Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18SW_gno

on May 7, 2012
UPDATE 10/31/12
Another month passed, and the kettle does not work that well anymore as I experienced in the beginning. Obviously, the rust buildup on the heating element is now somehow hindering its auto shut-off function. This means I have to manually flip the switch to turn off the kettle when water is boiling, otherwise it just keep heating up! This can really be a major safety issue, not to mention that the whole point of a electric kettle is that I don't have to stand around it watching the water. Although it is still usable, I wouldn't use it anymore. Sent an email to the company, and I was told that it's most likely due to mishandling, and I'll have to pay to ship it over to get it fixed. Since shipping this guy in its original box costs half its selling price and there's no guarantee it'll be fixed for free, I'll just opt for a new kettle. It could be problem with my tap water, but aren't these supposed to be a way to purify water anyways?

UPDATE 9/29/12
Now that I've used this kettle for over a few months, I'll take away two stars for it. The reason is that you have to keep using it very, very often, almost daily, to keep the kettle in good working order. Scale buildup, although a problem, is easily taken care of by some vinegar; however, once I leave the kettle alone for a week or two without using it, the heating element rusts. This not only makes boiling time much longer than before and consume a lot of energy, but also releases potentially harmful chemicals into your water. The only way to prevent this is to wipe the inside of the kettle dry after boiling water. Once the heating element rusts there's pretty much nothing I can do about it than replacing the kettle as it's not really possible to scrape and polish the insides.

This large kettle is very convenient for those who occasionally need hot water. I bought it looking for some tea as well as instant food and it does the job perfectly.

-Large volume. Can boil a lot of water, which means the water stays warm a little longer when I let it sit. No need to reboil for refills.
-Power design. The "special" power connection used on the base is pretty high so I feel more comfortable leaving it near the sink.
-Cordless. I can take it away without trying to unplug it. I used to use a corded one and unplugging it can be a pain when the water is boiling inside and the kettle gets hot.
-Handle with anti-slip. Great when the kettle gets heavy.
-Switch that can turn off. The old kettle I have can only turn off itself, and this one is really convenient when I think I don't want the water anymore.

-Scale builds up really fast. I've used it a week now and can already see some on the heating element.
-Minimum line at 0.5L. This means I have to boil at least 2+ mugs of water, even I just want a cup.
-Plastic smell needs 5+ boils to clear up.

The bad parts can be dealt with pretty easily so it's no big deal for an occasional user. If you want something to use every hour to serve a whole family (or more), consider one of the stainless steel kettles with hidden elements. This kettle will probably take some descaling, but I guess that is the cost of having one that boils a full kettle in under 4 minutes.
1212 comments| 210 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 21, 2013
After 7 months, it just stopped working. So I emailed Hamilton Beach, here is the answer I got from them :

We are pleased to tell you that your product is still covered under the limited warranty. We will be happy to send you a replacement product. Under the terms of your limited warranty, you must first return the defective product to us and pay for the cost of sending the replacement product to you. However, because you are a valued customer we can help you save some money. Instead of returning the full product, please unplug your appliance, cut off the plug, and send a picture of the disabled unit to (email address provided). Please be sure to include your consumer number in the subject line as well as your name and address in the body of the email.

When we receive the picture of the disabled unit AND your payment of $10.99 to cover the cost of sending you a replacement product, we will ship the replacement directly to you. To pay for the shipping and handling charge, you will need to call our Consumer Affairs Department at (phone number provided) to put the shipping of $10.99 on a credit card. When calling, please be sure to reference your consumer number.

Once we receive your payment and picture of the disabled unit, you should expect your new appliance to arrive within 7-14 business days. We also ask that you keep your current appliance until your new one arrives.

Thank you again for contacting Hamilton Beach Brands, Inc. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to assist you.

And here is the answer they got from me :

Dear Bad Customer Service,

I am very pleased to tell you that :

1 - for 10.99$, I can get myself a brand new electric kettle from another company
2 - doing that, I won't have to wait 7 to 14 business days and I'll have my new kettle immediately
3 - doing that, I might actually get a kettle that will last me a long time, and not 7 months which seems to be "normal" for your product since apparently you don't seem either surprised or sorry that you provided a product that stopped working after that time
4 - doing that, I will be giving my money to a company that might actually care about retaining its customers

I swear I will never, ever, buy another hamilton beach product again in my life.

