Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by us the duo STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Hamilton Beach 67601A Big Mouth Juice Extractor, Black
Color: Black|Package Type: Frustration-Free Packaging|Change

on December 3, 2011
My wife and I have been using this juicer on a regular basis for a few months now, so we have good idea of what it can do. This is a good juicer for semi-regular use making quantities of a quart or less. We ask a lot of our juicer making four or five quarts at a time a couple of times a week. After about four months of regular use, we've noticed that the cutter/basket is getting a little dull, so we aren't getting as much juice from our produce, and it doesn't cut as quickly. The good news is that replacement baskets are only $12 on the Hamilton Beach website. This compares to around $50 to replace the Breville equivalent part. The bad news is that I just went to order a couple and they were out of stock, so I'm stuck with the dull one for now. For this reason I'm giving four stars instead of five. I may change that to three if they don't get the cutter/baskets back in stock soon. Update: The Hamilton Beach website now has them in stock. I ordered two and they were quickly delivered.

We've notice the following about using the unit: If you plan to do larger quantities, you might want to consider a more upscale unit. Depending on what you are juicing, you'll usually need to clean the cutter/basket to maintain efficiency after a quart or two. After that the screen tends to get clogged and you'll loose some juice into the pulp bin. Apples, cucumbers and the like do fine without clogging the screen, so I start with those. I'll do the carrots last since the pulp seals the little holes in the screen pretty quickly. Pineapple and ginger fibers seem to get caught in the cutting teeth, so I also do these at the end. The top also slowly fills up with pulp, and you'll need to clean it to keep going after a couple of quarts of juice making. Just pop the top and scoop it out (make sure the motor stops spinning before you remove the top); you can do a more thorough cleaning once you're done. Again, if you're just making a quart or two, none of this should be a problem.

Cleanup is fairly easy if you do it right after juicing. Most of the pulp rinses right off, but the cutter/basket takes a little scrubbing, and you want to be meticulous because once the pulp dries, it's really hard to remove.

Some folks have complained about the pulp in the juice. We actually enjoy the texture and prefer it this way. It seems like we're drinking something substantial. Just to be clear, it is still very much juice/liquid, it just contains some pulp too. We especially enjoy juicing a couple of beets into the mix for the flavor and the rich red color.

We make larger quantities of juice each time, because we don't have the time it takes to scrub and prepare the fruits and veggies every day, so we keep some in the fridge for the busy days. It's recommended that for maximum nutritional benefit you drink the juice right away, but it seems to keep and taste good for up to three days in the fridge. For folks that do daily juicing of smaller quantities, this unit should give good service at a very reasonable price.

Note: When I first plugged it in, I couldn't get it to turn on. After fooling around with it for a few minutes, I discovered that the top latch arms must be secured in very a specific way or it won't start. This is a safety measure to ensure that it won't start with the cutter/basket exposed. Now that I know what I'm doing it starts right up every time. Make absolutely sure that you have the top exactly in place before you send it back as DOA.
1,348 helpful votes
1,349 helpful votes
2323 comments|Report abuse
on April 11, 2012
I purchased this juicer after reading the book "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" in which they recommend very nice juicers ranging from $300-$400+. After checking Consumer Reports in which this Hamilton Beach juicer is one of their recommended buys, it seemed to be a no-brainer. This thing rocks! Leftover pulp is dry dry dry, I can't imagine any other juicer doing a better job of extracting all the juice. And it doesn't matter what it is - apples, oranges, cucumbers, carrots, leafy greens like spinach and kale, it makes juice of them all with ease. And clean up is a snap (and I HATE appliances that are not easy to clean, and usually end up not using them just so I don't have to clean them). This juicer comes with a handy little brush that gets in all the little spaces and cleans the filter with little to no effort. Very few pieces - just rinse the 4 pieces with hot water and brush clean the filter and that's it! Easy peasy.
The one reason I didn't give it a perfect 5 stars...
No container included to catch your juice, you must use your own receptacle which is a pain if you're making any more than one large coffee cups worth. You have to do multiple cups of multiple veggies and fruits and mix them all together in the end.
Couple cleaning tips: Spray the pulp container lightly with pam or non-stick spray lightly before using and the stuff will slide right out. And, after all juicing is done, put a small amount of hot water through the juicer - this makes the filter much easier to clean.
787 helpful votes
788 helpful votes
88 comments|Report abuse
on July 5, 2015
Like everything that I get from Amazon, I bought this Juicer on my own accord and nobody has paid me to give this review. The Long and short of it is that I love this Juicer.

