Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Handy Living Hinged Bench Storage Ottoman in Paisley
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports

Color: Paisley|Change

This unit comes preassembled for everything except the feet. And the packaging is amazing for them - each is separately wrapped in bubble wrap, which is then wrapped as a single unit in more bubble wrap, which is then wrapped again in a pretty thick foam "blanket". Little chance of damage during shipping. Even the big box this is in, they add a second layer of cardboard under the top seam to help prevent people cutting the top of the item when they open it. Just be careful with your knife when cutting the tape off the top, if you don't give enough force to penetrate cardboard, you won't be able to cut your bench.

The hinge works very well, truly "wall hugging". I have it right up against the wall under my bay window in the great room, and when you tilt it up, it pulls forward some then pivots with spring assist. Holds open with just the springs, no locking hinge or anything you have to "release" to close it again. And it doesn't slam shut so safe for little hands.

Mine is in great shape, no marred sections or discolorations. Solidly built, no wiggle or wobble in the frame at all. Four feet screw in easily and snugly.

Seems quite large - I'm over 6 feet tall and this was just about to my shoulders when on its end in the box on my front porch.

I had this ordered almost two months ago since they were out of stock, but expected more in. It came back in stock sooner than the initial estimate, and I'm glad I waited, since it's tough to find a *GOOD* storage bench like this at a price like this (no wonder they were backordered). I received an email that they were back in stock late Saturday night and I had it here this Tuesday already.

Edit after having it a year:
Right side is seriously warped, the end piece on the right - very huge curve in it now. So much that the top edge of that right "side" of the chest now sticks out way past the top when it closes. No idea why just one piece would warp like that unless there was one piece in this that was not treated or something. I have a whole house dehumidifier system so the house does not have a lot of moisture. No idea why this bent so out of shape, but disappointing that in just a year it deformed itself. I dropped it from the original 5 star rating to a 2 for that.
99 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 14, 2011
I've ordered A LOT of items from Amazon, but never written a review. This sudden change wasn't prompted by this product, but by the outstanding service Amazon provided.

I opened the box, but the bench together (screwed the legs in lol), flipped it over, and realized there was a rip in the fabric on the lid. I called Amazon, they very graciously thanked me for my business, and immediately offered a refund or exchange with a prepaid label. I accepted the exchange, but the bench is out of stock. The representative informed me that as soon as the item was back in stock I would receive a confirmation email of shipment and until then I can keep the original bench. Wonderful!

After a second look, I realized that I most likely caused the rip when I opened the box. Honest is the best policy, so I called back and explained my mistake. The new representative said they will still send me a new bench, for free! Super wonderful!

So in conclusion, this is a nice bench for storage at the end of a bed. It's not super deep or tall, but it seems very sturdy. Just be careful opening the box, you might want to tear the tape off instead of trying to cut through it... ;)

Thanks again Amazon!
on September 7, 2014
This item does come through on it's brand name (Handy Living). It's handy for my life. But, unlike other reviewers here, I don't think its value matches its price. It's a flimsy piece of furniture. The hinges are the nicest part of the bench. They make it possible to keep the bench flush to a wall. But otherwise, it's what you'd expect from China.

It was very easy to put together, but one of the screw holes for the feet was angled, which makes that foot slightly angled. The staples inside the bench were all protruding and scratch hazards. I had to hammer them all in. The is-it-tissue-paper-or-is-it-fabric lining was hanging in some places. Not reason enough to box it up and return it, but reason enough for three stars.

It was convenient to purchase and it was delivered to my door, which offsets the pricing a little. But I was still disappointed. I won't buy furniture online again due to this experience. If I'd paid $50 for the item I'd tell myself I got what I paid for. But somebody's making a big profit on this item, because it's not equal to the price.
on January 25, 2012
I received my storage ottoman today and am delighted. It is made so well and looks great. It is also very functional. I am using it in front of my King size bed and will store linens in it. I highly recommend this product. It was shipped super fast and packaged very nicely, not a detail missed by this company, I was very impressed and will definetly keep them in mind for future purchases.
on April 14, 2014
I bought this mainly as a step up to my bed for my dog, with an added bonus of storage. I love the wall-hugging feature. The bench will store a lot of things, there's plenty of room. Ready to go straight out of the box, use with or without the legs depending on how high you wish the bench to be for your needs. The black plush fabric is good quality. I've had this for quite some time now and it still looks like new. I have no complaints whatsoever.
on July 28, 2014
This bench is exactly what I was looking for. I put it at the end of my bed, flush against the bed. It opens without pushing against the bed. It's strong enough to sit on to take off shoes, etc. The colors are beautiful. I love paisley, it's elegant. The colors are light and dark gold, maroon, and dark dark green. All of the colors lean toward brown, but are distinct in the pattern. I have a small dog with hip problems, and she could never get in and out of the bed by herself; but within minutes after putting the bench in, she was using it as a staging step. She loves it, and is very happy that she can now get up and down on her own. All in all, this was a great buy!
on June 30, 2015
VERY pretty piece. I have this at the end of my bed and I love that it can sit snuggly and still open. "DO NOT USE SHARP THING TO OPEN" (or something like that) ALLLLLL over the packaging. If you use a box cutter to open it you're gonna have a bad time.

The shipping was quick and it was very well packaged.
on April 23, 2014
I needed a bench to complete a lounge room in my house. I had space under a big panting hanging on the wall. With pleased with my purchase. It's visually appealing. Doesn't look cheap at all. Very well made and solid construction. I store a couple of guest blankets in it and it fills the space I needed it for perfectly. It can also be used as a very nice end-of-bed bench if needed.
on September 11, 2013
I was absolutely amazed as to how fast this was shipped to us. Free shipping no less for such a large item.

All we had to do is attach the legs, that was it, less than two minutes, was ready to go.

Fit & Finish is amazing based on the little price we paid and it really hugs the wall incredibly well.

Tons of storage space inside and a great sitting comfortable bench at the same time. Extremely pleased, recommend highly.
Anthony.
Burlington, MA.
on August 23, 2011
We were looking for an ottoman that was comfortable and had plenty of storage. Used mostly for storing blankets this fits the bill. It is sturdy. It came in the mail assembled which was nice and you only had to screw on the feet to the bottom. The packaging also was designed well with a piece of cardboard laid under the tape so that when cutting into the box to open it you couldn't cut the ottoman. Great product.