Beauty Summer Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on January 16, 2015
Very convenient since the kettle is wireless. Boils pretty fast even if it's almost full of water(about 3mins). It shuts off automatically when boiled to max. Before the switch shuts off automatically, you can still see if water is boiled through the measuring transparent area.
I think it's cool that the wire is not attached directly to the kettle, so if it did tilt over sideways by accident it would shut off automatically.
Great product and bigger than expected.

Edited 4/12/15
(check photo)
I have been using this almost everyday to boil water for my coffee. I always just rinse it out with water after usage.
I just realized looking inside where the metallic coils are. It has rust on the coils already. I had this for couple months only.
I can't get the rust out and have to throw it away now unless I just use it with the rust.
Besides the rust, this kettle boils pretty fast but still useless now.
Hope this update helps others.
review image
70 people found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
on January 20, 2017
I've had this too easy teapot for three years and Iove it. It boils fast and holds a lot of water. I'm on my second one now, since I did break the first.

It's pretty sturdy, but do avoid dropping it!

Water doesn't/never tasted plasticy.
9 people found this helpful
on February 25, 2016
We have had this electric hot water kettle for a couple years now. It holds a good amount of water so you can fill 4-5 large mugs with hot water at a time. The top.opens all thecway and has a large opening to fill it with water. Also it has a lever you lift to open the top. A lit of kettles have a push button that wears out and gets harder to open the more its used. We drink hot tea all day long and use it for bottles for twins, so it is in use ALL the time. It has held up and we have had no issues over the years. Previoulsy we had a different brand that stopped working after a year. We are so happy this one is going strong! The only con is that it is not really fast at heating the water. It takes several minutes. It doesn't matter for tea, but if your using it for bottles for crying babies, a couple minutes can seem like forever. We still live it and most pleased that it is still working like its brand new. I highly recommend this product!
review imagereview image
15 people found this helpful
on December 20, 2014
Far from the fanciest, but it does the job.
We've gone through a few of the more expensive versions from other manufacturers. Two had lids that opened via push button. Both opening mechanisms eventually broke.
We had an all-stainless Cuisinart kettle. We started smelling that awful burnt-plastic odor when in use. I took the base apart and found charred insulation and melted plastic. This is after months (not years) of ordinary household use.
This Hamilton Beach is a replacement for that Cuisinart.
It's a little slower to boil water than some of the others, being only 1500 Watt rather than 1750. But not enough slower to make a real difference.
The included instructions said to boil three pots of water, discarding each, before first use. Having done this, we've experienced no odor problems whatsoever.
My one gripe - I consider it important enough to deduct a star - is the uselessly short cord. It's a bit under two feet. If I'm too incompetent to be trusted with a 3 foot cord, I'm certainly too incompetent to be around boiling water.
4 people found this helpful
on December 12, 2014
Ok, so it is made out of cheap plastic but I didn't buy it for looks, so meh. There is a metal (stainless?) heating element in the bottom and I have read some reviews that talk about rust but I figure if you keep the lid open the water dries out before any rust appears. Plus rust, iron oxide, is fairly harmless in batches of less than say a pound, so not a lot of worries there.

In the open position the lid tends to lean forward and shuts at small provocations, but not a big enough problem...just keep your fingers out of the way.

Fits down on a handy base and disconnects easily at pouring time.

And (here is the best part) it easily takes more than the recommended 1.8 liters without muss or fuss...no bubble over.

