Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Color: Black|Package Type: Frustration-Free Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,912 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,188 reviews
on December 3, 2011
My wife and I have been using this juicer on a regular basis for a few months now, so we have good idea of what it can do. This is a good juicer for semi-regular use making quantities of a quart or less. We ask a lot of our juicer making four or five quarts at a time a couple of times a week. After about four months of regular use, we've noticed that the cutter/basket is getting a little dull, so we aren't getting as much juice from our produce, and it doesn't cut as quickly. The good news is that replacement baskets are only $12 on the Hamilton Beach website. This compares to around $50 to replace the Breville equivalent part. The bad news is that I just went to order a couple and they were out of stock, so I'm stuck with the dull one for now. For this reason I'm giving four stars instead of five. I may change that to three if they don't get the cutter/baskets back in stock soon. Update: The Hamilton Beach website now has them in stock. I ordered two and they were quickly delivered.

We've notice the following about using the unit: If you plan to do larger quantities, you might want to consider a more upscale unit. Depending on what you are juicing, you'll usually need to clean the cutter/basket to maintain efficiency after a quart or two. After that the screen tends to get clogged and you'll loose some juice into the pulp bin. Apples, cucumbers and the like do fine without clogging the screen, so I start with those. I'll do the carrots last since the pulp seals the little holes in the screen pretty quickly. Pineapple and ginger fibers seem to get caught in the cutting teeth, so I also do these at the end. The top also slowly fills up with pulp, and you'll need to clean it to keep going after a couple of quarts of juice making. Just pop the top and scoop it out (make sure the motor stops spinning before you remove the top); you can do a more thorough cleaning once you're done. Again, if you're just making a quart or two, none of this should be a problem.

Cleanup is fairly easy if you do it right after juicing. Most of the pulp rinses right off, but the cutter/basket takes a little scrubbing, and you want to be meticulous because once the pulp dries, it's really hard to remove.

Some folks have complained about the pulp in the juice. We actually enjoy the texture and prefer it this way. It seems like we're drinking something substantial. Just to be clear, it is still very much juice/liquid, it just contains some pulp too. We especially enjoy juicing a couple of beets into the mix for the flavor and the rich red color.

We make larger quantities of juice each time, because we don't have the time it takes to scrub and prepare the fruits and veggies every day, so we keep some in the fridge for the busy days. It's recommended that for maximum nutritional benefit you drink the juice right away, but it seems to keep and taste good for up to three days in the fridge. For folks that do daily juicing of smaller quantities, this unit should give good service at a very reasonable price.

Note: When I first plugged it in, I couldn't get it to turn on. After fooling around with it for a few minutes, I discovered that the top latch arms must be secured in very a specific way or it won't start. This is a safety measure to ensure that it won't start with the cutter/basket exposed. Now that I know what I'm doing it starts right up every time. Make absolutely sure that you have the top exactly in place before you send it back as DOA.
2323 comments| 1,265 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2012
I purchased this juicer after reading the book "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" in which they recommend very nice juicers ranging from $300-$400+. After checking Consumer Reports in which this Hamilton Beach juicer is one of their recommended buys, it seemed to be a no-brainer. This thing rocks! Leftover pulp is dry dry dry, I can't imagine any other juicer doing a better job of extracting all the juice. And it doesn't matter what it is - apples, oranges, cucumbers, carrots, leafy greens like spinach and kale, it makes juice of them all with ease. And clean up is a snap (and I HATE appliances that are not easy to clean, and usually end up not using them just so I don't have to clean them). This juicer comes with a handy little brush that gets in all the little spaces and cleans the filter with little to no effort. Very few pieces - just rinse the 4 pieces with hot water and brush clean the filter and that's it! Easy peasy.
The one reason I didn't give it a perfect 5 stars...
No container included to catch your juice, you must use your own receptacle which is a pain if you're making any more than one large coffee cups worth. You have to do multiple cups of multiple veggies and fruits and mix them all together in the end.
Couple cleaning tips: Spray the pulp container lightly with pam or non-stick spray lightly before using and the stuff will slide right out. And, after all juicing is done, put a small amount of hot water through the juicer - this makes the filter much easier to clean.
66 comments| 692 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 5, 2015
Like everything that I get from Amazon, I bought this Juicer on my own accord and nobody has paid me to give this review. The Long and short of it is that I love this Juicer.

The Hamilton Beach 67601A Big Mouth Juice Extractor arrived already assembled inside the box. All I did was remove the plastic and little cardboard pieces that protected the sides and certain parts of the unit. The box contained the Juicer, a Manual, and a cleaning brush. On page 4 of the Manual, it shows and lists the parts & features of the unit. This particular model does not come with a Juice Cup (at least mine didn't) (which is not a problem at all). So, once you receive your order, remember to check if you have everything you need to operate the Juicer.

