Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services gotcatchup gotcatchup gotcatchup  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-6 of 6 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 12 reviews
on September 29, 2007
Like Corelli's Op 6 concerti, every lover of Baroque music must also have
have at least one recording of Handel's Op 6 in his collection. This version, played by the Academy of Ancient music, along with another performed by The English Consort are my two favorites.

This is a very energetic performance. Andrew Manze has uniformly chosen
brisk tempi through these concerti. Things are never too rushed, though. Clarity of expression and melodic lines always come out clearly, but I sometimes wonder why some movements are taken so quickly. Perhaps it might be to cut down track lengths? I hope that is not the case. At any rate, it's a small matter considering the energy and ornamentation the soloists put into parts, even striking double and triple stops at the end of exciting solo passages. The contrast between soloist and ensemble is nicely brought out in this recording. That all makes for an exciting listening experience, and sets this recording apart from others that might be considered as more formal and polished performances.

I chose the digital download option for this purchase and was very pleasantly surprised at how smoothly the process went. After the downloader was installed, the tracks came down extremely quickly. So fast, in fact, I paused the download to look in the folder and see if the tracks were really there! The entire two CD set was done in under two minutes.The results in 225 VRB sound really great.

My only concern about the digital download is that while track number information is put into the files so that the Windows Media Player sorts out the correct track order, the filenames themselves will not cause the files to organize correctly in folders, hence, also not on my MP3 player, which does not use the track number data in the file. I either have to create playlists, or rename the files with 01...,02..., headers. Maybe
I need another Mp3 player!

Digital or CD, This recording is well worth the purchase price. Just listen to the samples. You will know what you are getting.
on September 27, 2011
I am a period instrument enthusiast; I'm not going to get into that discussion. All I know is that this is one of the first recordings of classical music I've bought and it's still my favorite in my collection. The playing is very exciting, the phrasing is meticulous and very audible to the listener. You can never go wrong with Harmonia Mundi for recording quality; the sound is really exquisite. I personally tend not to like the sound Andrew Manze gets out of his baroque violin; sometimes it sounds nasally and constrained. However, this CD is a nice exception. Generally, his playing sounds more like a normal violinist, without any of the covered sound I'm used to. The Academy of Ancient Music playing is pristinely clean, and pristinely in tune, especially on some of the slower movements in which intonation is more risky. My favorite movements are the rollicking 5th movement Allegro of the 5th concerto, the noble, poignant 1st movement Larghetto of the 2nd concerto, and the tuneful, catchy, dancing 4th movement Allegro of the 4th concerto. If you are a fan of high baroque music, particularly the baroque concerto grosso, these two discs will excite you day after day, month after month, year after year. Bravo AAM, Andrew Manze and Harmonia Mundi for another wonderful production!
on December 4, 2014
dash and sparkle flow from Manze's et al. playing of Handel's Concerti grossi! Different from i solisti italiani on denon which is elegantly paced and personally I found more reflective. Both versions are well worth having and include ALL12 of the concerti.
on April 20, 2015
Lovely.
on January 27, 2013
This work is just amazing, and the Harmonia Mondi recording is terrific. This was given as a gift, and the recipient was more than pleased. I have my own copy, otherwise this never would have left my hands.
on January 27, 2015
Some critics describe this as the second greatest achievement of the baroque era after Bach's Brandenburg Concertos. Well, if this is second, it is a very distant second. Many of these pieces are uninteresting and uninspired. I found much of this to be typical Baroque noodling and flourishes. The fact that there are currently 70 recordings of the Brandenburg Concertos and a much smaller number of recordings of these tells you something. I could have skipped this purchase.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse