Handground Precision Manual Coffee Grinder: Conical Ceramic Burr Mill - Black
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Make sure this fits by entering your model number.
- HIGH-QUALITY HAND COFFEE GRINDER designed by thousands of coffee enthusiasts around the world to achieve a consistent grind using the hand crank mill for any bean
- ADJUSTABLE GRIND SELECTOR with 15 settings giving precision to the coarseness of grind for your Pour Over, Drip, Chemex, Cold Brew, French Press, AeroPress, Espresso, or your specific brewing method.
- HASSLE-FREE GRINDING With A 40mm conical ceramic burr mill and triple mounted axle that eliminates burr wobble. These last 5x longer than stainless steel blades. Each axle is milled on a 5 axis CNC that maintains tolerances of 0.004 inches. The combination of added stability and razor thin tolerances allows Handground to achieve a consistent grind, every time.
- DURABLE, PORTABLE, AND QUIET with a convenient removable hand crank mechanism consistently eliminates over 90% of the noise that electric grinders produce. Great for camping, traveling, and stores coffee in the bottom glass jar.
- FULL COVERAGE WARRANTY! *NEW* All grinders shipping have upgraded Tritan Hoppers and Burr Mounting Systems and everything is covered for 1 Full Year.
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Customers who bought this item also bought
Items from popular brands
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Your question may be answered by sellers, manufacturers, or customers who purchased this item, who are all part of the Amazon community.
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Please enter a question.
Why design a hand coffee grinder from scratch? - Many hand grinders are difficult to use. We felt like you should enjoy every part of the coffee preperation experience, including the gring. In order to make this happen we spent over a year trying to wrap our heads around every aspect of coffee culture and the grind process. We interviewed hundreds of baristas, cafe owners and individual coffee enthusiasts to find out how we could make an improved version of a manual hand coffee grinder. Our feedback told us that there were 3 main problems with most manual coffee griners.
1) Ease of Use - Most horizontal manual coffee grinders were difficult to use and inconvenient.
2) Consistency - Many grinders struggle to consistently grind beans to a uniform coarseness (particle size).
3) Setup and Tear Down - We were repeatedly told that loading manual coffee grinders and cleaning them after use was negatively affecting their coffee brewing experience.
With this information and a host of peripheral survey data we set out to engineer a new kind of manual grinder. Our goal was to make a hand grinder that was simple and elegant while being surprisingly durable and easy to use. We wanted to create something that avoided the major drawbacks of most manual grinders. With these goals in mind we created the Handground precision manual coffee grinder.
Have your favorite coffee experience with the Handground manual coffee grinder. Whether you enjoy French Press, Pour Over, Cold Brew or regular Drip Coffee, the Handground Manual Coffee Grinder provides you with the ability to precisely grind to your preferred coarseness.
Handground's Easy to Use, Vertical Hand Crank Coffee Mill makes far less noise than electric grinders, which means you can enjoy the freshest ground coffee whithout disturbing precious loved ones or pets who might want to continue sleeping!
Some Important Features → Built-in Adjustable Grind Selector gives you precise control over the coarseness of your grind. → Handy wide-mouth hopper lets you pack your grinder with enough beans for everyone without having to stop and re-load the grinder. → No batteries or electricity are required so you can enjoy fresh ground coffee while traveling or spending time in the great outdoors.
Serious updates → (2018) - re-engineered main drive shaft and burr assembly stiffens the drive assembly and protects against wear and tear.
Your coffee community: Your invited to join! Our community of coffee enthusiasts, baristas and cafe owners guide our product development and company culture.
Manual Made Easy
Handground is the first portable manual coffee grinder with a side mounted handle. Placing the handle on the side allows for a more natural motion and the ability to place your opposite hand on top of the grinder for stabilization. The handle is made from solid aluminum and complimented by a beautiful pakka wood knob.
Consistent Grind Every Time
Running down the center of Handground is a stainless steel axle that drives the burr mill. The axle is mounted on metal bushings in three locations to keep it stable while grinding and eliminate burr wobble. Each axle is milled on a 5 axis CNC that maintains tolerances of 0.004 inches. The combination of added stability and razor thin tolerances allows Handground to achieve a consistent grind, every time.
Lock And Load
The hopper opens extra wide so loading up to 100 grams of coffee is a breeze. The top locks on with a quarter twist to prevent beans from flying out while grinding. If there isn't a scale available, each measurement mark on the side of the hopper represents ~10 grams of beans.
Grind For Any Brew
We drew inspiration from the focus ring on a camera lens so selecting the right grind size is simple. Twist the numbered ring to setting 1 to produce an espresso grind or 8 for French Press. There is a step in between each number for a total of 15 coarseness settings.
Balanced Speed & Effort
At the heart of Handground is a 40mm conical ceramic burr mill that crushes coffee beans into an even particle size. The geometry of the burr is fine tuned to balance the speed which it grinds and the torque required to turn the handle. The result is that grinding takes just the right amount of effort in the right amount of time.
