Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:$4.99+ Free shipping (Addon item)

Showing 1-10 of 83 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 114 reviews
on March 15, 2017
Handwritten is a well written album by Brian and the Gaslight gang. This album incorporates more pop hooks than its predecessors but does not lack the emotional power that have made Gaslight Anthem such a memorable band. Handwritten ventures into some interesting territories with straightforward pop hooks that I am not usually accustomed to with their previous. But don't get me wrong, this is a really good album. Brian's vocals add so much drive behind the instruments, its no wonder his solo work is also so appealing. Check this album out!
on August 6, 2012
I'm very disappointed by all the low ratings this release is getting, if your a true fan of The Gaslight Anthem, you would give this release a solid 5 stars! Brian Fallon is one of today's best rock writers and his band mates guitarist Alex Levine, drummer Benny Horowitz and bassist Alex Rosamilia, bring everything together and form one of the greatest rock bands since 2006. On this their 4th long player "Handwritten", The Gaslight Anthem give us more top notch treasures in "45", which would be a top 40 hit in the 70's. "Keepsake", is a winner through and through, a top 10 song on a fair planet. Other top tunes are the chestnut title track, "Biloxi Parish", "Here Comes My Man", "Too Much Blood" and the classic sounds of "Desire" and "Mae". The band brings in strings on the beautiful tune "National Anthem". Of the 3 songs on the deluxe version, we get the hard chargin' melodic "Blue Dahlia", the excellent bass work of Alex Rosamilia on the Nirvana cover "Sliver" and the Tom Petty classic "You Got Lucky", with sharp guitar by Alex Levine. Brendan O'Brien did a fine job producing this disc. Keep up the great work guys, you're keeping this 52 year old ALIVE!
on September 11, 2012
Here's one of those albums that really took time to grow on me. Upon it's release, the hype was up, way up; I was expecting something to blow my mind with originality, creativity, and catchiness! Did all that live up when I bought it and listened to it? No.

I did however instantly fall in love with the closing song "National Anthem", that is such a great song, it's alomst impossible not to like it. But, the rest of the album left me feeling quite underwhelmed. Honestly though, I felt that with some of their older material as well. It's the darnest thing! I know they are good song writers/musicians and I like the voice, but the albums were always something I just kind of liked, never getting too excited.

Listened to "Handwritten" about three times all the way through, and still just kind of felt underwhelmed. I hate hype, it usually destroys something great upon first listen, or honors something terrible, making you search and search for what is good in it, even though it's a wild goosechase.

Turns out this album is the former though, for sure. The loads of hype "Handwritten" recieved didn't allow me to just listen to it with fresh ears. If someone would have told this was a terrible album, I would have had the opposite reaction, "Oh but it's sooo Great, just listen!"

Putting the album on as background music one day I began to find myself repeating every track one by one as they played, then again, hearing something new and interesting each time; like the great guitar delay effect on 'Mae', or the lyrics "All of my hero's were failures and ghosts" from 'Biloxi Parish'. These little things began to come out of the wood work, and get stuck in my head. In fact each track I listened to had something. Then it hit me, this is a fantastic album, very much unlike most of the rock and roll albums floating around today. Here's a band writting memorable hooks, with interesting lyrics, a unique voice, and great musicianship! And, an album that is great from start to finish, probably enjoyed most when played in full. Now I can't stop listening, I'm excited about this one!

Just listen and enjoy, put all the hype aside, though ironically they do deserve it for this piece of work!

