Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 30, 2015
It's hard to believe that such a simple appliance, which has been around for decades, could be created to fail at performing its intended simple task. However, Hamilton Beach has succeeded.

I purchased this toaster to replace a 25 year old toaster that finally died. I was just looking for a simple, no-frills toaster. I saw that this Hamilton Beach model had received a lot of positive reviews, but my experience has been completely the opposite. In a nutshell, no matter what setting is used to make toast, the bread is never toasted evenly. One side is significantly darker than the other. It's not even close! I have uploaded 4 photos of 2 pieces of bread toasted using this appliance (1 photo for each side of toast).

I have used the toaster for a couple of months hoping that it might get better... it hasn't. So I'm shopping again for another toaster and I'll be sure to steer clear of Hamilton Beach.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
107 helpful votes
108 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on December 5, 2015
We’ve had this toaster going on 2 months now & the basic operation is great. Toasts bread really even. Does a great job in bagel mode. The only issue we have is we buy real rye & pumpernickel bread from the farmers market & it’s just a little too long to fit into the slot. We end up having to cut that 1/2" off each slice to get it in the toaster. I would guess the regular mass produced white bread would fit okay. Other than that it’s a great unit.
review image
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on October 26, 2013
The toaster looks nice, is meant to handle bagels and large pieces of bread. Unfortunately, one side of the toaster would not rise after the toasting was completed. I thought, Ok , I can deal with that. But, now that side does not even toast. The elements do not get red, or hot at all. Sad to say, I did not keep the seller's information or the box it came in. My bad!

The 2013 purchase was replaced free of charge.

It is November of 2017 and I am editing this review to say that the replacement toast of 2013 lasted until now. One cannot expect much more from an inexpensive toaster. I believe I may reorder the same toaster again. Checking out Amazon listings now.
on October 14, 2017
When I first got this I wanted to return it but had thrown out the box. It didn't brown anything unless it was on the highest setting. After a few weeks for some reason it started working better. I still have to turn it up very high for browning.
on November 9, 2015
One of the slots stopped toasting just after the 30 return period ended. :(
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on October 15, 2014
Junk - My kids religiously have waffles, or toast in the morning and our old trusty toasted broke finally after 10 yes. I bought this one based on price and features. After 3 weeks I'm finding that its only lightly toasting one side and nicely toasting another. The bagel setting isn't on and trying to flip the to at is annoying, and still makes it uneven. My advice, look for another product.
2 helpful votes
3 helpful votes
on January 24, 2016
This toaster looks nice and has a convenient way to remove crumbs from the bottom of the toaster (A pull out tray). It has 7 settings for darkness/lightness of toast/bagels. My problem is that the center slots do not toast as well as the outside slots. This means that if you use the two slots on one side of the toaster one of your bagels/toast will be darker than the other. I usually just just both of the outside slots to get an even darkness for both pieces, but this requires twice as much electricity as a 2 slot toaster because you are still heating up all 4 slots. It also makes it a pain if you want to toast 4 things at once which is the original reason I bought this toaster.
on July 15, 2017
It does a better job than our old toaster oven, but not nearly as good of a job as my dad's expensive Breville Smart Toaster. Toast comes out darker at the bottom than the top. But it's 1/10th of the cost.
on June 3, 2017
A little cheap feeling, but the important part is...it makes good toast. Evenly toasted, buttons work. Great, inexpensive option. We're not daily toast makers.
on September 14, 2017
Best toaster I've had. Can really adjust toasting from light to dark with consistent results. No more pushing it down agIn and again to get the right finish.