Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hamilton Beach 80365 Custom Grind Hands-Free Coffee Grinder, Platinum
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

on April 11, 2007
I too read all the reviews... I spent several hours, so let me save you the trouble. This item is sturdy, washable, compact, and grinds beans for anywhere from 4-12 cups of coffee.

I use it for both my 2 cup french press and my percolator, when my mill & brew coffee maker, which I have two carafs and 3 baskets for, is busy. We really get into coffee here - I must have 10 varieties of beans in the freezer.

It also did a fabulous job grinding hazelnuts very fine for a cookie dough where the hazelnuts were, in effect, part of the flour.

I do love that the grinder basket and top can go in the dishwasher, and the little brush that is stowed on the back is a thoughtful and utilized addition.

The only drawback would be that if you are only making 2 cups of coffee and you want a course grind, you have to let the machine think you're making 8 cups, by moving the cup setting, as this machine is intended to grind beans for a minimum of 4 cups. When I make enough coffee for my percolator, I can get an intermediate course grind with no problem.

What sold me was this: After I read all the reviews I went to my local "megamart," found the grinders, opened up the boxes of the makes I wanted to compare, and I literally took things apart and put them back together.

Like another reviewer warned, stay away from those other grinders with the tiny (you can barely see them) plastic pins that engage the start button. Once those bits of plastic break off, you're SOL.

This is a very reasonably priced maker which I've had for 6 months. I love it so much, that for much of that time I've felt just a bit guilty that I hadn't yet praised this maker on Amazon. With that done - it's time to grind some beans. :) Enjoy.

PS: It looks very pretty/handsome on the counter.
1919 comments| 1,246 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 26, 2011
I have this grinder in three different houses and have really enjoyed it. It DOES stop working after a while. After reading the reviews on this problem, I found the safety switch. Blew on it with some compressed air in a can while moving the safety switch with a toothpick. Voila! It immediately started working again just like new. I hope this helps.
1515 comments| 310 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2007
This is the best coffee grinder I have purchased (it is my 3rd over the past 10 years). This one is the best for multiple reasons 1) I dont have to continue to hold the button while it grinds, I hit the button once and it grinds and stops when the coffee is perfectly ground. 2) It has a deep container for holding the ground beans. Before I could only grind a small amount and than when I removed the lid it would be messy. 3) It has several different grinds to choose from all the way to a very fine espresso 4) It is styling and has a great hide away area for the cord.

What else is there? It is perfect.
0Comment| 364 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 11, 2011
This is my first hands-free coffee grinder. I had it about 2 yrs and liked it pretty well. It mysteriously stopped working a week ago as in other reviews. Instead of pitching it, I decided to pull it apart to learn why it died. Upon inspection, there's a switch that is activated by locking down the lid. The contacts are not sealed and had a coffee residue preventing conduction. All it takes is a quick scrape and it worked good as new. As for disassembly/reassembly, the biggest obstacle is the triangle-head screw in the bottom (I used a flat blade bit that just fit in one side). The other trick is placing the cleaned-up switch in the space on the outer housing before sliding everything back together. The whole job will take about 30 minutes so you'll have to decide if it's worthwhile. I should also mention that I fully expect this to happen again in a year or so. Good luck. This is the Achilles' Heel of an other wise great product.
1010 comments| 367 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 30, 2009
I have a French Press. It needs a coarse grind but when I set the grinder I get a crazily coarse grind. I shake, letting the contents settle/adjust. I try again (n.b. on highest setting and coarsest setting) and lo and behold! still not ground. I dump out the beans. Investigating, I find that the beans are caught between the cup and tip of each blade. This apparently is enough to force me to go through many cycles of full-on grinding in order to get my grounds.
So I think, hmmm interesting, flukey. I empty the cup and free the beans (be sure to unplug...quite scary) and messily re-introduce the semi-ground grounds to the cup. Re-starting the grinder I wait and watch. Same thing. Not a fluke. I go through this 5 or 6 times. Design flaw? My particular beans?

In short, everything else about this is great. Handsome, nice setting, sturdy build, smart hands-off design. Sadly, it is wholly unworkable. I am not over-filling or tamping down the whole beans. It just plain gets stuck. Often!

when they fix this issue and make a new model I will try again as the reviews/features and other highlights are enough to make it worth a second go. Final Verdict: Great design, fatal flaw.

PS the little brush is poorly designed to snap into rear of grinder. Easy to lose, especially in it's open packaging-style retail box.
on December 7, 2009
For complaints about the grind consistency... This is a blade grinder and blade grinders will NEVER create an extremely consistent grind throughout. If you want a consistent grind, spend the money and get a burr grinder. But after reviewing all of the burr grinders out there, you may end up with similar problems. The burr grinder I just ordered was $150... so for $125 do you want your grind that consistent? I do, but you may not.

After a few uses you will learn the grind & cup setting for making your coffee. The two different settings are wonderful.

This model can be extremely clean and looks good enough to leave out on your counter.

I have had this for almost 2 years, making a pot of coffee 5+ times a week with no problems.

Would definetly buy again if I wanted a BLADE grinder.
11 comment| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 2, 2015
Loved it till tonight when I discovered a major safety issue. The grinder started and accidentally tipped over on the counter. The lid popped off and to my surprise the blade just kept spinning and shooting coffee beans everywhere. I could not reach the outlet to unplug it and I was afraid to grab it, so I had to wait for its cycle to finish.
review image
22 comments| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 2015
At the time of writing this review I have had and used this grinder for one month. We use it only for coffee beans. We use it daily. Usually only at the 8 cup capacity (we love dark coffee) but have "maxed" out the capacity several times when making a large pot. Previously we had used a smaller Hamilton Beach grinder that we had gotten from Target. We hadn't used it very long when the blade detached from the motor and no longer ground the coffee beans. Because of that I wasn't sure about getting the same brand but because it wasn't the same model and it wasn't excessively expensive for the little appliance that it is we decided to get Hamilton Beach again.
As you can see in the photo there is quite the difference between our old broken hamilton beach and the new one.
So far I have no complaints. It does "travel" around the counter a little bit because of the impressive motor packed in this lil' guy but I think its cute. (Which we knew based on other reviews before we bought.) I like that I don't have to guess how long to keep it running. Because it has both grind texture (french press vs espresso) and how many beans are in there you can fiddle with both to get what you want.
on February 25, 2007
I bought this as a gift for my husband-after reading a hundred reviews, I made my choice. This little machine doesn't do anything fancy- it grinds beans-we haven't used it for anything else since we bought it to grind beans. It does a great job-it's easily put together, nothing spills, it's easily used-not much else to say.
0Comment| 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 9, 2015
We bought one years ago and used it only occasionally. In the last couple of years I have used it nightly to fine grind my beans for a fourteen cup of espresso. I really like the settings on this one and the ease of using it. The one I have is starting to get louder, because bearings are going bad. I went shopping today looking at all the different models but could not find a Hamilton Beach Custom Grind. I came home empty handed and now I'm buying one on line. I got my moneys worth many times over with my old one and will use it until it dies, then I'll pull out my new one.