The Hamilton Beach 67601A Big Mouth Juice Extractor arrived already assembled inside the box. All I did was remove the plastic and little cardboard pieces that protected the sides and certain parts of the unit. The box contained the Juicer, a Manual, and a cleaning brush. On page 4 of the Manual, it shows and lists the parts & features of the unit. This particular model does not come with a Juice Cup (at least mine didn't) (which is not a problem at all). So, once you receive your order, remember to check if you have everything you need to operate the Juicer.

I went ahead and washed the parts that can be washed, and wiped the rest that I couldn't wash. The Juicer is very easy to put together as it is to take apart (for cleaning).

The motor is very strong. I was able to feed into the chute fruits & vegetables with the Food Pusher with no problem. What really impressed me is the amount of juice it is able to extract from the produce. The juice was smooth, no tiny seeds or particles or remnants of the produce in the juice that came out of the Juice Spout--which is what I expect from a juicer. There's some fizz, but if you stir the juice, it easily incorporates.

The unit is very easy to clean. The cleaning brush that came with it was very useful when cleaning the Stainless Steel Micro-Mesh Strainer Basket; but you can also use an old toothbrush. I say this because an old toothbrush has softer bristles than the (free) cleaning brush that came with the Juicer. I used the cleaning brush today, but will use an old toothbrush moving forward. The washable parts of the unit can be cleaned very easily by running it under the faucet (that's what I did), and wiping the non-washable parts with a wet, soapy, paper towel to soften any sticky residue, then wiping it again with just a wet paper towel to remove the soap. The Manual states that the washable parts are dishwasher-safe, so you can do that, too, if you like.

I am attaching some photos to show the following: (1) that there are no broken parts; (2) that the unit came complete with all its parts and already assembled; (3) that it is easy to take-a-part and clean, and then easy to put back together; and (4) the first couple of juices I made from whatever I have in the fridge.

The pitcher contains 3/4 of a cantaloupe; and the large mason jar contains one regularly-sized Fuji apple and six large ripe strawberries. They were delicious! :-)

Update: I made a Banana & Strawberry juice, and found that while it did extract juice from the bananas, there was left-over pulp from the it. I think this juicer can be "pulp-y" if softer produce is used. I'll find out as I try-on recipes from the books that I got, and will let you guys know. At any rate, I still love it.

I hope this helps anybody who is in the market for an easy-to-use, easy-to-clean, strong/powerful juicer that extracts a lot of juices.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
128 helpful votes
129 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on November 16, 2017
I am amazed how well this juicer juices. I had originally ordered this here on Amazon but found that someone local was selling theirs for twenty bucks (and barely used). Yesterday morning, I stopped at a grocery store and bought two bottles of veg/fruit juice on sale for 2/$6. Yikes! I picked up my juicer in the afternoon. Today at lunch, I whipped up a carrot, apple, blueberry, and grape beverage. It was really good! Granted, there was more fruit than vegetable. I am not a vegetable eater. But I'm hoping to get some of the nutrients from drinking it.

I had read somewhere that a person should take the pulp and run it through the juicer again to get more juice. I tried that but very little juice came out, like a teaspoon, so I think that the juicer works great to get it all.

It is kind of noisy, but I expected that considering what it is doing. Clean up was fairly easy. I tried using my dish brush, but its bristles were too soft. The brush that comes with this has very hard bristles and works much better when cleaning the screen. I just rinsed everything else off.
on November 13, 2017
It lasted 7 weeks. Then one morning I went to use it and it was fully and entirely dead. I called the manufacturer, they charged me $11.49 to send a replacement even though it is under warranty. I had to take a chance to throw more money into this garbage instead of shopping for a better quality one for now.

While it lasted it was easy to clean but the pulp was wet, it has an awful design that makes a huge mess. I didn't like it at all from the beginning but was going to use as long as it worked... that didn't last long. TERRIBLE!
on May 23, 2016
This particular model did not come with the cup but I love it. I will be using it every other day pretty much and this will do nicely. I tried a few items in the juicer like apples, grapes, oranges and carrots. The apples cannot fit whole as there is a slight bump in the hole that prevents the apple from going in but I just cut the apple in half, no big deal. Other than that it gets all the juice out. The only thing I would recommend is having a tall cup to collect the juice as it can spatter some as it comes out the chute. LOVE IT!!

