Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 677 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 767 reviews
on January 28, 2016
I like the idea. I'm not sure why everyone who doesn't follow the rules (cuts the line, is rude to the child) is brown skinned, and frankly that bothers me. Why not reflect the way things are in real life? Both White and Brown kids sometimes don't follow the rules and are equally capable of rudeness/non cooperation. The message is great, but the illustrations again, depicting what I'm pointing out, is what I have a problem with. We quickly took this book out of the rotation. Sometimes messages are communicated subconsciously and I didn't want my child internalizing that only a group of people engage in behaviors that can make one angry.
99 comments| 272 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2016
Great book!! I bought this to use with my 4 year old son who has Autism. He's had some aggressive behaviors, and this book is just what I was looking for. Good visuals and not too many words per page. Highly recommend.
review image review image
on May 30, 2016
This is such a great book. My 2 year old Granddaughter tends to hit herself; so Everytime we read the book she does what they're doing in the book. Really driving home "HANDS ARE NOT FOR HITTING!" She loves the interaction between the story and her hands. I love how proud she looks when she gets it right. Such a nice and thoughtful book.
on October 11, 2016
We read this to our 2 year old either when she hits or when she brings it to us. She enjoys this book very much. Instead of seeing it as a reaction for hitting, I believe that she enjoys it very much. The tot friendly photos, easily understood to her age, not too long, relatable images.
We have had this for a week to a week and a half and her hitting has ceased. Before it did, when she raised her hand to hit, we would gently recite "hands are NOT for hitting". If she was in an emotional state, we redirect her somewhere to read the book to her. The distraction calms her and she seems to have taken from this book!
on August 5, 2016
These aren't typical children's books-- they seem aimed at kids having problems or people working with therapists. They have an odd style about them that is kind of instructive and not that fun.
on October 1, 2016
I was disappointed that this story didn't follow the same format as the other books in the series. We love "Teeth Are Not for Biting" and read it all the time. I expected this book to have the same phrasing, approximate word count, etc. But it doesn't. I didn't notice it was a different author.

For example, a page of "Biting" says the following:
"When new teeth come in, your mouth may be sore.
When new teeth come in, you may want to bite.
But teeth are not for biting.
Ouch! Biting hurts."

Whereas the first pages of "Hitting" ask:
"Hands are not for hitting. What are hands for?"
... and nearly all the remaining pages have one-word responses to that question; e.g. "Playing" or "Building".

There's nothing wrong with the book, it just wasn't what I expected.
on July 31, 2015
My brother is a former teacher. He is a big proponent of phrasing things in the positive for kids. Teaching kids what TO do, not just what NOT to do. When my son hits, pushes or snatches he tells my son to "keep good hands." As part of defining that phrase for my son, we like to give him examples of good things you can do with your hands, like a handshake or a hug. Now we have tons of great new examples and pictures to go with it. Not to mention the fact that my son loves story time so any message in a book tends to stick. Now when I tell him to keep good hands, he starts rattling off examples of "good hands" from the book. Or he'll come up to me and wave or high five me and say, "look, Mommy! I'm keeping good hands!" Then I lavish him with praise. And the hitting has decreased.
on January 16, 2015
Whoa! I am very pleased with this book. This has helped us to start a complete turnaround in our child. My daughter is 3, so she doesn't get some of the concepts such as respect and such, but she definitely understands the message of this book. This has helped us so much! I can easily see this as something we reach for a long time in order to assist her with her feelings!

The book uses first person language, so if a child is reading it to himself it sound like an affirmation. When I read it to my child, it sounds like I'm telling her my personal experience, or if she's sitting in my lap and I read aloud, she sees the boy on the page and understands him and identifies with him since he is using words like I and Me. This is what she needed in order to see that she is not the only one with the feelings she has and that she can control them.

The subject is presented in a matter-of-fact but non-threatening way. It doesn't get preachy or overbearing. It validates the child's feelings while offering suggestions for how to handle situations.

Most situations are social situations children won't usually encounter until they are in school and begin making friends, but preschool age children can easily understand what is going on and grasp the main idea.

We have this book and Respect and Take Care of Things which we also really love. Cannot recommend this more!
on March 13, 2016
This is a great book to help encourage little people with knowing all of the many ways to use their hands in a peaceful and productive manner. Some of the elements that I like most include:
- The book uses positive reinforcement in the manner in which it highlights all of the many uses of hands that are peaceful, loving and helpful. The book mentions how not to use your hands but does not focus on the negative uses of hands.
- The book is well illustrated and the colors and pictures definitely draw in the audience to paying close attention to the activities of each individual page.
- The diverse children represented on each page is a huge plus. It is refreshing to see a book that demonstrates that children range in many different colors. The book celebrates that idea that diverse children coexist and thrive together.
- The text is simple and can be understood by very small children (I purchased and read to my 2 year old who clearly understands and repeats the text in relevant moments/settings).
VINE VOICEon March 23, 2011
There are a lot of reasons we can get angry. It's how we deal with it that makes the difference. Cool Down and Work Through Anger is a fantastic book that shows kids that it's normal to get angry. It begins with a few scenarios that might cause a kid to be angry - being left out of a play group, being treated with disrespect. Then it talks about the physical feeling of being angry - hot face, tense muscles, fast heartbeat. It talks about what you might want to do if you get angry, but then explains that these are not always the best choices. Finally, it gives some very helpful advice on what to do if you are feeling angry. The illustrations really do a great job in explaining what is going on in the book. Even if a child can't read, they can understand the book's message.

As a parent, I really like the last part of the book - the discussion questions and activities. It breaks down the book by pages and gives questions to talk about with your kids like, "When is a time you felt angry?" and "When is a time you said 'I'm sorry?' How did it feel afterward?" There are also some wonderful cool-down activities kids can try when they are angry. I think the advice is also great for adults. I highly recommend this book.
11 comment| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse