Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on August 28, 2016
The product itself is great but the lid didn't even last a year. The lid imploded all over my food! If this happened to you, all you have to do is call Hamilton Beach customer service number and they'll replace the lid free of any postal charges of course. They were very receptive on the phone. My new lid arrived today.
on August 16, 2013
I needed a large crockpot for our kitchen at work so I ordered this one. It does heat up fast, gets very hot, and its really big. However the lid has no rubber gasket around it, its just a thin glass lid with a thin metal edge, it slides around when carrying the crockpot but my biggest complaint is that it allows way too much evaporation. Rather than having the steam come out one hole in the lid like the smaller hamilton beach cooker I have it has steam seeping out the entire perimeter of the lid, i found I had to add water about twice as often for some things, my vegetable soup evaporated a good 2 inches while cooking. Even had this been a heavier all glass lid I think it would have worked better. This lid is paper thin and poorly fitting, no seal whatsoever. If you dont cook a lot of liquid based dishes and rapid evaporation isn't a concern for you then this should work pretty well.
on August 6, 2013
We have a traditional round slow cooker that works well for many dishes. After I purchased the "DorkFood DSV Temperature Controller for Sous-vide" from Amazon, however, I started to wish I had a little more space to accomodate larger cuts of meat. Since I've only used mine for sous-vide - this review may not be helpful if you're interested in more traditional ways of using a crockput. But I've cooked with mine more than a dozen times and, unlike typical crockpot recipes, a few of the recipes kept the crockpot going for 72 hours. That combined with the temperature controller (which basically turns the electricity on and off in response to temperature changes from a probe inserted into the water) and the unit could potentially be working harder than it was designed for. But it's held up great and, for a home made sous-vide solution, it's exactly what I was looking for.
on March 28, 2016
I love this slow cooker! It arrived quickly, I have used it twice already. I am a longtime crock pot user, this one seems to be hotter, warms up fast no sticking or burning though, heats evenly as far as i can tell. Sometimes slow cookers have a spot that is hotter causing food to stick and scorch there, this one does not. I made a huge pot of chili on Saturday (brought to a boil on high, turned to low, simmered all afternoon, left on warm for serving in the evening) and slow cooked a ham Easter Sunday. I feed 5 all the time many more a lot of the time. This is a nice big cooker, my last one was a 7 qt, this is an 8 and I can definitely tell the difference. I use my slow cooker all year around for everything from pork ribs to soups, this one is going to be perfect!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 6, 2015
I've had this slow cooker for a bit over a year now and I'm still loving it as much as I did the first day I got it. It works beautifully, it's large enough that I can feed my family of 6 and still have leftovers, it's sturdy and has survived being knocked around in our storage closet when it's not in use. Right now I've got 11 chicken breasts in there (with salsa, black beans, & corn - YUM!) and that filled it up to the top. I'd have to say that my only complaint is that I find the lid-holder on the back to be pretty useless. Seemed cool, but it's cumbersome to use, therefore I don't. Still, realistically, you're not going to be running it without the lid, so that's a pretty minor complaint, and it's still absolutely worth getting.
on January 23, 2013
This is a great crock pot and I really like the size. I've owned it for a few months now, and I use my crock pot all the time. I'm a busy mom finishing school and raising 4 kids, so my crock pot is my go-to kitchen appliance. My previous crock pot was a 6 quart crock pot (which seems pretty standard), and the ceramic pot was broken on my granite counters when we were doing the dishes. Because I can't live without my crock pot, I needed something quickly and I wanted something bigger. I ordered this one and received it quickly because of my prime membership. I will give this crock pot a four out of five stars for the following reasons:
Pros:
- Great crock pot size
- Using the Low setting allows me to cook all day without burning the food
- I like the lid holder - makes it easy to open the crock pot and add more ingredients during the day without getting the counter messy.
- Easy to use
- Great price / Fantastic value for the money

Cons:
- Does not have a timer - There are only three settings: Keep Warm, Low and High. My previous crock pot had a timed setting so I could turn it on, and when it was finished cooking the crock pot would automatically switch to the "keep warm" setting which was nice because it wouldn't keep cooking the food. This crock pot does NOT have that option. I've found that if I put food in it in the morning I can only use the "Low" setting if it will be cooking all day. I've even done this with frozen meat and everything was completely cooked by the end of the day. When I used the "High" setting (even with frozen meat) in the morning, the food was burned.
- When it's on "High" it cooks too hot for most recipes, unless I only need it to cook something for 3 - 4 hours.