Update...i have used this about 20 times for the past year and yesterday I tried to use it and it would not turn on...i will contact manufacturer and update u soon
on June 14, 2013
I read all the reviews and felt a bit discouraged; but I had already bought the product so I just bit my tongue and accept it that I had already bought the darn thing.

Well I had received my juicer just yesterday and immediately went straight to juicing...and, boy I am so glad I purchased this! It juiced efficiently, easy to take apart (once you figured out how to) and very easy to clean! with or without the plastic bag trick. Yes it was a bit loud, it sound a liiiiiitle bit like someone vacuuming the carpet, but it's not a big deal or THAT horrendously loud.

It juiced to death out of my kale. HOWEVER for some fruits and vegs, I feel like it doesn't 100% take out ALL the juice. The leftover product...was almost like a dry mash potato consistency, almost like "dry" pudding even, it's kind of moist, but I managed to fill up a lot more than a cupful! So I'm pretty content as a beginner juicer. If you're a HXC juicing manic, this may not be the product for you I guess.

Overall, I can dig it. :)
2 helpful votes
on November 2, 2016
Good, but just don't get used. This is cheap enough as it already is. When I opened it up I got a nice breath of dust. It could have easily been cleaned, at minimum just wipe it off with a paper towel with or without water - maybe even add some soap? I'd expect an item that's advertised as close to "like new" or "good" to not be covered in dust.

Anyways, the product juiced fine for about 2 weeks occasional use until it broke. The malfunction was pretty weird. It was juicing about the amount of half a carrot, then it rumbled loudly/way louder than it already is, it was slightly working (except it released pulp in the juice) before the vibrations made it bounce behind the cup making a huge mess.

I believe this is a good product, but I urge you to just get it new. It's cheap enough as it is. There's a reason why the used models are in the $20s.

I am looking into better centrifugal juicers in a higher price range once I'm able to save up enough money. Any suggestions?
11 comment|Report abuse
With 1500 reviews it is impossible to say something new . Worked well , still going to buy a nutria bullet for the soft stuff . Metal tabs on this one are better then plastic on other Hamilton Beach Juicers . Does hard fruits and vegies very well . Soft not so great but ok . Bag in pulp bin makes it easy to clean . Blade and screen not too bad to clean as it comes with a brush or I use my own bottle brush under running water . I am very glad I did not spend more this is great and left enough in my budget for a Nutri bullet 900 too . Together they are fantastic for making healthy drinks and foods . Very pleased well worth trying for a introduction to juicing while you learn .

Update well here is something new . I saw many people had trouble removing the blade assembly . I have a flat blade screw driver about 8 inches long . I put it under the lip and turn it so that the flat part then gently raises the blade cup so I can remove it to clean . I just keep it next to the juicer and work it around until my fingers can lift out the blade assembly . Works great . I saw they have a tab on the brush too . I am surprised how easily that screen cleans up under streaming water with the brush . I juice a full plate of vegtables and fruits , clean up the machine and put everything away in less then 15 minutes . Feel great . This machine is very easy to care for , the hardest part is removing the screen and blades gently and I just told you a great way to do it .

I am currently using Kale , Apple , carrot, cucumber , seedless grapes , tomato, celery , blueberry , pear , peach , and cherry . It costs about $7 a day to make enough to fill the machines juice container with this mix with how I add them in . Blueberry's are very expensive so I only use a few to stay in budget .Still looking for ginger root to add to my concoction .
2 helpful votes
3 helpful votes
on March 19, 2014
OMG. I just received my juicer today and from reading all the reviews i was expecting to have to wear earplugs to use the thing as well as doing some serious cleaning post juicing. Well it isn't silent but its not amy louder than my Vitamix really. As far as clean up I had a soapy bowl of warm water in my sink to toss all parts in and I didn't even need to do that. A scrub under running water post juicing left parts as clean as new!! I don't know what I was expecting. It is awesome. While i was waiting for it I watched Fat Sick and nearly dead on Netflix and now I think I may go on a juice fast.
66 helpful votes