Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite uncharted Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 4,461 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,823 reviews
on January 18, 2013
I bought this blender primarily for protein and fruit smoothies, crushing ice, and grinding coffee.

Out of box experience was good, well packaged, simple. Tested it by using the Easyclean feature, and it worked like a champ. While it is noisy, it is quieter than I expected. Just don't expect to be listening to something on TV in another room if you are blending in the kitchen.

The Pros:
My first smoothie was done in seconds, no fuss, no muss. A cup of ice, two big scoops of protein powder, fresh strawberries not cut up, and 12 ounces water.

I put in the ice and strawberries first, and pulsed about 3 times on ice to get a very nice puree of ice slush and strawberry, only a few seconds each. It's got power to spare. Added the powder and water, hit smoothie, and about 15 seconds later I had very happy happy milk-shaky-like goodness to enjoy.

Cleanup and storage could not have been easier.

So it's a keeper.

The cons:
I can see how with so much plastic used, SOMETHING will give out over time and use. HB does not warrant glass breakage, but they say NOTHING about plastics, so if a lid or vent or base go, the 3 year warranty will be worth keeping track of.

Summary and impressions:
It suits my needs, it meets or exceeds expectations, and it was cheap. So cheap that if it dies after warranty, I won't blink and won't miss it.

So after browsing through HUNDREDS of reviews, personal blenders, and Ninja's and such, and nearly going for a Cuisinart personal blender, I figure this one takes up roughly the same amount of space, 700 watts beats 300 any old day, and certainly 185, and why mess around when I don't want to have to worry, I want to blend.

Very Worth While. If it had more sturdy and durable looking plastics, or they were some other non-bound-to-fail material, it would get 5 stars. For under $25.00 you can't beat it with a stick.

I hope this helps if you're reading this!
88 comments| 1,413 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2013
My older Hamilton Beach blender was dying. I did not like a previous Kitchen Aid blender I owned. The bottom of the line Oster I tried made a viciously ear piercing racket. In my dreams I own a Vitamix. Well..in the meantime I need something NOW. I looked at all the reviews of various strata and then said "just try this one" ..if it sucks well then it's a backup. Because if you are a morning smoothie addict like me you need a backup.

So it shows up. The base is taller than my old Hamilton Beach but the motor is more powerful (700 watts). I like that the buttons face forward and require a bit more of a positive force to engage. I think this is a good thing. You are less likely to accidentally hit them and spray chocolate soymilk or whatever your beverage thing is all over the kitchen by mistake.

This blender has "oomph" as they say. It fearlessly grinds large frozen blueberries to make a puffy aireated (bubbly) chocolate blueberry banana smoothy which is how I get through swallowing all my various vitamins including the "horse pills".

It has a real, high quality glass top. Some of the blenders in this price range don't - they instead use that crappy plastic that discolors and cracks.

They are honest about the buttons. No fancy schmancy: You get LOW, HIGH. PULSE LOW & PULSE HIGH. 4 buttons. I've never needed anything else. The springs on the pulse buttons and the size of the buttons provide a substantial tactile feedback. All those extra buttons - it's just frippery, added cost and more to go wrong. I want either to get started (low) or go all out (high). Why kid myself?

The motor base of the blender is mostly plastic but at this price who's complaining? The styling of the blender is not bad. It doesn't pretend to be something it's not but it's not hard to look at either.

It doesn't "walk" or jump about the counter - it stays put.

I have yet to make Hummous (or hummus) in this blender. Will report back if I have problems with that.

Complaints: I tried making Orange Juice and it got a bit messy. I strongly recommend just using 1 can of water and using Low. Then add the remaining 2 cans into your juice pitcher later. When you pour the blended OJ into the juice pitcher do it over a sink. This may have been user error. : ) I've only had this blender for 2 weeks now.

The blender will not accept my older Hamilton Beach glass blender top from the mid 1990's.

One design decision about the glass blender top on this unit that you may or may not like is ..the inner bottom area (near the blade) has a wider area around the blade..so it needs a bit more liquid (not a ton more) than I was used to with the old blender. Also, I don't know how this wider area around the blade will figure into making hummous. Again I will report back on that later. I have to wait until the hummous making mood strikes.

I do not make vegetable smoothies except for my cucumber tzatziki yogurt sauce on rare occasion. So I can't tell you whether this will blenderize celery or Kale.

All in all, for my specific purpose (soy & fruit smoothies) I am quite satisfied with this blender and feel I paid a fair price for it ($25.71) You could buy 12 of these for the price of a Vitamix and you can be using it NOW! You can always keep it as a backup or make it the vacation place blender.

