warranty, I won't blink and won't miss it.

So after browsing through HUNDREDS of reviews, personal blenders, and Ninja's and such, and nearly going for a Cuisinart personal blender, I figure this one takes up roughly the same amount of space, 700 watts beats 300 any old day, and certainly 185, and why mess around when I don't want to have to worry, I want to blend.

Very Worth While. If it had more sturdy and durable looking plastics, or they were some other non-bound-to-fail material, it would get 5 stars. For under $25.00 you can't beat it with a stick.

I hope this helps if you're reading this!
88 comments| 997 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2013
My older Hamilton Beach blender was dying. I did not like a previous Kitchen Aid blender I owned. The bottom of the line Oster I tried made a viciously ear piercing racket. In my dreams I own a Vitamix. Well..in the meantime I need something NOW. I looked at all the reviews of various strata and then said "just try this one" ..if it sucks well then it's a backup. Because if you are a morning smoothie addict like me you need a backup.

So it shows up. The base is taller than my old Hamilton Beach but the motor is more powerful (700 watts). I like that the buttons face forward and require a bit more of a positive force to engage. I think this is a good thing. You are less likely to accidentally hit them and spray chocolate soymilk or whatever your beverage thing is all over the kitchen by mistake.

This blender has "oomph" as they say. It fearlessly grinds large frozen blueberries to make a puffy aireated (bubbly) chocolate blueberry banana smoothy which is how I get through swallowing all my various vitamins including the "horse pills".

It has a real, high quality glass top. Some of the blenders in this price range don't - they instead use that crappy plastic that discolors and cracks.

They are honest about the buttons. No fancy schmancy: You get LOW, HIGH. PULSE LOW & PULSE HIGH. 4 buttons. I've never needed anything else. The springs on the pulse buttons and the size of the buttons provide a substantial tactile feedback. All those extra buttons - it's just frippery, added cost and more to go wrong. I want either to get started (low) or go all out (high). Why kid myself?

The motor base of the blender is mostly plastic but at this price who's complaining? The styling of the blender is not bad. It doesn't pretend to be something it's not but it's not hard to look at either.

It doesn't "walk" or jump about the counter - it stays put.

I have yet to make Hummous (or hummus) in this blender. Will report back if I have problems with that.

Complaints: I tried making Orange Juice and it got a bit messy. I strongly recommend just using 1 can of water and using Low. Then add the remaining 2 cans into your juice pitcher later. When you pour the blended OJ into the juice pitcher do it over a sink. This may have been user error. : ) I've only had this blender for 2 weeks now.

The blender will not accept my older Hamilton Beach glass blender top from the mid 1990's.

One design decision about the glass blender top on this unit that you may or may not like is ..the inner bottom area (near the blade) has a wider area around the blade..so it needs a bit more liquid (not a ton more) than I was used to with the old blender. Also, I don't know how this wider area around the blade will figure into making hummous. Again I will report back on that later. I have to wait until the hummous making mood strikes.

I do not make vegetable smoothies except for my cucumber tzatziki yogurt sauce on rare occasion. So I can't tell you whether this will blenderize celery or Kale.

All in all, for my specific purpose (soy & fruit smoothies) I am quite satisfied with this blender and feel I paid a fair price for it ($25.71) You could buy 12 of these for the price of a Vitamix and you can be using it NOW! You can always keep it as a backup or make it the vacation place blender.

UPDATE #2 3-30-2013: Still going strong. No hassles. I * did * make hummus (or hummous) recently and found that I had to make a double batch to get it started and get it all blended right - but that's not a big deal in my book. For smoothies the requirements for a good blend are much less demanding. I see some reviews complaining about the motor overheating, or a burning smell. I haven't experienced that. Maybe mine was made on a Wednesday? I just know it works great and continues to do so. Over and out! : )

P.P.S. If you look very carefully at the bottom of the glass blender top right where it tapers to meet the base, you'll see a sort of line in the glass that might "LOOK" like a scratch or break. It's not. It's some kind of little ridge left over from the forming or casting of the glass. I figured this out after much visual inspection as I was initially concerned about it.