I'm only deducting one star for the hot cooking temperature and the lack of timer. This is a great crock pot for the price and have already recommended it to friends.
on October 31, 2013
This is my second slow cooker. When my first one wore out through extensive use, I was hesitant to buy this one because some of the reviews here said it boiled on all settings. Now that I've used the slow cooker over a dozen times, I feel qualified to comment. The instruction manual for this slow cooker mentions something to the effect that it should be filled over half way. I typically fill it to at least 3/4 capacity. Even so, the slow cooker does have a couple of hot spots where liquid will bubble. But, this does not seem to mean that the entire crockpot is a boiling cauldren, the way some of the other reviews led me to believe. Quite to the contrary, some vegetables that I cooked on low for twelve hours last week (while well cooked) were still slightly crunchy and not at all overcooked.
One consideration potential purchasers may want to consider is whether they will always want to prepare six to eight quarts of food everytime, or if they might be happier with a smaller slow cooker. This thing makes a LOT of food.
on November 22, 2013
This works like any other slow cooker I have used. I was expecting it to be too small after reading the reviews, but I am pleased with the size. I like to cook in bulk and make freezer meals, and this is plenty big enough. I had planned on measuring the capacity, but it looked so much larger than the 5 quart I had been using that I decided it didn't really matter. The box says I can fit a 6 lb roast, but I can fit much more than that. I cooked a 9.25 lb pork loin along with 1 lb carrots and 4 large sweet potatoes. I did not have to cram it, and none of the food touched the lid. It cooked perfectly.

I don't care much for the lid holder, but it is easily removed. It is difficult to get the very hot lid onto and off of the holder. It would be easier if the lid handle were thicker and/or taller. The lid holder is still nice for wrapping the cord around for storage. Also, the cord is shorter than on my other slow cookers. Sometimes this inconveniences me.
VINE VOICEon August 29, 2013
If it is, then I do! The ceramic insert on my old Crock Pot developed a hair line crack in the bottom of it and was leaking inside of the warmer. When I decided to replace it the cost of replacing the insert was nearly as much as buying a whole new slow cooker. I looked at the original Crock Pots but finally settled on this Hamilton Beach because it is a full 8 quarts! With a family of 7, I was always running out of room in my old 6.5 qt cooker. This one has yet to be overfilled by any recipe. It also seems to cook a little faster than a regular slow cooker, which is sometimes good. I would say it's about an hour faster than most. I sometimes forget to put my dinner in the crock pot in time and when I do remember, I may only have 3 hours left. I turn this on high and it never fails to cook thoroughly and well in that amount of time. Great slow cooker and I use it all of the time!
on October 2, 2013
After I accidentally burned up our 6 quart cooker while cleaning our range and turning the burner on under the cooker, we had to buy a new cooker. Since we have had such good luck with the Hamilton Beach brand, and since we had five to feed instead of two, we opted to get the largest cooker we could get. After researching the models available, I opted to not get the ones with more advanced controls and timers that were significantly more expensive.

I am delighted with this new cooker in every way. I can load the thing to full capacity and everything cooks to perfection including stews, soups and even turkey dressing.

One word of caution, however, the cook will need to check the food about an hour before the minimum time called for in your recipe. I am finding that I open the cooker and test the food at least one hour less than the minimum cook time. My most recent efforts have been flawless with all the vegetables done perfectly and the meats exceedingly tender.

For the price, this cooker is without any meaningful comparison. If I have to, I will buy this same cooker over and over.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse