BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Hamilton Beach 67601A Big Mouth Juice Extractor, Black
Color: Black|Package Type: Frustration-Free Packaging|Change

on December 3, 2011
My wife and I have been using this juicer on a regular basis for a few months now, so we have good idea of what it can do. This is a good juicer for semi-regular use making quantities of a quart or less. We ask a lot of our juicer making four or five quarts at a time a couple of times a week. After about four months of regular use, we've noticed that the cutter/basket is getting a little dull, so we aren't getting as much juice from our produce, and it doesn't cut as quickly. The good news is that replacement baskets are only $12 on the Hamilton Beach website. This compares to around $50 to replace the Breville equivalent part. The bad news is that I just went to order a couple and they were out of stock, so I'm stuck with the dull one for now. For this reason I'm giving four stars instead of five. I may change that to three if they don't get the cutter/baskets back in stock soon. Update: The Hamilton Beach website now has them in stock. I ordered two and they were quickly delivered.

We've notice the following about using the unit: If you plan to do larger quantities, you might want to consider a more upscale unit. Depending on what you are juicing, you'll usually need to clean the cutter/basket to maintain efficiency after a quart or two. After that the screen tends to get clogged and you'll loose some juice into the pulp bin. Apples, cucumbers and the like do fine without clogging the screen, so I start with those. I'll do the carrots last since the pulp seals the little holes in the screen pretty quickly. Pineapple and ginger fibers seem to get caught in the cutting teeth, so I also do these at the end. The top also slowly fills up with pulp, and you'll need to clean it to keep going after a couple of quarts of juice making. Just pop the top and scoop it out (make sure the motor stops spinning before you remove the top); you can do a more thorough cleaning once you're done. Again, if you're just making a quart or two, none of this should be a problem.

Cleanup is fairly easy if you do it right after juicing. Most of the pulp rinses right off, but the cutter/basket takes a little scrubbing, and you want to be meticulous because once the pulp dries, it's really hard to remove.

Some folks have complained about the pulp in the juice. We actually enjoy the texture and prefer it this way. It seems like we're drinking something substantial. Just to be clear, it is still very much juice/liquid, it just contains some pulp too. We especially enjoy juicing a couple of beets into the mix for the flavor and the rich red color.

We make larger quantities of juice each time, because we don't have the time it takes to scrub and prepare the fruits and veggies every day, so we keep some in the fridge for the busy days. It's recommended that for maximum nutritional benefit you drink the juice right away, but it seems to keep and taste good for up to three days in the fridge. For folks that do daily juicing of smaller quantities, this unit should give good service at a very reasonable price.

Note: When I first plugged it in, I couldn't get it to turn on. After fooling around with it for a few minutes, I discovered that the top latch arms must be secured in very a specific way or it won't start. This is a safety measure to ensure that it won't start with the cutter/basket exposed. Now that I know what I'm doing it starts right up every time. Make absolutely sure that you have the top exactly in place before you send it back as DOA.
2323 comments| 1,331 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2012
I purchased this juicer after reading the book "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" in which they recommend very nice juicers ranging from $300-$400+. After checking Consumer Reports in which this Hamilton Beach juicer is one of their recommended buys, it seemed to be a no-brainer. This thing rocks! Leftover pulp is dry dry dry, I can't imagine any other juicer doing a better job of extracting all the juice. And it doesn't matter what it is - apples, oranges, cucumbers, carrots, leafy greens like spinach and kale, it makes juice of them all with ease. And clean up is a snap (and I HATE appliances that are not easy to clean, and usually end up not using them just so I don't have to clean them). This juicer comes with a handy little brush that gets in all the little spaces and cleans the filter with little to no effort. Very few pieces - just rinse the 4 pieces with hot water and brush clean the filter and that's it! Easy peasy.
The one reason I didn't give it a perfect 5 stars...
No container included to catch your juice, you must use your own receptacle which is a pain if you're making any more than one large coffee cups worth. You have to do multiple cups of multiple veggies and fruits and mix them all together in the end.
Couple cleaning tips: Spray the pulp container lightly with pam or non-stick spray lightly before using and the stuff will slide right out. And, after all juicing is done, put a small amount of hot water through the juicer - this makes the filter much easier to clean.
88 comments| 771 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 5, 2015
Like everything that I get from Amazon, I bought this Juicer on my own accord and nobody has paid me to give this review. The Long and short of it is that I love this Juicer.