UPDATE #2 3-30-2013: Still going strong. No hassles. I * did * make hummus (or hummous) recently and found that I had to make a double batch to get it started and get it all blended right - but that's not a big deal in my book. For smoothies the requirements for a good blend are much less demanding. I see some reviews complaining about the motor overheating, or a burning smell. I haven't experienced that. Maybe mine was made on a Wednesday? I just know it works great and continues to do so. Over and out! : )

P.P.S. If you look very carefully at the bottom of the glass blender top right where it tapers to meet the base, you'll see a sort of line in the glass that might "LOOK" like a scratch or break. It's not. It's some kind of little ridge left over from the forming or casting of the glass. I figured this out after much visual inspection as I was initially concerned about it.

Update: August 17th, 2013 Still going strong...

Update #3: Jan 29th, 2014 ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY! Still going strong...

Update #4 Jan 25th, 2015 TWO YEAR ANNIVERSARY! Still going strong...no issues

Update #5 March 17th, 2016 THREE YEAR ANNIVERSARY! Still going strong...no issues.

Update #6 July 3rd, 2017 FOUR YEARS PLUS ANNIVERSARY! Still going strong...no issues.
1313 comments| 874 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2017
This blender was purchased to replace a Cuisinart that I bought at Costco that had all the bells and whistles and cost more than double. When it broke down after a few years worth of work (and that was my second), I decided that I would just get a good blender with nothing fancy. I got this and I love it. I use it to make pudding, puree split pea soup, and some drinks and it's really a good blender. It surprised me how much better it does the job than my Cuisinart! I love the pouring spout on top as sometimes it was messy pouring from the corner of my old one. I've owned this for a while now. I don't like reviews from folks that do it right out of the box. I like to use the product for a while to test it out. This one definitely passed.
on January 1, 2014
Yes, you can make a green smoothie with this. Put water in first. Then Kale, spinach, collards, 1 green apple bite sized chunks , 1 orange, 1 banana, oat meal, whole baby carrots and apple cider vinegar. People act like this thing won't blend but it will. If you put water in first and actually let it blend for 1 minute, that's it! Done! This is why you need to decide things for yourself. I'm glad I didn't buy a $500 blender. What is wrong with people? That is rent money and I just want to blend leaves and soft ass fruit.
55 comments| 350 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 17, 2016
I've been using a highly rated Oster blender but shaped like a tornado. Ridiculous design. I kept changing to specialized blades before realizing it didn't matter at all. The power and quality and 14 speeds are wasted when there's simply not enough room at the base. I had to stop repeatedly and stir things around.

My priority in a new purchase was a value blender with a wide base and designed to keep things moving. There's nothing more annoying in blender use than a loud motor trying to spin but nothing going on other than burning smell while wearing out the motor. That describes Oster. But I had a recent timeshare week in Virginia. The unit had a Hamilton Beach blender very similar to this one. It worked great with my typical breakfast shake. Unfortunately I forgot to write down the model number. But the look and features were the same. I took a shot on this Power Elite model, after careful study of reviews here and elsewhere. Hamilton Beach touts the so-called wave action, or whatever, in many of its designs. Mostly I think that's a crock, that the wide base enables traffic to keep moving. It's like more lanes on a freeway.

Regardless, after one usage I'm incredibly pleased. I didn't baby this at all. Instead of incremental input like with Oster I decided to dump everything in at once. It is a protein shake with roughly 9 ounces of liquid plus plenty of ice and also a bag of frozen fruit and green veggies. The blob of frozen spinach is what troubled Oster most.

Not this guy. I pushed the first button, one that said Milk Shake among other things, and the Hamilton Beach plowed smack through it. There were a few brief hesitations but I was never concerned I'd have to stop and stir. The variance between Friday with Oster and Saturday with Hamilton Beach was incredible. With Oster I was forever changing modes, along with Low or High, desperate to find anything that threatened to work.

Pouring was surprisingly simple and effective. From the looks of things I thought gobs would remain in the jar. Nope.

There are a few issues: This is a low priced model so many of the parts other than the jar are plastic, in contrast to my Oster and other blenders I've used. Instead of a manual there's more like a brief pamphlet. The lid is relatively difficult to snap on and also to remove. You have to identify the proper place to put your thumb to use. Also, the ability to store the cord in the bottom of the base is wildly overstated. In multiple tries couldn't get it to travel more than a half foot before stop and refusal.
on December 12, 2012
This Hamilton Beach Blender is amazing! It looks great from the outside and works perfectly up till now. Its wave action blending definitely works well and blends better than other blenders that I have used in the past. The lid on this blender though is probably what I like the best about it. It avoid all spills and/or overflows while it is blending because it goes tightly over the blender and the top actually enables you to pour into something without even taking the lid off! This saves a lot of time and keeps other pitchers clean since your blender becomes the perfect pitcher! The chopper is simply an extra, but the extra works fantastic. I have made a lot of salsas and chopped tomato, onion, etc and it chops them to perfection. I really like this blender and therefore, I rate it 4 stars out of 5 stars!

