Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 586 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 709 reviews
Having raised hamsters as a kid, I couldn't resist trying "Hamster Habitat." It's very similar to the iOS game of Aqueduct, except instead of water flowing through pipes, it's hamsters running around between their cages and collecting snacks. I played Hamster Habitat on my Kindle 3 (now called the Kindle Keyboard) - I can't vouch for how well it will run on the newer touchscreen Kindles, although Amazon shows that it will run okay.

The concept of Hamster Habitat is pretty simple: Using a limited supply of straight and curved tubing, connect the hamster cages to create a habitat. To keep your hamsters well fed and happy, make sure you collect the hamster treats scattered around the playing area.

The game includes a very good tutorial, and when you're ready to play, there are nine sample habitat puzzles to practice with before moving on to the main game, which includes three difficulty levels, each with nineteen screens to solve. The puzzles will give just about anyone a nice challenge, even at the easy level.

Game play itself is simple after you've practiced on a few introductory sample screens. There are some nice touches like an Undo key, and if you really get frustrated, you can restart the screen. And--bless the developers--you can view the solution to each puzzle.

Overall, Hamster Habitat is a fine example of what can be done with an e-ink Kindle as a game platform.
22 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 8, 2017
We just uploaded this game & haven't played much, but it's a fun interactive brain-stimulating game. Best part about it--it's free.:)
on July 18, 2016
just didn't have enough time to mess with it and not that much fun. I didn't like it.
on January 31, 2012
UPDATE - February 18,2012: I really liked this game so I re-installed it to my Kindle (keyboard). I've played it numerous times since the re-installment, and have not experienced the problems I had earlier. Maybe the game didn't install correctly on the original installment. Whatever caused the problem earlier, it's not causing it now.
***************************************

First review prior to Feb. 18, 2012:
The game is really fun and challenging, but unfortunately every time I activated the game it would corrupt the way my books were supposed to shift.

I have my books in "collections". When I select a collection, the selected collection shifts to the top of the collections list. When I select a book from within the collection, that book shifts to the top of the list of books in that collection. The collection selected and the book selected will stay on top of their lists until a new selection is made.

After playing HAMSTER HABITAT, the collections in my Kindle (with keyboard) would not stay on top of the list when selected. When I selected a collection, it would automatically shift to the end of the collections list, and when I selected a book from any of the collections they would not shift at all. The list of books inside the collections would remain static.

Restarting the Kindle would not correct the problem, so I REINSTALLED THE UPDATE (that was released awhile back). A Wi-Fi connection did not work because the Kindle detected the already installed update. So I tried doing it via USB (go to Kindle Support and select "Software Updates" for instructions on how to update via USB).

Even though, via USB, the Kindle also detected the already installed update, IT CORRECTED THE PROBLEM. If you are having the same problem note that when you get to the part "Update Your Kindle", it will remain grayed out on the menu list. It's supposed to do that if the same version update is already installed, which was the case with my Kindle. So, because I could not select "Update Your Kindle" I selected "Restart". Success! My Kindle was again working the way it should, well almost. Now I noticed my "Archived" books were not showing. This was easily remedied by "Turning Wireless On" and selecting "Sync & Check for Items" via wireless connection.

I played this game 3 times, and 3 times I went through the above. Pretty aggravating. Needless to say, I have removed it from my Kindle.
on February 6, 2012
Note: I play games on a Kindle Keyboard and sometimes on my DX. I don't like touch screens as one of my pet peeves is finger prints and smears on computer screens, plus when I've tried friend's Ipads and touch Kindles, I'm always accidentally getting the wrong area swiped.

And since my brain these days is often nimbler than my fingers, I avoid timed games. I loved the old Lemmings games, but even when younger I could figure out the strategy/tactics and coach someone else through levels of the game that I could not physically accomplish. So I really enjoy the Kindle games like Hamsters and Pirates that don't put a time limit on you.

I wish there were a second edition!

And it would be fun to have some "overpass" (3D) crossings possible.

A couple of quibbles:

There is more than one solution for some of the puzzles. In a few cases these are entirely legit and more than minor variations. However, most second solutions substitute a crossing pipe fixture for a plain horizontal one. I think the game should not allow this, as it would let your hamsters run loose through the side openings of the crossing pieces!

It appears to me that the programmers adapted a mouse maze game; why else would they use mouse traps as obstacles? You wouldn't have mousetraps in your hamsters habitat (or around your hamsters, period).

I understand the KindleTouch folks complaints about difficulty placing segments. Even with the controller on the KindleKeyboard, some pieces and/or direction changes in tight places can only be placed by deleting some pieces already placed, placing the stubborn piece (the one the program insists on placing that turns in a way you don't want), and then redoing the pieces you deleted.

Tactics for the harder puzzles:

Place individual pieces in locations that only have one possible pipe that fits. Then work with the pieces you have left.

If you run out of straight pipes, remove some and replace with bends and vice versa.

If you get stuck starting from one of the terminal places, restart or erase and work from the other end.
on July 20, 2012
Very interesting puzzle made specially for eink Kindles. Good puzzles and well implementation. Would like to see more apps of such type and gameplay.

What I like:
1. Puzzles are quite good, even hard - you'll have a good challenge starting with Easy puzzles.
2. It's nice that app remembers my last played puzzle. I.e. after I close app on some puzzle and launch app again - there is "Resume Game" option which opens last played puzzle.

What I would like to see improved:
1. Game plays quite hard on Kindle Touch...When I put cursor and swipe - very often nothing happens. Thus, I need to make several swipes gestures in the same direction until the piece is placed. I guess the playing experience would be better if you are able to put/rotate pieces on the board instead of moving cursor.
2. Quite long instructions.
3. It would be very useful to have thin grid in the board to better planning the placing elements.
4. It's better to hide a little the pipe elements with 0 quantity on the bottom bar.
5. There is no Hints - it would be good to have ones since puzzles are not trivial.

And, some puzzles have several correct solutions - actually don't know if it's good or not...

In overall - good game for lovers of such puzzles, but may be frustrating for those who looks for relaxing and smooth play.
on November 25, 2016
Found it confusing to do
on June 24, 2014
I had a hard time getting the tubes to move around. To be honest, I didn't think this was the type of game I would enjoy very much, but any enjoyment I got out of it was ruined by how hard it was to actually play in on my kindle.
on April 5, 2017
I loved playing this-and I am an ole ladi
on August 13, 2017
I found this GAMe hard. Kids could not play it.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question