Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 37 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 44 reviews
on September 2, 2017
A good transfer on the Synapse Films Blu-ray for Hammer's late film, "Hands of the Ripper". The extras on here are high quality, as expected from the company. They are, however, relatively short compared to other releases such as "Twins of Evil." The ending is quite stylistic, and it is a pity that (like pretty much all Hammer films) quality is sacrificed for the sake of the budget. It somehow reminds me of The Godfather Trilogy at the end, it is almost operatic, but also cobbled together. You'll just have to watch it yourself to judge it, but entertainment value is not in doubt.
on May 31, 2014
The print and it's Blu-ray representation here prompted me to put several Hammer horror Blu-ray titles that I already own on DVD in my wish list in a hurry . That's some of the very good news . I'd acquired several other similar titles on Blu including Twins Of Evil and Vampire Circus as well as the Amicus film Horror Express . I had not visited these films on Blu-ray yet as I'd seen them (at least once) and now own them . Having tried to watch this particular picture via streaming and having jumped ship about half way through , I didn't fancy myself a candidate for ownership . Ultimately , I'm a Hammer cat though and finally relented owing to all the favorable reviews here , on the internet and in a couple of quarterly publications I receive . I'm glad I did . As to the film itself , that's subjective . I "liked" it but was not blown away . To each their own . Again though , prior to owning and seeing this set , I considered it silly (for myself) to upgrade any Hammer title I own on DVD to Blu-ray . That changed dramatically within about thirty minutes of so . Very impressed indeed and the features are fascinating .
on August 18, 2014
This was one of Hammer's best. The quality was a better transfer then other Hammer films by this company. Its another of my favorite films, and perhaps the first I saw in the theater, which was double billed with "Twins of Evil". But this blu-ray set is double billed with a DVD. The special features could have had some improvement, there are facts that weren't mention or pointed out about the movie. What I think could use a improvement is including a intermission in the special features. Did Britain have Intermission between movies as some Drive-in's and theaters in America had and if so, did they show a British cartoon before the second feature? I believe that this would be a pleasure to have especially for great classics like this movie. Nevertheless, I think it was worth having it on America's first released on Blu-ray and DVD.
on July 26, 2015
After years of hearing about this Hammer classic, I have to say that while I have zero complaints about the Blu Ray, I found the movie a bit trite and slow. I don't consider this one of Hammer's best.
VINE VOICEon August 5, 2008
Poor Anna. Her father was Jack the Ripper. He may be deceased but his evil spirit lives on in her. Her hands have become his hands, and he forces her to kill and kill again. The "Hands of the Ripper" is a superb piece of gothic horror from Hammer Production. A well crafted chiller, it offers suspense while following a trail of gruesome stabbing deaths. With each bloody corpse, the psychiatrist who is determined to treat her becomes one step closer to knowing the truth, but will it be too late to save him and his family?

"Hands of the Ripper" isn't available on DVD in America. Fortunately, there is the Portuguese import released by Editora. The video and audio are crisp and clear, as good as any Hammer Production I've seen from Anchor Bay. Optional English subtitles are available. A trailer is also available but it has Portuguese subtitles that are not optional. My only issue with the DVD is that the film abruptly ends halfway through the credits. I don't know if that happens on my copy only or on all of them.

"Hands of the Ripper" from Editora is highly recommended if you are a fan of Hammer Production, a fan of gothic horror, a fan of Jack the Ripper or, if you are like me, a fan of all three.
on August 19, 2013
Hands of the ripper is a late Hammer production. I've seen around 75% of the studios films & this one remains my favorite! It has a real gothic London feel to it with foggy back alleys, brutal deaths that happen so sudden they appear very shocking and a crazy woman who is the daughter of the infamous Jack the Ripper. Hands of the Ripper was a hammer film that was always obscure and I think it wasn't even given a dvd release but is now presented on blu-ray thanks to synapse films. Thanks synapse films.
on July 29, 2016
Have seen this film mant years ago and was totally enthralled best horror movie ever, have not got around to watching it yet as I need to have a late night and be on my own, pleased with delivery and packing. Thank you.
on September 23, 2014
Hammer Studios movies were such a part of my childhood! Many was the night I would look at the TV Guide from cover to cover and see if one of their movies would be shown and seldom was I disappointed. Hands Of The Ripper is from the end of the era when Hammer was the supreme leader in horror movies, but it is a superb and unique twist on the "Jack the Ripper" story.
on October 16, 2015
What a find. The last major production by Hammer filmed at Pinewood Studios. Atmospheric and interesting plot twist. The ending filmed with photographic backdrops of Saint Paul's Cathedral is worth the price of the film by itself.
on December 5, 2013
One of the finest and stylishly made films from Hammer Horror, this movie is well written, well acted, and well made. This Blu-ray version is supposed to have scenes which were not shown originally in U.S. The widescreen picture and sound are fine.