I hope this review helped you out!

Update: I have been using this blender now for a long time and if still runs perfectly and works just like it did when I bought it. It's a fantastic blender for the price, I highly recommend it to everyone.

New rating : 5 stars out of 5 stars!
88 comments| 401 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 22, 2016
Solid 4-Star blender in my opnion. Works better than my old Ninja; cotents moves down to the areas around blade. This is nothing fancy; it's a no frills blender. One solid star down because of cheap feeling plastic cover; they could have done a better job with lid. Lid fits tight, but over the jar and not inside which makes it a little ackward. The lid alos has an access hole thatvis really just a flap of plastic with small tabs that just don't look very resilient or durable over time. This a glass jar. Motor seems good and strong. Loud; but aren't all blenders? I've tried banana smoothies with ice and it blends well. I reconstitute dried chiles for enchilada and posole and it did a great job blending and liquefying. For a budget friendly blender that does a good job, this might work for you too.
on February 14, 2015
I needed to replace my sixteen year old blender after accidentally burning the plastic cover on the heating element of the dishwasher. At first I thought I would just replace the cover. However, I soon discovered that ordering a new cover would cost me around seventeen dollars for parts and shipping. So I checked out Amazon's prices to replace the whole blender. When I found this Hamilton Beach model for only $24.99, I thought this may be a better way to go. I found some of the negative reviews discouraging, but my sixteen year old blender was also a Hamilton Beach product and had performed very well. My old blender had cost me $29.99 at Sears in 1998 (I saved the receipt). It had 350 watts for power and this new one has 750 watts. Hmmm... I thought it might be too good a deal to be true, but as an Amazon Prime member I decided to give it a try

I have been using my new blender since it arrived last week. I couldn't possibly be more pleased with its performance.
I've used it daily for making smoothies by starting with 1 to 2 cups of liquid (I use kefir milk, which is quite frothy) and have added ingredients such as: chunks of fresh fruit, frozen fruits, chocolate chips, nuts, etc. Lastly I add some ice cubes and use the pulsar to crush the ice. It works great! Everything gets sucked down into the whirlpool (Wave blades) and gets blended up into a thickshake consistency. Yum!

Yes, the cover does fit tightly, which some reviewers complained about. I found the tight fit to be an advantage.I don't have to stand there holding down the cover as I did with my old blender, otherwise the ingredients might come whipping out all over the place.
I also have arthritis in my fingers and putting the cover on and off this blender has been no problem at all for me. The cover has two thick tabs, one on either side, to make pushing or pulling the cover on or off quite easy.

Furthermore, I have not noticed any strange odors when the blender is operating and it runs a bit quieter than my old blender.
Also, everything comes apart easily for cleaning.

For a basic kitchen blender, this product really "gets the job done!" I highly recommend it.
on September 29, 2014
Very compact, powerful, loud (which was fine) and very inexpensive. I wanted something inexpensive whose motor would not burn out on "high" after running for a few minutes. I ordered this specifically to make almond butter. It did an OK job, but you definitely need the grinder attachment (which although was plastic, is well made). Since this is NOT a large food processor with larger blades, you need to work in small batches (I think 3/4 cup is ideal) to get a creamy consistency. And you need patience. It takes a good 5-7 minutes to get it creamy and although it does try to "churn' the ingredients and pull the top of the mixture downward into the blades, you still need to periodically open it up to mix the contents from the sides so the blades can do their job. Adding a very little liquid (water, honey, oil, whatever...) greatly speeds up the process. I mean, if you truly want to make big batches of nut butters, buy a more expensive high powered (at least 700 watts) food processor or get it ground at the store.
For my purposes, this is great
on December 29, 2016
This blender holds up really well, even with viscous material like super frozen ice cream. The only issue I have with it, the lid doesn't pour so well. It leaks from the seal where the blender meets the lid when you pour. It has to be put on a specific way- the lid is shaped exactly like the blender so you have to line everything up- still drips. :P I make sure what I'm making is well mixed and just take the lid off and pour like that.
It's not overly loud, makes short work of blending drinks, is compact and easy to store. I like that the blender is glass, it's easy to clean. Doesn't hold odor or wear out over time like plastic blenders. It's a good deal for the price/value.