Easily worth every penny.
4 people found this helpful
on May 13, 2014
This is the 3rd teakettle we purchased. My wife is British, so we boil water twice a day for tea, once a day to warm the food container for the kids, and once a day in the evening to fill her hot water bottle, so that's a minimum of 4 times per day. The first one I bought at Macy's was $80 and was OK, lasted for over 5 years. The next one was a Brentwood for $31.95 (1.5 L) from Amazon which I bought in Sept 2012 and died 15 months later. I decided to not waste more money and bought the rock bottom cheapest tea kettle on all of Amazon in Jan 2014, and that was the Hamilton Beach K6080 for only $13 (and free shipping). After 5 months of continuous use I have to say this is by far the best tea kettle that we have had for the following reasons: 1) It's the CHEAPEST out there, (2) it is the FASTEST at doing its job by far. The stove doesn't even come close. The fancy kettles we had before this one hide the heating element, which you can't see anyway, and the laws of physics tell you that when you hide the heating element, there's less direct contact between heat and water for exchange to occur, so it takes a lot longer, (3) it's the QUIETEST one, the fancy ones are lot noisier, again, I assume because they don't have the exposed heating element, (4) it is nicest LOOKING one, (5) It has all the FEATURES of the expensive ones (automatic shutoff, cordless, on/off light), the cord is attached to the base just like every otherone out there, (6) EASY to clean, it doesn't get any of the hardness I found on the other ones, not sure why, I do make the effort to poor out the remaining water and rinse with fresh water each time, but its super easy to get rid of the white material using vinegar and they even provide a cleaning solution (which after 5 months, I have not yet needed to do), (7) LARGEST capacity at 1.8L is noticeably bigger than the more expensive ones I've had in the past, and (8) so far, its the most SOLIDLY built one, a real workhorse, despite being very light.

The only potential concern is the water inside directly contacts the plastic. If you stick your nose into the kettle after it has stopped boiling, yes, the vapors smell a little bit plastic. But, if you transfer that same water to a mug, and sniff again, you don't notice any smell at all, so I can only presume that the smell is not from something leaching into the water. I don't notice any impact on taste either. You cannot smell it otherwise, you have to really stick your nose in the kettle. Also, after 4 months of use, the smell has gone away even if you try to search it out. So, in a nutshell, it has all positives, no negatives, even if it was $100 it would be the best one out there, but it is not $100, it's the cheapest one.
on May 11, 2018
I purchased one of these kettles in May 2017. By August it wouldn't turn on; it seemed like a problem with the connection between the kettle and the base. We fiddled with it a bit & would get it to work sometimes, but then that didn't work.

We re-ordered one in August 2017 thinking maybe we just had a defective one. Now, 9 months later, the new one is no longer working.

There is something defective about the design & how the copper connections fit together. Maybe the copper pieces bend after awhile?

It was a great kettle when it worked, but we won't be buying another
|11 comment|Report abuse
on September 11, 2015
Not super long lasting but okay for the price. I think mine lasted a little over a year but I had hoped it would last about 2 years. I didn't expect it to be very high quality and just wanted something that would boil and automatically stop. The unit did exactly that for the year or so that it lasted. My apartment at the time had a lot of electrical surges and outages so it could be due to that (I didn't use a surge protector for this item). Super easy to use: plug in the base, add water to the container, place the container on the base, push down the only lever on the unit (below the handle). At about the one year mark, the item stopped turning off when the water was boiling (it used to shut off automatically). Then a couple of months later, the entire thing just stopped working.
on February 12, 2015
While I would find returning such large, inexpensive product onerous and therefore won't, the top either doesn't include a spring to keep it open or mine did not have one. As a result, I cannot fill the kettle without holding the top open with my other hand or tilting it awkwardly. It's not a huge issue with the functionality, but I find it obnoxious.

UPDATE:

The kettle leaks water from the bottom, although I cannot, for the life of me, figure out from where. I imagine that, had I continued using it, it would have eventually electrocuted me. Ugh.

Everything about this product's quality control is lacking, from what I can gather from other reviewers.
3 people found this helpful
on December 23, 2013
I have had this item a little more than a month, and have been happy with it until today. I have it in my office at work, so I can enjoy hot tea in the cold months. It heats extremely quickly, and I can heat as little or as much water as I like.Usually I boil between 0.5L and 0.75. Today I set it to boil and left my office to run quickly to the restroom. Well, I got busy and started talking to colleagues, etc. When I came in, I actually thought I'd have to reheat the water, because I was gone like 10 minutes. Imagine my surprise that the water was still boiling, and had apparently boiled out the side and bottom of the kettle. My desk and wall were wet. There was barely any water left in the kettle. I tried to take it off the base, but the handle was too hot! I was able to click the heat switch off and let it sit to cool while I wiped up water. I will still use it, but won't be walking away from it while it boils ever again. Also, I'll unplug it every night when I leave.