I went ahead and washed the parts that can be washed, and wiped the rest that I couldn't wash. The Juicer is very easy to put together as it is to take apart (for cleaning).

The motor is very strong. I was able to feed into the chute fruits & vegetables with the Food Pusher with no problem. What really impressed me is the amount of juice it is able to extract from the produce. The juice was smooth, no tiny seeds or particles or remnants of the produce in the juice that came out of the Juice Spout--which is what I expect from a juicer. There's some fizz, but if you stir the juice, it easily incorporates.

The unit is very easy to clean. The cleaning brush that came with it was very useful when cleaning the Stainless Steel Micro-Mesh Strainer Basket; but you can also use an old toothbrush. I say this because an old toothbrush has softer bristles than the (free) cleaning brush that came with the Juicer. I used the cleaning brush today, but will use an old toothbrush moving forward. The washable parts of the unit can be cleaned very easily by running it under the faucet (that's what I did), and wiping the non-washable parts with a wet, soapy, paper towel to soften any sticky residue, then wiping it again with just a wet paper towel to remove the soap. The Manual states that the washable parts are dishwasher-safe, so you can do that, too, if you like.

I am attaching some photos to show the following: (1) that there are no broken parts; (2) that the unit came complete with all its parts and already assembled; (3) that it is easy to take-a-part and clean, and then easy to put back together; and (4) the first couple of juices I made from whatever I have in the fridge.

The pitcher contains 3/4 of a cantaloupe; and the large mason jar contains one regularly-sized Fuji apple and six large ripe strawberries. They were delicious! :-)

Update: I made a Banana & Strawberry juice, and found that while it did extract juice from the bananas, there was left-over pulp from the it. I think this juicer can be "pulp-y" if softer produce is used. I'll find out as I try-on recipes from the books that I got, and will let you guys know. At any rate, I still love it.

I hope this helps anybody who is in the market for an easy-to-use, easy-to-clean, strong/powerful juicer that extracts a lot of juices.
review image review image review image review image review image
11 comment| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 1, 2017
Easy to use - super easy to clean and makes juice in 1/4 of the time it takes me to make it in my vitamix. LOVE the hint in the instructions - just put a plastic grocery bag in the pulp collection bin and you barely have to clean it (if at all)! I use those mini garbage bags from the dollar tree. LOVE it!
on December 16, 2016
This juicer powered thru six baskets of oranges in one sitting without problems, it has a strong motor. This item does no come with a cup, you use your own and I have even used a bowel for large juicing for canning. You can place a plastic grocery bag or small trash liner in the large bin for easier clean up.
The collection bin does not "lock' to the base so at times I would have juice leaking out of the seal between the lid and base. Also when I juiced a lot of oranges and was placing multiple oranges in the neck at times seeds would shoot back out of the top.. The brush that comes with the juicer cleaned the blades very easily and was a great item to have and while scrubbing the blades the brush did not have any bristles come loose or stick to the blades/screen. Clean up is easy and all but the base is dishwasher safe. The mouth is wide and I was able to feed whole medium oranges and SMALL apples into the neck without having to cut them up. overall a good product.
on May 22, 2017
I like everything about this machine except something I'll get to in a minute. It's powerful, easy to use and easy to clean. I'm not super hip to juicers but I don't see the value in spending hundreds when you can get this performance for $50.

Here's what I don't like--and the reason for just 4 stars: I took delivery in March. In May, overnight, the machine quit working. One day it's perfect, the next, it's dead. I called Amonzon and learned it was outside the "return period," which is roughly 30 days. Amazon gave me Hamilton Beach's number so I called them and received excellent service. I provided the model and serial number and told the agent when I bought it. She instructed me to cut unplug the machine, cut the cord in half and email Hamilton Beach a pic of the machine with its severed cord. Done and a new machine is on its way to me for $9.99 shipping. I'm not thrilled to be out the extra dough but given my life-long experience with (generally bad) U.S. customer service, it's a better result than I expected. Hoping, of course, that the new unit survives longer than 2 months.
on May 24, 2017
The juicer work well on firm fruits and vegetables and trying to squeeze the pulp in the pulp container for any residual juice is good evidence that effectively, all the juice has been extracted from what was juiced. One lessons learned for extracting juice from ginger root is that it is far better to extract juice from fresh ginger root rather than freezing it, thawing it and juicing the thawed ginger root. From my experience anyway, once the ginger is frozen and thawed, the ginger root texture becomes soft and a lot more prone to clogging the strainer basket and for that I gave the rating 4 stars rather than 5. And before freezing the ginger root, I had individually wrapped each ginger root in aluminum foil before freezing. At least for this batch of ginger root, I learned that the best trouble-free results were attained by cutting each ginger root into small pieces.