The Hamilton Beach 67601A Big Mouth Juice Extractor arrived already assembled inside the box. All I did was remove the plastic and little cardboard pieces that protected the sides and certain parts of the unit. The box contained the Juicer, a Manual, and a cleaning brush. On page 4 of the Manual, it shows and lists the parts & features of the unit. This particular model does not come with a Juice Cup (at least mine didn't) (which is not a problem at all). So, once you receive your order, remember to check if you have everything you need to operate the Juicer.

I went ahead and washed the parts that can be washed, and wiped the rest that I couldn't wash. The Juicer is very easy to put together as it is to take apart (for cleaning).

The motor is very strong. I was able to feed into the chute fruits & vegetables with the Food Pusher with no problem. What really impressed me is the amount of juice it is able to extract from the produce. The juice was smooth, no tiny seeds or particles or remnants of the produce in the juice that came out of the Juice Spout--which is what I expect from a juicer. There's some fizz, but if you stir the juice, it easily incorporates.

The unit is very easy to clean. The cleaning brush that came with it was very useful when cleaning the Stainless Steel Micro-Mesh Strainer Basket; but you can also use an old toothbrush. I say this because an old toothbrush has softer bristles than the (free) cleaning brush that came with the Juicer. I used the cleaning brush today, but will use an old toothbrush moving forward. The washable parts of the unit can be cleaned very easily by running it under the faucet (that's what I did), and wiping the non-washable parts with a wet, soapy, paper towel to soften any sticky residue, then wiping it again with just a wet paper towel to remove the soap. The Manual states that the washable parts are dishwasher-safe, so you can do that, too, if you like.

I am attaching some photos to show the following: (1) that there are no broken parts; (2) that the unit came complete with all its parts and already assembled; (3) that it is easy to take-a-part and clean, and then easy to put back together; and (4) the first couple of juices I made from whatever I have in the fridge.

The pitcher contains 3/4 of a cantaloupe; and the large mason jar contains one regularly-sized Fuji apple and six large ripe strawberries. They were delicious! :-)

Update: I made a Banana & Strawberry juice, and found that while it did extract juice from the bananas, there was left-over pulp from the it. I think this juicer can be "pulp-y" if softer produce is used. I'll find out as I try-on recipes from the books that I got, and will let you guys know. At any rate, I still love it.

I hope this helps anybody who is in the market for an easy-to-use, easy-to-clean, strong/powerful juicer that extracts a lot of juices.
review image review image review image review image review image
11 comment| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 23, 2016
This particular model did not come with the cup but I love it. I will be using it every other day pretty much and this will do nicely. I tried a few items in the juicer like apples, grapes, oranges and carrots. The apples cannot fit whole as there is a slight bump in the hole that prevents the apple from going in but I just cut the apple in half, no big deal. Other than that it gets all the juice out. The only thing I would recommend is having a tall cup to collect the juice as it can spatter some as it comes out the chute. LOVE IT!!

Update...i have used this about 20 times for the past year and yesterday I tried to use it and it would not turn on...i will contact manufacturer and update u soon
on September 7, 2017
Came on time. Works great. Maybe I'm new to juicing but I wish it extracted more juice. I feel the pulpy stuff in the back is pretty moist and it's kinda wasteful.

