Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 126 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 145 reviews
on May 16, 2017
Great cozy mystery series from the UK. Takes place in a beautiful locale with interesting and likeable characters. Robert Carlyle is perfect as the police sergeant of a small remote village in Scotland. Kind of reminds me of Northern Exposure. Two thumbs up.
on January 20, 2015
Great show! We were introduced to the series last year, right before we went traveling around the UK. We visited quaint Lochdubh (Plockton), walked around town and chatted with friendly locals, then drove down to Kyle of Lochalsh for a nice dinner at the Stag Bar (Balmacara Hotel). The interior looks pretty much the same as it did on the show 20 years ago! After that adventure, we just had to buy our own Hamish MacBeth DVD set. Slightly disappointing that one of the episodes has been omitted, but I suppose it's nothing that upgrading to region-free DVD player and purchasing DVDs from overseas wouldn't fix. The quality of these DVDs is reasonable, given the pre-HD era this was filmed in.
on August 6, 2017
I ordered this because my 89 year old dad was reading the books, and expressed an interest in the TV show. We both enjoyed it very much.
on June 25, 2014
I adored this series long ago when I watched it with my family on PBS. Robert Carlyle will always be Hamish to me, even though he's been outstanding in many other roles.
The characters and scenery -- and storylines that are hokey, hilarious, and heartbreaking by turns -- add up to a fabulous series that's worth the purchase. The missing episode aside, you really get the full meal with buying the complete series. (And if you're a hammer-handed clod like be & you crack a dvd, just re-order the series you messed up & *poof*! Replaced!)
Spend some time in Loch Dubh with Hamish, TV John, Isobel, Rory & Esme, the McRaes and the rest.You'll love it.
on February 1, 2013
Like many, I became a fan of Robert Carlyle by watching Once Upon A Time. I had seen him years ago in The Full Monty and loved it, but I didn't keep up with his career until more recently. I first saw Hamish Macbeth when I rented it from my local library and it did not disappoint. The story is about a police constable in the small Scottish village of Lochdubh. The town is filled with quirky unusual characters and Hamish is quite laid back in his law enforcement role. There is usually a mystery element to each episode and Hamish finds himself romantically linked to two women during the course of the series. The love triangle eventually resolves itself when he finally makes his choice and that leads to some unexpected consequences. To be perfectly honest, there were a couple of episodes where the plot was a bit slow but overall very enjoyable. I really liked seeing Robert Carlyle in this softer, more laid back role as opposed to the 'crazy' characters he's known for like Begbie in Trainspotting. I would recommend Hamish Macbeth to any Robert Carlyle fan or anyone else who enjoys British television shows like ' Doc Martin'.
on August 10, 2016
I was introduced to Hamish Macbeth through a friend. The series doesn't match the books but if you only start with the series it is fine. It is a bit hard for me to make out the dialogue but that is because I am not use to listening to the Scottish accent and that is why I purchased the series so I could replay and use closed caption. There are some very funny social satire episodes. Good acting and a group of characters I would like to know in real life
on May 14, 2017
We loved this series. I have read all the books and the DVDs did not disappoint. Some of the characters are a little different, but that's to be expected when books are reformatted to the screen. My husband and I wish more episodes had been made.
on September 3, 2011
I can't remember how I stumbled across this series, but am VERY glad that I did. It is comedy; it is drama. It is thoroughly enjoyable, having great humor, excellent characters and character development.

A small town policeman Hamish Macbeth (Police Constable, or "P.C. Macbeth" in the Scottish vernacular) is set in a small Highland town of fierce loyalties. As capable of bending a law as he is of enforcing it, Hamish is actually quite a sharp detective, but busily hides it because he ardently desires to avoid ANY notice from the higher ups. Credit for his crime-solving abilities would mean unwanted attention. That would eventually mean a transfer out of the BEAUTIFUL Highland community where he has become an essential part of the close-knit fabric of this small town. The antics with which he manages to solve local crimes and do justice for his community--without garnering any credit--is an integral part of this series' humor, though plenty of comedy is also mined elsewhere throughout.

Hamish is also a flawed character, making him seem much more real, more down to earth. He is capable of deeply feeling guilt when his actions, though well intentioned, cause harm. On the whole, his flaws make him much more likeable. These flaws are not overdone, and certainly make him more realistic than the portrayal of an unflawed palladin would have done. We get an intimate look at the eccentricities, integrity and honor of the title character throughout the series, and he measures up as a man of character and honor despite his flaws.

I also loved the townsfolk. This show, like the Canadian series, "Corner Gas," exhibits wonderful local color that is characteristic of ANY small town, regardless of continent and culture. In both of these series, despite having grown up on another continent or in another country--I KNOW and grew up with these people!

I loved pretty much everything in "Hamish Macbeth." I loved the Scottish accents and customs that come through in the Series. I loved the humor and the characters. I loved the strong loyalties of the characters for their town and for each other--especially the steadfast loyalty of Hamish's right-hand man. Of keen interest through the series is a love triangle with a dramatic resolution and double climax. I appreciated the character development, which was pretty good for a short-lived series of only 3 seasons. (Perhaps the best compliment is that I DEARLY wish it could have been longer, but Robert Carlyle, the actor playing the title character, was clearly off to bigger and better things.)

In fact, my ONLY criticisms are for what was left OUT of the DVD set. There is no way to turn captions on from the DVD. The Scottish accents are pretty thick to unaccustomed American ears, and those who have trouble hearing accents will miss large amounts of dialogue. However, if your TV has a Closed Captioning setting, there ARE CC codes within the signal itself, so this defect can be gotten around by turning on Closed Captioning from your TV's settings. My only MAJOR criticism though, is of the DISC SET and NOT of the series itself. An episode, "West Coast Story," which should have been Season 1, episode 4, was left out of the first season's discs. (What were they THINKING?!!) I would normally have wanted to deduct about 1/2 a star for the CC difficulty and TWO stars for the missing episode but I couldn't bear to give it less than 4 stars because I enjoyed the series SO much. The series itself would get a solid 5 stars from me.

I heartily recommend this series. As soon as I am able, I plan to dive into M.C. Beaton's books which inspired it.
on May 7, 2013
Since both my parents came from Scotland and I grew up with Scottish accents on both sides of the family, I find the Hamish MacBeth series fun to listen to (although sometimes even I have trouble with the thick accents). I don't think too many Americans would be able to follow along. I used to watch this series on BBC America and was glad to find it again. Of course, I'm also a fan of the books. They did not stay too true to the books because Hamish was over 6' tall and had red hair. Robert Carlyle is a good actor and does a fine job even though he is nothing like the physical Hamish in the books.
on July 12, 2013
As an AVID M.C. Beaton reader, I was really disappointed in this version of Hamish. I did not read most of the stories in this collection, but Beaton's Hamish was a tall person with really red hair, so as much as I love Robert Carlyle in everything else I've seen him in, he physically was no match for Hamish. Also, the book Hamish appears somewhat oafish, yet has a strong sense of justice and cares deeply for each of the town's inhabitants (well, most of them anyway). I did not get any of this from the film Hamish. The films are interesting and of course, Beaton's storylines are always fun and invite the reader to try to figure out who the villain is, but this collection just simply did not have the warmth, familiarity between characters, or the overall pizzazz I expected after reading so many of the MacBeth books.

My hope is that someone will make a BBC series out of the Agatha Raisin and the newer Hamish books and do a better job. I would be one of their best audience members.