Update: August 17th, 2013 Still going strong...

Update #3: Jan 29th, 2014 ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY! Still going strong...

Update #4 Jan 25th, 2015 TWO YEAR ANNIVERSARY! Still going strong...no issues

Update #5 March 17th, 2016 THREE YEAR ANNIVERSARY! Still going strong...no issues.
1010 comments| 515 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2012
This Hamilton Beach Blender is amazing! It looks great from the outside and works perfectly up till now. Its wave action blending definitely works well and blends better than other blenders that I have used in the past. The lid on this blender though is probably what I like the best about it. It avoid all spills and/or overflows while it is blending because it goes tightly over the blender and the top actually enables you to pour into something without even taking the lid off! This saves a lot of time and keeps other pitchers clean since your blender becomes the perfect pitcher! The chopper is simply an extra, but the extra works fantastic. I have made a lot of salsas and chopped tomato, onion, etc and it chops them to perfection. I really like this blender and therefore, I rate it 4 stars out of 5 stars!

I hope this review helped you out!

Update: I have been using this blender now for a long time and if still runs perfectly and works just like it did when I bought it. It's a fantastic blender for the price, I highly recommend it to everyone.

New rating : 5 stars out of 5 stars!
88 comments| 337 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 1, 2014
Yes, you can make a green smoothie with this. Put water in first. Then Kale, spinach, collards, 1 green apple bite sized chunks , 1 orange, 1 banana, oat meal, whole baby carrots and apple cider vinegar. People act like this thing won't blend but it will. If you put water in first and actually let it blend for 1 minute, that's it! Done! This is why you need to decide things for yourself. I'm glad I didn't buy a $500 blender. What is wrong with people? That is rent money and I just want to blend leaves and soft ass fruit.
33 comments| 140 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 2013
We purchased this blender after our old Oster died and our Magic Bullet bit the dust. I agonized over various blenders- all with different features- but mostly, it came down to, "What can I get with the best features and not break the bank?" ($400 for a blender just seems outrageous to me!)

Our Hamilton Beach 58149 Blender/Chopper arrived today and we opened it up and put it to use, right out of the box!

Likes:
-LOVE the easy-pour spout! This spout makes it easy to blend and then serve. No fuss, no muss.
-The easy-clean feature is a nice feature that helps loosen bits of food that can get caught in the blades.
-Our old Oster had a plastic pitcher and I hated it. It cracked easily and I didn't feel like it was very good quality. I love that this blender has a glass pitcher.

Dislikes:
-The hinged opening on the top of the blender is kind of small. This makes it difficult to add anything too big while the machine is in operation.
-Like other reviewers have commented, you do need to add more-than-you-think-you-need liquid in order to get a smooth, smoothie.
-I kind of wish that the chopper had a glass bowl, but it's not a deal breaker since I don't think I've ever seen a chopper with a glass bowl. I just believe that glass lasts longer than plastic.

Otherwise, we really like this machine and I'm please with the Hamilton Beach 58149 Blender and Chopper.
22 comments| 178 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2013
I bought this blender 2 weeks ago on sale for $19. I do believe it's worth that much. However, I probably wouldn't have spent any more than that on this particular model. I bought it to replace my Oster that recently burned out while I save for a Ninja or NutriBullet.

If all you are looking for is a means to blend a basic smoothie or a bisque (which is what I was looking for), this blender will get the job done. By 'basic smoothie' I mean: liquid with some frozen/fresh fruit, protein powder, etc. Raw/hard veggies will not blend well. I was a little disappointed that I could not get Kale to blend into my smoothies to a pleasant consistency. Be sure to put the stuff in and let it run for a bit. Don't be too quick to decide that you need to get in there and move stuff around with a spoon. Be patient.

A few people mentioned that its loud. It's actually quieter than my now dead Oster. It is no louder than any other blender I've used or seen used, even a Ninja.