Absolutely one of the best things I've heard this year
Great great album by one of the best rock bands making music today. Actually, this one is my favorite of all of the Gaslight Anthem albums (and don't get me wrong, they're all great). Not one bad song (with the exception of the two covers, which are....ehh). Gorgeous music, amazing vocals and beautiful story telling.
on August 25, 2012
Brian Fallon can do no wrong...for the most part. I first heard Gaslight when The '59 Sound came out, I went and bought all of their albums as soon as I heard the song Great Expectations in which I've had nothing but (great expectations) ever since...and I have not been disappointed. Since then they put out American Slang which is a GREAT album but debatably not quite as good as '59 Sound but still worth listening to over and over. Next came Brian Fallon's side project called The Horrible Crowes...it wasn't love at first listen but slowly each song unraveled and revealed itself and it's soul and the more I sank my teeth into this album the more the two of us became inseparable. And now I've just received Hand Written (Deluxe Edition) and of course the album is incredible and for now I'd place it somewhere between American Slang and '59 Sound only because sometimes like Horrible Crowes my ears need to be acclimated to greatness, but if you want to know if you should purchase this album I think (aside from the "Grandma take me home" song called Sliver) the answer is obviously yes and if you're a Gaslight/Brian Fallon fan you probably already did.
on April 6, 2014
Every song is a winner. Absolutely crazy about this disc.

Well, actually, the three bonus tracks are kind of weak compared to the rest. I insisted on getting the deluxe edition because I wanted ALL THE SONGS. I'm officially obsessed with these guys--absolutely love them. But it turns out that the regular edition would actually have been fine for me. Two of the bonus tracks aren't even Gaslight Anthem songs ("Sliver" by Nirvana and "You Got Lucky" by Tom Petty). Not bad, but not as fantastic as the rest, at least to me.

Overall, though, this disc instantly became an all-time favorite. (Not easy to do--usually I have to listen to something a lot before I like it.) It's so awesome to discover new music I love this much!
on May 28, 2013
Based on reviews left by other Amazon users, I started listening to Gaslight Anthem with "59 Sound". That is an excellent place to start, even though I already had the title track to this album.

The more I listen, the more I think I like this album better. I love "45", and "Handwritten" quickly made its way into my list of all-time favorite songs. There's one track on this album that I don't just love, but it's so far down I think it would have been a b-side anyway. It's short, but hideously repetitive, and not totally in the spirit of the rest of the album. It's not a deal-breaker, because it can be flashed right past.

Two thumbs up, highly recommend the album.

(Not sure if it bears mentioning that I picked up "Handwritten" from Limelight at the movies. It was their featured song one month. In case anyone wonders if movie-goers pay attention to those things.)
on March 30, 2015
Possibly my favorite Gaslight album, though every time I think I've chosen a favorite, it shifts. Good, solid alternative rock with touching, often profound lyrics. Brian Fallon is an American treasure of a songwriter. His lyrics are like a master class in the history of rock 'n' roll-- he alludes to (and frequently lifts lines directly from) classic songs from across multiple genres. These guys love music and making it. Give it a listen.
on December 19, 2012
You know those friends who complain (wrongly, of course) that there isn't any great rock n roll music coming out these days? Let them listen to this album, and see if you can change their minds. I already liked this band a lot before I got this album, but even I was surprised how good this is, from start to finish. There is not a bad song in this collection, and many are great. I think Pearl Jam meets Gin Blossoms, or something like that. Mostly hard-driving rock & roll, with just a bit of a (punk?) edge to it, with a few great ballads thrown in for good measure. If you only buy a few CD's (or downloads) this year, "Handwritten" should be one of them (along with Metric's "Synthetica"). I have heard that this band is one of Bruce Springsteen's favorite bands. I can see why. Awesome job, guys!
on October 26, 2012
I have to admit, it took me a little while to even listen to this record because the 59 sound was just so amazing that I thought hearing this would ruin my perception of the band but I'm so glad I caved. I have read reviews stating how Brians emulation of the boss just went over the top in this album but there is nothing wrong with some Springsteen influence. Most of the best bands of this generation has Bruce to thank for paving the way. These guys, just like Springsteen and myself are from the real NJ Shore and you can feel it when they play. Fallon`s lyrics are so heartfelt and he sings with so much passion that by the time you are done with the album you feel like you know each other. The only reason i gave 4 stars is because a couple songs near the end start to drag on and lose the intensity thats built up throughout the record. The tracks are still good but last a little too long.