Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Brighter Child® Handwriting: Printing (Brighter Child Workbooks)
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lindsey Stirling Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

on November 15, 2012
After being gently told at our first kindergarten parent-teacher conference that our reads-at-2nd grade child was writing barely at pre-K level, it was suggested that we work at writing and other fine motor skills at home. Along with a prescribed dose of Pick-Up Sticks, Jenga, and Play-Doh (seriously) we needed to practice letters.

This book is just the ticket. Not babyish. Lines slightly larger than standard "wide ruled" paper, but not ridiculously so. Good strong top and bottom lines with a colored dotted line in the middle to help guide letter formation. The first section focuses on individual letters. One page per letter, capitals up top, lowercase starting halfway down. Format for this initial section has one letter with arrows, a line of traceables, and plenty of blank lines for practice. Next section is individual words, one page of "a" words, page of "b", etc. Trace, then copy the words. Final section is full sentences, which helps with between-word spacing.

Frankly, this book is probably too boring for a young preschooler. There are some colored pictures for each page, but there's no coloring or letter games.

However, if you need a book for an older kid to focus on writing skills, and just writing skills, this is perfect.
11 comment| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 3, 2013
I expected something different, I guess, but this is just lined paper with a line of capital letters to trace at the top, and half-way down, a line of lower-cased letters to trace of the same letter. It's not very engaging for my son. We have a notepad of lined paper from the dollar store, and I can write letters for him to trace just as easily.
on March 30, 2012
Gave my grand-daughter this book. She will be 3 soon and is very into writing, drawing, anything to do with paper and writing utensils. She knows about half the alphabet by sight and this book is part of the reason why. Her writing is not legible, but the activities will help her improve that skill as well. Recommend this resource for anyone wanting to help their little one improve handwriting and alphabet skills
on September 22, 2012
I was hoping this book would be a little thicker, with more pages for practice. Each letter only has one page to practice on. I was hoping for more blank lines for my daughter to practice. I ended up buying a completely blank-lined beginners book at the store.
on December 24, 2012
I am 18 years old and bought this because I am trying to become ambidextrous and this book is just as expected. It first has the ABC's and then moves to words and then to sentences.

I would buy this again and/or recommend it to anyone.
on October 30, 2015
My grand daughter who is three has been practicing her writing skills in this book. She loves it when she is able to stay on the lines so she takes her time. Easy to use with very little supervision after the initial introduction to the book, she uses it frequently.
on October 28, 2010
I bought the book because I was looking for age appropriate basic writing technique book for my 4.5 y.o. The book claims it is designed for ages 4-8, however, it is definitely not age appropriate for 4 y.o. kids. The letters are tiny, the pages are lined. Any OT specialist would tell that very young kids (especially boys) can only start writing really big sized letters, slowly downsizing, and only by the age of 6 they would be able to write letters on the lined pages. Carson-Delossa Pre-K and K home workbooks are much better for young kids.
1414 comments| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2014
This workbook would be perfect for a child who's already comfortable writing the uppercase and lowercase letters. I believed this is designed to provide more handwriting practice and NOT the first time book for your child to learn how to write letters. This workbook is divided into 3 sections, focusing on each letter in alphabetical order:

practice writing each uppercase and lowercase letters;
practice writing words (at the bottom is a picture that depicts the words);
practice writing sentences (also has a picture at the bottom).
on March 19, 2013
I have a son in preschool, and the only thing he was having problems with was his hand strength and writing. I bought this book for him thinking it would be good practice. It's more than that. It contains the alphabet, then different length words ranging in complication, and even sentences! The alphabet part of this, has the little arrows beside the trace-me-lines, so that you do learn the right way. Each letter has it's own page with 1/2 a page dedicated to uppercase and the other 1/2 dedicated to lowercase. It has one line with the tracers and four lines for doing it all yourself. The word pages are divided up by letters. Like apple, alligator, and ant for A, ball, bear and Bobby for B, all the way through Z. The sentence part has the sentence at the top, and room for the person to write it on their own four times below it. These, too are divided up by letters. The one for M is "Mommy monkeys mash Megan's mushrooms.", and Q is "The quiet queen quits quarreling." If teachers wanted to use them a worksheets, they even have a space at the top for the child to write his/her name. This has helped my child a lot. His hand strength has improved and he knows his letters A through D now. Wonderful supplement to education.
on February 4, 2010
Excellent tool for handwriting. My son's writing improved within a week of practising with this book. Will purchase this for my other kids.