There are 7 parts to this device that makes using it very labor intensive because after use, there are 7 parts that have to be cleaned, especially the strainer basket. One salient point about this product is that the cost of buying fresh juice justifies the labor expended.
on January 8, 2016
I have used this over a dozen times now since receiving it in early December. It works perfectly fine. This machine is used for mostly hard veggie and not for leafy greens or fruits. Definitely not for fruits. For leafy greens, I ordered the Omega 8003 horizontal slow juicer refurbished.

This creation will seem to last actually a lifetime, parts and motor. I only juice about 2 cups total at a time for one person. That's about all you need. And when I do turn it on, I don't leave it on. The key to longevity of this machine is shortness of the "on" button. I probably say that it's turned on LESS than 20 seconds total every time I use it.

I bought a refurbished one. I buy refurbished for all machines. Works perfectly fine, and I have no problem with that. Why spend more on a new one when you can get a used one for cheaper and that functions just as well? That's a no-brainer!

This machine works best for ginger, carrots, beets, cucumber, zucchini, and the likes. Remember, definitely not for fruits. Either eat your fruits or use a old fashion hand press juicer.

If you're looking to get started into juicing, I would buy this cheap one and the Omega 8003 or 8004 for leafy greens, especially wheat grass, and a old fashion hand press juicer for citrus fruits. That's it, as for a raw vegan starter.
on May 7, 2013
I don't eat enough veges and I wanted to start getting more nutrients so I figured this was the best alternative for me, to buy a juicer and juice fruits and veges every night. I know this isn't the best replacement and nothing will be better than eating the veges whole but I needed something convenient and simple. So I began my research into juicing and started researching all the types of juicers (brands, models, and types). Something to know about my purchase is that this is my first juicing/extracting machine and I wasn't looking for the very best but just something that was highly recommended and good enough for what I needed.

I read up on all the different brands and models and types, and I read a lot of different reviews for many juicers and ultimately I ended up choosing the HB BMPJE. I believe I purchased the juicer back in January 2013 and have used it "almost every" night since then. 4 months later I'm still using this juicer and have no complaints or issues with it at all. I was very happy and very satisfied with my purchase. Sadly, since this is my first ever juicer I can't compare it with anything else but this juicer did exactly what I read it would do and I didn't expect anything more. I'm sure the more expensive machines are "better" but as I mentioned, I just needed something to juice my veges and fruits at night and this does exactly that very well. This juicer is nominated by Consume Reports for being best value blender and also had tons of good reviews on it.

I usually blend 2 apples, 1/2 a cucumber, 2 carrots, and 2 celery sticks with the leaf. This easily blends 20oz+ of juice. There are many great veges and fruits to choose from for juicing but I mainly like this combo because they have a high amount of juice in them and water so it extracts a lot, and it comes out better tasting. I tried spinach, broccoli, and kale but it didn't extract that much, or as not nearly as much as these do. The main thing that I noticed once I started juicing was that my face cleared up A LOT. I don't have bad acne but I would get some here and there but ever since I started juicing I've noticed that it's helped so much and I rarely ever break out anymore.

Cleaning, maintenance, and assembly is simple and easy. I put in a grocery bag in the extract compartment so it makes cleaning easier. Honestly, I might get hate for this, but I simply just rinse the parts in hot water right after using the juicer (I do scrub the metal juice wheel thing with the brush every time), I'll only use and scrub with soap once a week.

Only 2 "issues" I would like to bring up with this juicer. 1.) The juicer can get loud but it's not ridiculously loud. 2.) The extract and pulp aren't fully dry, which means the juicer doesn't extract 100% of the juice but it still does the job and does it well. I recommend having patience and taking your time when you put the veges and fruits in, slow pressure will allow the most to extract rather than forcing it down the hole (giggles).

Do I see myself upgrading later on to a "better" juicer? No, this does exactly what it says and does what I need it to do well. I highly recommend this to anyone starting off or replacing another juicer. Only gave it a 4/5 because I have nothing else to compare it to.

Hope this helped.

***Update as of 12/23/13
The juicer still works properly with no leaks but it has gotten significantly louder, more high pitched. I'm not sure why but I have to put a little extra pressure on the top side to keep the sound from being noticeable.
on April 24, 2017
This is my first juicer I've ever purchased. I love it. After using it just one time, I'm hooked. It easily juices kale, carrots, apples, beets, oranges, bananas, EVERYTHING! It just makes it so easy. It does take about 10 minutes to clean after use, but it is so worth it. I would definitely recommend purchasing this juicer to everyone. My juicer did not come with the cleaning brush like it was suppose to, however that isn't a problem for me. If you're on the fence, I hope this review helps you make up your mind. Get it! You won't be disappointed.