PS : my new kettle will be delivered tomorrow, thank to amazon
99 comments| 322 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
I cannot recommend this electric kettle by Hamilton for the following reasons:
• Weird and dangerous: The electrical cord is set in the front of the machine, not the back as indicated in the company guide (see pic 1). The picture on Amazon’s website is cropped without the cord, so you can’t determine placement although common sense would expect to find it behind the unit, not in front where the pouring spout is since water and electricity don't mix.
• Strange and awkward: Because the cord is in the front, the unit must be plugged into the wall with a left-handed orientation for removing the kettle from the tray (see pic). Must appliances occupy corner placements making this design counter intuitive no matter what side of the kitchen counter you plug it into.
• Smelly and gross: Despite running water through it more than the recommended 3x, the boiled water strongly smelled of plastic.

Thanks to Amazon’s policy, I returned this item. My advice: keep shopping, and look for an electric kettle with a right-hand placed cord and a stainless steel design.
review imagereview image
22 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 16, 2015
Very convenient since the kettle is wireless. Boils pretty fast even if it's almost full of water(about 3mins). It shuts off automatically when boiled to max. Before the switch shuts off automatically, you can still see if water is boiled through the measuring transparent area.
I think it's cool that the wire is not attached directly to the kettle, so if it did tilt over sideways by accident it would shut off automatically.
Great product and bigger than expected.

Edited 4/12/15
(check photo)
I have been using this almost everyday to boil water for my coffee. I always just rinse it out with water after usage.
I just realized looking inside where the metallic coils are. It has rust on the coils already. I had this for couple months only.
I can't get the rust out and have to throw it away now unless I just use it with the rust.
Besides the rust, this kettle boils pretty fast but still useless now.
Hope this update helps others.
review image
33 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 24, 2015
It does the job, if that's what you're looking for. That being said, I wouldn't recommend opening the top when it's just been used. The heat makes the flimsy plastic hinge pins go soft, meaning it's very likely the top will come off completely and have to be clipped back into place [before it cools down, mind you, otherwise the plastic will go firm and will probably snap when you try and clip it back in place.

So yeah, if that is a concern for you and you'd rather have an electric kettle that ISN'T prone to losing its top if you open it while it's hot, it's probably better you look for something else. As for me, I just make sure to put in enough water beforehand, and leave the top alone when it's hot. Again, it does the job, but you get what you pay for.
on October 31, 2015
I love this item. My friend has a similar one but her pot is glass. I didn't want glass b/c I'm prone to bumping things in the sink & I was afraid I'd break a glass one. I was delighted to find this plastic one. It works great and if I forget that I put water on to boil for tea, I don't have a burnt pot b/c it shuts off automatically. It would be nice if it had an alarm or some kind of noise when the water has come to a boil.
on July 26, 2016
This is a great, quick-boiling kettle. Nice profile on my kitchen counter. I haven't had any problems with mine (going on 2 years strong with daily use). The only drawback is that if you don't close the lid completely, the kettle will continue to boil and the auto-off feature will not be enabled. Otherwise, it automatically turns itself off with a audible click when the water is done.
on August 5, 2016
Good looking, great price, works well. I really believe that water boiled in kettle make a much nicer tea than water heated in the microwave. Also, the large capacity of this kettle makes boiling water for cooking purposes much faster than waiting for it to boil on the stove top.
on November 17, 2015
Love this product! I have been wanting one for a while but never found one at a good price. Luckily I decided to order this just in time before the horrible flood happened in SC. We were on a boil water advisory for countless days after the flood. Product boils water so quickly and I love the auto shutoff feature.
on February 18, 2017
Always need one cup boiling water and one cup cold water to make my jello salad that I never start making early enough. Handy and great for making tea, soup or just about anything requiring boiling water to fully dissolve.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.