Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 99 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 193 reviews
on January 30, 2013
Malone's "Handling Sin" is a "Pilgrim's Progress" for late twentieth-century America. The wonderfully wacky plot puts a large cast of strongly portrayed characters through adventures that exhibit the foibles and vices that we all struggle with and the virtues we aspire to, without the least hint of moralism. Leading the pack is Raleigh, an uptight southern insurance salesman. Set off on an improbable quest that is part scavenger hunt by an ailing father whom he has to locate and get to a hospital, he finds his dad, falls in love with his wife again, and finds his soul. This is the kind of book that gets passed around to friends. A great read.
on August 31, 2017
Wonderful writing. The story is engaging and fun. I was expecting a mystery;it had elements, no killing just lots of whys that are interestingly answered. Growth of main character is fun to follow. I recommend this novel for anyone who enjoys a good story and good writing.
on November 5, 2015
My favorite novel of time! Malone is the Twain of this generation. I have bought at least a dozen copies-- I loan them to friends who refuse to give them back, they love them so much! I have read book reviews that speak of "tasting" the words and I never understood what they meant-- but I do now. The first dozen times I read this book i had to have a box of tissues, ever 10 pages or so I would have to wipe the tears of laughter from my eyes.
on May 30, 2014
There are many laughs and over-the-top comic scenes along the way in this madcap road trip story, which seems destined to provide the underpinning for a future screen play and film. I enjoyed most of it, and couldn't help casting the parts in my mind, with Matthew McConaughey in the lead role for starters. However, it might benefit from some judicious cutting -- the unrelenting pace of the plot is eventually a little exhausting.
on August 28, 2016
This is an outstanding book. Incredible comic humor on every other page. I tried to find other books by this author but this is the only one I could find. I absolutely loved it.
on September 19, 2013
Mt. Malone said he would like to see this book made into a movie, well.........It has been, sort of, it just remained me of the very funny parts of several old movies! It truly was a joy to read, a long one for sure, but still a joy!

It reminded me, in places, just a bit, of the following movies: Lilys of the Valley (the encounter with the nuns) Smokey and the Bandit (the capers with the tractor trailer) It's a Mad Mad World (.the craziness on the mountain) Easy Rider (the motorcycle escapades) Rainman (because of his realationship with his slightly off crazy neighbor) and any old movie located in New Orleams that covered all those dark nite clubs and all that jazz! His run away father was like a piece of The Bucket List. A man with a mission and a keen sense of humor.,

It was wonderful and refreshing. Take the time, spend a couple of days and enjoy a fun book that captures many of life's lessons. I am sure you will see it's well worth the ride, yellow caddie and all!
on March 12, 2015
In "Handling Sin", Michael Malone deals relationships - marriage, friendship, parent-child - and the way each effects one's self view. Often funny, with small town Southern charm, it is a tale of a man coming into maturity more than a coming of age story. I did enjoy the story line, however, I felt some of the comic vignettes were a bit overdrawn and strained - the story often felt that it was trying too hard.
on March 17, 2015
I am 82% done with reading this book on my Kindle. It cannot end soon enough. I almost put it down several times because I just couldn't get interested. It's gotten a little better and I will finish it (I finish everything I start) but I will not recommend it to anymore and I sincerely doubt I will pick up anything by this author again. It's just a hot mess, too hard to follow and I don't like ANYONE!
on January 21, 2016
I read this in the 80's and remember laughing a lot. I was feeling like I need to laugh a little, so I purchased the hard version and laughed again and was surprised at some of the spots I had forgotten. It is very Southern, and brought back lots of memories of me growing up.
Michael Malone, Handling Sin

Michael Malone, Uncivil Seasons

Michael Malone writes like there is no divide between popular and serious in fiction. He tells good stories; his characters are engaging and real; he has a humane sense of humor. His prose sometimes rollicks and at other times purrs, it is so elegant.

Handling Sin is one of the funniest books I have read. A reviewer compared it (rightly so, I think) to John Kennedy Toole's classic comedy of errors and manners, A Confederacy of Dunces.

Uncivil Seasons (from which I will quote in a minute) is a mystery and a comedy of manners. In every respect it is engaging. In both books, Malone has created memorable protagonists, who are utterly winning; he surrounds them with a cast of southern grotesques who would be laughable if not so human.

Here's Malone's description of a love scene. It's short, pretty and discrete. It feels like new love should feel:

"She moved above me like a flower swayed, like white peonies and red poppies and rose mountain laurel swayed; and I was the new shafts of spring earth, and so joined with her that there was no way to tell what was earth growing up, and what was flower."

It's like a lyrical passage out of the Old Testament, which is fitting since it's placed in the mouth of a renegade Old South aristocrat, Justin Savile.

At another point in the story, a rough-edged cotton mill owner compliments the hero: "I appreciate your paying Joanna [his dead daughter] your respects. I like a man with good manners. Principles, I've got no use for. Ever notice how most of the slime of the world gets flung there by men with principles? Take care now." And then he leaves.

That's just good writing!