Compare with similar items
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I contacted Hand Ground for a replacement cap. I told them July 14 what the problem is. Nine more emails went back and forth before a part was shipped out. I received it on July 31. It was not the cap, as I had asked. It was another plastic part for the ceramic grinder piece. I emailed back and said that I want the cap. They responded and asked me to shoot a video of me using the grinder. I suppose I must prove that I know what I am talking about.
Well, I will not do that. It is ridiculous. I just want the cap. So, they have won. I am beaten. I will move on and purchase another grinder. Best of luck to anyone who buys this grinder. I hope it works great for you for many years. Perhaps I was just unlucky after all.
Cons: base isn’t wide enough, making it unstable and hard to control. Bottom sticky pad gets unstuck QuickTime and then you’re slipping and sliding all over. You have to clean it and keep it a little moist/tacky for it to stick. Terrible design. Mine stopped working after 3 months.
Bottom line: look elsewhere for something stable and more durable.
It was purchased to replace my Kyrocera manual coffee grinder. After six years the grinder is no longer producing a consistent grind.
What a disappointment and let-down when I tested the Handground grinder.
The grind, in whatever setting it’s in produced variable grind pieces from fine grind to the desired ground setting.
I was expecting a uniform grind. But no.
The actual grinder is much larger in the actual than in the photos. It is comparatively a large grinder and ergonomically does not fit well in the hand.
Though it’s form is generally pleasing, its size and proportions tend to appear intimidating and feels a bit too large and clumsy holding it while grinding.
I’m sending it back and try other manual coffee grinder brands.
It’s a bad sign when a product ships with tools and hardware to fix the product in case it doesn’t work correctly. After watching the poor quality instructional videos on their website was finally able to get the thing fully disassembled and reassembled with both included calibration washers (quite annoying and not exactly simple process) it was still way to coarse.
I received an automated amazon email from the company asking about my experience. I responded and let them know what I thought and that I planned on returning the product. Of course there was no reply and I have since received several other automated emails asking me to review the product. So here you go.
Overall it doesn’t work. They know it. That’s why they include parts to calibrate it, and it still doesn’t work. It’s hard to disassemble and therefore hard to clean. And when given the opportunity to hear my feedback and respond, they did not.
If you are at all serious about coffee, and don’t like wasting your money, stay away from this grinder.
Top international reviews
I did not (even try to) change the supplied additional washer shims.
While this grinder actually worked properly I did enjoy what it made.
Less than a year later this is no longer so.
The grinder has been used twice a day grinding beans for two people.
I disliked the build quality:
* Whole handle fell off :: retaining screw needs an unusual tool.
* Winder mechanism now 'binds' at about the 12 o'clock position.
* Something is now rattling in the header unit (winder mechanism).
* Specialist tool needed to access header unit (so I can't fix anything).
* The flat perimeter ledge at the bottom of the hopper ALWAYS catches a bean or two (why wasn't it sloped inwards so the beans naturally fall into the burr jaws!? DUH).
* I disliked the counter-intuitive clockwise undo of the header unit.
* Protective mat (for the sticky bottom pad) 'crazy paved' and then fell apart while being removed from the sticky pad. This has effectively rendered the sticky pad largely useless - due to dust fouling.
* With a now useless sticky pad AND a binding winder mechanism the grind process is not a particularly easy or pleasant activity, though it is still possible. For how long this will continue may be moot noting this recent rattling noise (loose screw?) in the header winder unit.
This purchase, not even a year old, has already fallen out the 'return goods' facility on my Amazon page and so, I presume, I cannot even return it. Zero marks for lasting less than a year with very light use and no apparent 'one year warranty'.
Apparently the grinder was designed by coffee lovers for coffee lovers, from my point of view perhaps it should've also been engineered by engineers.
I am unwilling to recommend this grinder on the basis of what I was supplied and its short life - less than a year.
A more competent electric burr coffee bean grinder is now being purchased.
A £70+ piece of equipment I kind of expect to last longer than 6 months. On the upside the company were helpful in shipping me a replacement part (even if it did take almost 2 months to get to me in the UK). It's just broken this morning for the second time so lets see how helpful they are this time!
If it hadn't broken twice i'd give it 5 stars but as it has broken twice it's only getting 2 stars.
The grinder is easy to use, and easy to change the grind size settings. I find it easy to add coffee beans and easy to remove the ground coffee beans.
To take the conical burr section out is not easy. It’s a mixture of pushing/ pulling the locking bolt (nut or whatever it is) up, making sure the handle doesn’t rotate and turning the locking nut. Do not push or pull with much force.
As for grinding the coffee.... it takes a lot of turning the handle to get enough coffee for one cup. Don’t leave doing this until you need to make coffee. I normally grind enough for a couple of cups of coffee. I leave the unused ground coffee in the bottom container.
I don’t know whether mine is faulty, or this is what they are all like? It is difficult to tell!
After only a couple of weeks something started slipping in the gears from the handle to the burrs and soon gave up entirely.
A nice idea, but the drive seems to be just not robust enough.
We have been offered a refund for the grinder but have to send it back to the US from the UK which given the cost of the grinder does not even seem worth it.