- Series: J-B Ed: Hands On (Book 17)
- Paperback: 352 pages
- Publisher: Jossey-Bass; 1 edition (February 7, 2003)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0787965928
- ISBN-13: 978-0787965921
- Product Dimensions: 8.4 x 1.4 x 11 inches
- Shipping Weight: 3.4 pounds
- Average Customer Review: 1 customer review
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #3,372,436 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Hands-On Word Family Activities for Young Readers: Ready-to-Use Lessons and Activities for Building Literacy Skills 1st Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
See the Best Books of 2017
Looking for something great to read? Browse our editors' picks for the best books of the year in fiction, nonfiction, mysteries, children's books, and much more.
From the Back Cover
Hands-On Word Family Activities for Young Readers is a handy resource that offers you easy-to-use material for guiding children (K-3) in real reading experiences by teaching them word families. While using this book, you will be able to give your students the opportunity to learn and practice the essential phonological skills of onset and rhyme as they read an enticing story or poem.
This book offers you a wide variety of engaging methods for teaching word families including art projects, poems, big books, and little take-home books. As you progress through the book's lessons, your students will learn to write the word families fluently and to manipulate magnetic letters and words. In addition, Hands-On Word Family Activities for Young Readers contains easy-to-follow lessons for each word family, helps to build self-esteem, and increases independence as students gain confidence while learning to master the contents.
The book's materials are organized into 25 word-family chapters and printed in 8 ½" X 11" format that lies flat for easy photocopying. Hands-On Word Family Activities for Young Readers offers you and your students
- a classroom tested reading program created by two reading educators
- dynamic "real" reading experiences
- step-by-step lessons that are similarly formatted for each word family
- a wealth of activities that involve art projects, poems, big books, little books¾plus magnetic letters, flashcards, and other word family activities
- blackline masters for the book's engaging poems, art projects, and word-family books
- a variety of lessons that can be used with an entire class, small groups, or individuals
- a surefire way to engage parents to become involved with their children's learning
- detailed lesson plans and teacher directions
About the Author
Roberta Seckler Brown and Susan Carey are certified Reading Recovery teachers who are currently teaching a collaborative first grade class for the Ossining Public School District in Ossining, New York. They are the coauthors of Hands-On Alphabet Activities for Young Children.
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now