All in all, for $19 I couldn't go wrong. But in my opinion, the wattage and the heavy glass jar are wasted on very cheap plastic parts and a blade that leaves much to be desired.
88 comments| 339 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 19, 2013
It's a versatile blender: I have crushed frozen veggies, fresh broccoli, fresh kale, pineapples, apples, oranges, and bananas in this thing with some juice/milk. The broccoli it tends to take longer to grind down and sometimes gets stuck. Initially, you'll still get the texture of the broccoli florets in your smoothie, but if you put the pitcher in the fridge for a while, the texture dissolves.

I've found usually the trick to make the blender go again with all that wave-action goodness is just to add more liquid so it has more to work with for churning.

Except for the broccoli, this has blended everything very quickly - 30 seconds to a minute. The broccoli takes 5-7 minutes (with checking and adding liquid and sometimes poking things around in the blender).

The blender has four settings, but it feels basically like two: heavy duty for ice/smoothies. More lightly for milkshakes and salsa. (the four settings are basically: pulse heavy duty (you have to hold the button down) , pulse lightly (hold button down), button for heavy duty (you press it and leave it), button for light (you press it and leave it).

For the average joe, the fact that there are two settings is not a problem. My sister has a really fancy high-end blender. It's much much noisier than this one (this one is okay, though I still like to wear earplugs while blending. It's tolerable without earplugs though,e specially when it blends so quickly.) I don't know if she's ever used it on any more than two settings (very light and very heavy duty).

The high-end blender takes a long time to crush thinks like broccoli + ice too, but it does it more finely. That is the only advantage I have found to the high-end blender over this one.

What I like about this one that the high-end blender doesn't satisfy however are:
- really wide container so it's so easy to clean, most things don't even get stuck in the blades
- the glass + pitcher shape are very classy and this blender is really designed for convenience - use the blender, use the container as a serving pitcher. I love just sticking left-over smoothie mix straight into the fridge after picking up the pitcher from the mixing base.
- the cap seals tightly and has a really nice spout for serving and also a flap if you want to stick something in last minute but don't want to lift the whole lid off, or need to poke a chopstick into the mixer to jog some things around.

One of my happiest first kitchen-ware buys!
11 comment| 179 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2013
I bought this blender from a retailer near my place after checking reviews online. This is a fantastic blender. It purees/blends frozen fruit or ice down really well and doesn't leave ANY lumps or chunks. It has a limited number of functions but it doesn't need anything more. I think that this is the best blender you can get for your money that looks good, works well, and is good quality.
0Comment| 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2013
I'm a meticulous sort. I check reviews, make comparisons, and try out as many items as I can before purchasing. I was in need of a blender, but did not want to spend a lot of money. I looked on eBay and in various stores, and eventually settled on this Hamilton Beach because of its 700 watts power, glass jar AND low price. It arrived, and I immediately put it to the test, and lo and behold, it is as good as Ninja! I put whole pieces of carrot, pepper, tomato and radishes, with a tiny bit of water (1/4 c) just to test its power, and it made a "smoothie" of sorts (it tasted terrible - I forgot the salt - but it was smooth!). That convinced me. If it can crush carrots, it can do anything! I'm a believer!
11 comment| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2013
I am quite satisfied with this blender/chopper. The performance-to-value ratio is tough to beat if you don't mind a straightforward blender with a minimum of frills. I've had many Hamilton Beach kitchen appliances and, like the others, this one not only looks great, but works well and didn't leave my pocketbook weeping. The "wave" action works extremely well - when it works - but I find the unique internal shape of the jar (which is made of good quality glass) sometimes restricts thicker/chunkier ingredients from reaching the blades effectively. A little "stop n' shake" action with the jar gets it going again, but it'd be nice to just push a button and know that the blender is going to pulverize everything consistently. The lid design works very well for pouring drinks and I have had no problems with the motor or blades when used to crush ice for smoothies, etc. A great performer in a great looking package at a great price from Amazon! A+
0Comment| 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse