Customer Reviews: Handcrafted CSS: More Bulletproof Web Design
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon pbskids pbskids pbskids  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Cycling on Amazon

Format: Paperback|Change

on July 22, 2013
No matter what your level of experience, everyone can take something, if not, many things away from this book. And the conversational tone in which it's written makes you feel as if the authors are sitting there with you through this journey into technique and philosophy. These guys are great and I can't recommend this book enough!!!
on November 2, 2010
Handcrafted CSS is an excellent guide to the finer points of CSS. Dan Cederholm and Ethan Marcotte give concise principles and vivid examples to help you refine your web designs. I recommend this book to those who already grasp the basics of HTML and CSS. If you're just starting out, some of the examples may be too fast-paced.
on May 7, 2015
Dan guides you along multiple examples and tricks in the world of css. It is certainly not an exhaustive Css reference but, it helps reinforce and refine what you know. Dan does all of this in an easy to read and humorous manner.
on August 18, 2012
I've just scanned through this book and it looks excellent.

There is a template to download and some illustrations for the visually inclined which this book is designed for, hooray!
How many books have you picked up with no resources to download!? Annoying - like the latest (3rd edition of Bulletproof Web Design) which feels to me unfinished and hurried.
The second edition was fine - get that one.

Handcrafted feels like there was care and craft involved in its production.

For me this looks like the best thought out CSS book for people wanting to learn the craft. I learn't type in the photo-type era and the craft from internationally recognized creatives. It is encouraging to see craft re-emerging. That's why I've bought to many books on CSS because it taps into my passion. Thankfully I found this Book as most the others left me a little wanting.

I would marry this book with something like a reference book with a really good index like Beginning CSS Web Development, CSS the missing manual (great reference manual) and something like CSS Pocket Reference by Eric A. Meyer (any of his books). For visual thinkers who want to grasp markup visually go get transcending CSS by Andy Clarke.

If you know the foundations and want to get into the meat and potatoes this is for you. It looks fairly up to date even though it's 2009. It wouldn't take a giant leap to add responsive principles to the books examples.

The books that get very romantic and philosophical like 'Responsive web design' are fine if you are established in the field.

Handcrafted has a nice balance between practical examples, color graphics and inspiring quotes which will feed those who love the craft.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 5, 2010
Definitely would recommend this book--especially to those who like Dan's previous books or his SimpleBits blog.
on April 2, 2011
I teach a beginning CSS class at the Lifelong Learning Center in Missoula, Montana. My students are mostly small business folk who don't intend to become full time geeks, although about 10% of them do go on. Some of them end up working for me!

With that market in mind, the first chapter of this book is exactly what I needed for an exercise that runs through a series of "what ifs" in a small, manageable piece of a web page. The other exercises I have are for whole page layout and understanding the big picture of CSS. The bigger projects tend to set my student's heads in a spin. This little piece is a great complement. It's also a great way to discuss that being "professional" means paying attention to the details.

This book goes on my "highly recommended" list!
on May 21, 2011
Excellent read! While I mostly work on our app's backend, I have a lot of respect for the people who make it look pretty. Reading this book gave me a whole new appreciation for the details they have to keep in mind and was a good reminder why I don't really do that sort of work.

The text is well written, has lots of helpful illustrations and often shows alternative ways to achieve the desired result. Of course browser compatibility gets tackled too, and the author recommends a comparatively low maintenance "progressive enrichment" approach. This really was written by a craftsman who takes his trade seriously and that shows!
on April 24, 2010
An engaging and easy read for aspiring CSS masters. Like Bulletproof, I'm certain this book will continue to be a significant, used, and useful reference on my desk. Full of examples that meet my immediate need, this book covers a complicated subject in a compelling, well illustrated, and good humored way, but it's more than a collection of tips and tricks; Cederholm challenges users to think about the broader issues like best practices and craftsmanship.
on March 25, 2010
I have been playing around with CSS lately and was always confused on few things. I have not yet read the whole book but just reading first chapter cleared some doubts so I am giving author 5 star already since I could not find these tricks anywhere else. all other books focus on syntax but don't really say why this way and not that way? I will update my comments as I continue my journey into CSS.
on March 21, 2010
We use this book as an instructional text in my NYU class in CSS. it's a short, but excellent book on CSS capabilities and uses. Easy to read, and lavishly illustrated. It takes a website as an example, and works through all these permutations and design decisions. So it's not a reference book, but rather a "how to" book. Recommended.