Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 181 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 307 reviews
on September 7, 2012
As other reviewers have said, I really wanted to like this book. I loved The Happiness Project, and found it life-changing--in fact, I re-read it at least once a year. I bought copies for family and friends, I recommend it constantly to students in my college writing classes. I love the author and her writing style, too--she is so refreshingly honest, with a wonderfully accessible style.

But this book, which I'd eagerly anticipated since I pre-ordered it earlier this summer, feels more like a diary or a The Life of Gretchen Rubin documentary than a self-help book. I love detail, normally, but so much of this book seemed to be "and then this happened to me, and then I did this." Hard to say how that differs from the first book, but it did--maybe it was the dearth of new insights, or the inclusion of the seemingly trivial (to me, at least). For example, I love scent, too, but the number of pages devoted to Rubin's exploration of smell, including creating a Shrine to Scent, just seemed like an awful lot of attention spent trying to elevate the incredibly mundane.

I do realize that paying attention to the details was a big part of Rubin's prescription for happiness in her very successful first book, and it's hard to put my finger on what made this one less enjoyable. I guess in the end it felt as though this one was rushed--that she put in the effort to record the details, but perhaps not the same effort towards making those details add up to something relevant and useful to the reader. Sort of a "This is what I did" rather than "Here's what to do"--more of a memoir of nine months than the instructional, follow-this-path tone of The Happiness Project. And I love a good memoir--but this wasn't a good memoir, either. It's like she didn't have much significant to say, but still took up a lot of space saying it.

If this is your first Gretchen Rubin book, you may not have the same problem with it that I did--I guess I just loved the first book so much that I had very high expectations. I still do, and will look forward to her next project and her next book. But I probably won't be re-reading this one.
22 comments| 263 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2016
This was a fitting start to the new year. I mean, who doesn't want to be happier, especially at home. Though I found the book started off strong and somewhat sputtered to an end, I was engaged throughout (even if I skipped over a few of Rubin's more theoretical ponderings of happiness. Notes were taken; plans were put into action; and I recommend giving it a read.
on August 23, 2017
Good book with some ideas to try at home for harmony.
on September 20, 2017
I need to re-read it so I can follow many of the ideas I need to make my life better. I get out of the habit of them.
on November 24, 2016
So much to relate to, so much to think about. This, and the first book are simply wonderful. All of us have once or twice thought about what it would take to be happier at home, I now acknowledge more of the little things and hope to improve in time with the ideas this book has provided. One more reader...happier at home.
on March 7, 2014
Now that I've bought a Kindle Fire HD 8.9" I wish that I had waited to buy the books. One for myself and one as a gift.

She is an incredible woman who is a warrior for all women to bring us closer to home and our inner homes.

The input that she shares about her two girls and husband are funny and uplifting. That takes courage to share that much about the nearest and dearest to our hearts.

Way to go Gretchen it's another home run. Thanks!
on April 5, 2017
such good common sense writing
on August 11, 2017
Good book
on March 21, 2014
I am almost finished with this book. My DIL read it and liked it. I have never read any other books written by her. I am enjoying the book. Some of the things she has implemented in her life make sense. At times she comes across as a bit OCD though with an all or nothing approach. I will try some of the hints and see where it gets me. I think maybe men should read the book for a more balanced relationship. That will never happen.
on November 15, 2013
I loved having a follow up to the happiness project. Gave it a slightly lower rating because some things were repeated from that book. Which is GREAT if this is the only one you read! Gretchen Rubin is like a buddy in a book club or exercise group--the one who gives you great insight and input.