Would recommend for first time users. I may upgrade to one that is more efficient and uses more of the produce if I can find one, I feel like I'd put in the veggies or fruit and they were spit out the back so fast with minimal juice.
on March 23, 2014
This was my first juicer and I didn't want to spend a lot in case juicing turned out not to be for me. I'm not sure if I don't juice more because of this product, or because juicing is expensive and time consuming. I'll go with the latter. Anyway, this is noisy and extremely difficult to clean. You have to clean the blades immediately otherwise the pulp dries on and two cycles through the dishwasher won't get it off. I just give it a rinse with hot water before I even drink my juice. As typical with centrifugal juicers, a couple of trips through may be needed to get the most juice, and it isn't great with leafy greens. There's also a lot of foam. That being said, the juice made is tasty and it's still better than not juicing at all.
on April 2, 2015
Arrived very quickly. Here's the problem: using cabbage, you put the cabbage in the shoot then push it down and the juice comes out fine. But after four times the CABBAGE GETS STUCK BETWEEN THE SHOOT AND THE PUSHER SO YOU HAVE TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO NOT ONLY PREVENT THAT, BUT HOW DO YOU PULL THE PUSHER BACK OUT? ITS JAMMED WITH CABBAGE (BETWEEN THE PUSHER AND THE WALLS OF THE SHOOT AND YOU HAVE TO BE A WEIGHTLIFTER TO PULL THE PUSHER BACK OUT!!) So now I have to find someone strong who wants to pull out the jammed pusher over and over again. How they avoided this with the more costly juicers I have no idea.
on May 25, 2017
This juicer does a great job! Some comments stated that there was a lot of moisture, or juice, left in the pulp. We really haven't found that to be the case. Of course some veggies and fruits have more juice, but overall the pulp is bone dry. It's very easy to clean, use the brush it comes with and it's a breeze. It's loud, but we expected that. For the price, you just can't go wrong!
on June 14, 2013
I read all the reviews and felt a bit discouraged; but I had already bought the product so I just bit my tongue and accept it that I had already bought the darn thing.

Well I had received my juicer just yesterday and immediately went straight to juicing...and, boy I am so glad I purchased this! It juiced efficiently, easy to take apart (once you figured out how to) and very easy to clean! with or without the plastic bag trick. Yes it was a bit loud, it sound a liiiiiitle bit like someone vacuuming the carpet, but it's not a big deal or THAT horrendously loud.

It juiced to death out of my kale. HOWEVER for some fruits and vegs, I feel like it doesn't 100% take out ALL the juice. The leftover product...was almost like a dry mash potato consistency, almost like "dry" pudding even, it's kind of moist, but I managed to fill up a lot more than a cupful! So I'm pretty content as a beginner juicer. If you're a HXC juicing manic, this may not be the product for you I guess.

Overall, I can dig it. :)
on August 5, 2013
So I recently re-watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, which is the best documentary you will ever watch. I decided to finally purchase a juicer and do a juice fast. I wanted the one he had in the documentary, but I noticed most juicers are fairly expensive, and I did not want to spend hundreds of dollars on a juicer. I found this Hamilton Beach one, read the reviews about how great it was and that is was a top contender on the consumer reports list, and decided that the price was very doable. I have had this for one day, and I am already tired of it! First of all, it is so incredibly loud that I am surprised the neighbors didn't think I was cutting down trees in my back yard! It is also very scary sounding, making me hesitant to put the veggies down the shoot. It says the chute is large enough to fit an apple, but that is definitely not true. A very small apple - yes but a normal size apple? NO. You have to cut it up first. Also, the blade is so fast, that when you put the veggies or fruits in, it starts to spit back out at you before you can push the plastic piece in to "guide" the veggies down. It also does not yield a large amount of juice. It gives you a fair amount, but after looking at the pulp, I know more juice could have been squeezed out. I have also noticed a burning smell coming from it when it is on, and I have only had it for ONE DAY!!! The juice also leaks out of the spout so if you actually wait for every drop to come out, it would take hours. The spout is also very low, making it difficult to get a larger cup underneath. Cleaning it takes a while but is fairly easy since you only have to quickly wash 4 parts and they come out easily. I am going to keep this until I save enough money to buy a more expensive one. I have been looking at the Jack LaLanne Power Juicer.