Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,546 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,342 reviews
on September 19, 2016
I feel that this review by Carrie on another website is by far the best review and insite to what this book has to offer. Please read as you will have the best understanding of what will get out of this book. We highly recommend it as this book was indeed a game changer with out little ones and being happy in our family. Happy wife happy life… Happy baby happy mother happy wife happy life!!!

“I saw this doctor on Oprah YEARS ago... I remember that the audience was full of QUIET, contented babies and I wondered if they were all sedated.

The premise is that human babies are born 3 months BEFORE they are really developed because of the size of their heads. Therefore, the fist 100 days of their life is virtually a "fourth trimester" in which the baby needs constant vigilance and caring.

He offers "cuddle cure"... 5 steps done in sequence to calm a baby and simulate life in the womb: Swaddling (firmly), Side/Stomach, Ssshhhing, Swaying, Sucking. They are combined and should match the VIGOR of any crying to immediately pacify the baby.

Actually... this all made sense to me and most importantly.... IT WORKS!

Author: Harvey Karp
Publisher: Bantam Dell
Copyright: 2002
Genre: Parenting/Childcare
Pages: 260
Date Read- 5/21/09 to 5/26/09

p.100
The FASTEST way to succeed in stopping your baby's cycle of crying is to MEET THEIR LEVEL OF INTENSITY. Only after your screaming baby pauses for a few moments can you gradually slow your motion, soften your shushing and guide them from frenzy to soft landing.
The best colic-calmers say that soothing an infant is like dancing with them in the lead. These talented people pay close attention to the vigor of ther 5 "S's"

p.125
1st S- Swaddling
This TURNS on the calming effect by stopping the Moro reflex (hand jerking/flailing) that helps them to pay attention to the other S's.

2nd S-Side/Stomach
Lay your child on their side or place them in your arms on their stomach. This prevents them from feeling that they are falling.

3rd S- Shhhh
You have to do it as LOUD AS YOUR BABIES CRY and close to their ear. It stimulates the sound of the womb. It can be replaced by white noise.

4th S- Sway
Support your babies head and neck and wiggle their HEAD with fast, tiny movements (like you are shivering). Once they are entranced, you can move to a slower swinging motion.

5th S- Sucking
This works best after the other S's have calmed. A finger or pacifier work and can be eliminated after the 3rd month.

p.195
Baby Massage.
In a 1986 study by Tiffany Field, massaged babies gained 47% more then babes who did not have the same touch. The same babies had higher IQ's a year later.

1. Prepare for pleasure. Warm the room, dim the lights, play soft music.

2. Bring Yourself to the moment. Sit comfortably, take 5 slow deep breaths and allow yourself to be present for the experience. Its an exchange of love in one fleeting, tender moment of time.

3. Speak to your baby with your hands. Always try to keep one hand in contact with the skin and talk to them about what you are doing and what your hopes are for their life, or sing a lullaby. Let your massage strokes move in synchronicity with your calm breathing.

4. Reward your babies tummy. Bicycle their legs then firmly push both knees to their belly and hld them there for 20 seconds. Massage the tummy in firm, clockwise, circular strokes - starting at their right lower belly, up and across the top of their tummy and ending at their left lower side (this traces their colon and intestines)

5. Follow you baby's signals.

p.245
Top 10 survival Tips for Parents of New Babies
1. Trust Yourself. You are the Latest in the Unbroken Chain of the World's Top Parents.
2. Lower Your Expectations.
3. Accept All the Help You Can Get
4. Get Your Priorities Straight: Should You take a break or do the dishes?
5. Be Flexible. It is better to bend than snap.
6. Know Thyself. Share how you are feeling.
7. Don't Rock the Cradle to Hard. Know when to take a break.
8. Keep Your Sense of Humor Handy
9. Take Care of Your Spouse
10. Don't Ignore Depression.”

Review by Carrie
0Comment| 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 18, 2015
First off, I completely believe that the techniques in here are going to be a lifesaver. Every nurse, pediatrician, or midwife I've talked to has recommended these techniques. However, putting them into a book is really stretching the material, and involves a LOT of repetition of the same stories and arguments over and over. This could be condensed into a pamphlet. In fact, I just finished watching Dr. Karp explain the entire book in a six-minute spot on a daytime TV show (found for free on the Internet).

As an expectant parent who wants to be well informed, I have a lot of books on my reading list. This took up way more time than it should have. If you're a new/expecting parent, do yourself a favor and find this info for free on the Internet. If you want to buy this as a gift, do the expectant parents a favor and get the DVD or instant video instead.
33 comments| 294 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon February 14, 2009
Dr. Harvey Karp provides parents with the solutions they are desperate for in the book, "The Happiest Baby on the Block" in the simple form of the 5 S's: Swaddling, Side / Stomach, Shhhhing, Swinging, and Sucking.

You'll have to read the book to discover the method and the reasoning behind the 5 S's, but rest-assured all questions will be answered. The well-researched and well-written book goes a long way toward toward helping parents achieve some sleep.

My only concern, is the sucking S of the five S's, described in the book. Although, Dr. Karp clearly describes the place of the sucking role in calming a baby, many moms may feel an around-the-clock offering of the breast is necessary to calm her little one. While a 24 hour offering of the breast to feed and suckle is a solution for some moms, many moms may not be up to that challenge. It is therefore a good idea, to read the book in its entirety to clearly understand how all the S's work in together and in a particular order to achieve the calming of your little guy.
on April 9, 2017
My baby is now 10 weeks old and we've been using the techniques in this book for the last two weeks. I wish I'd read it earlier! A lot of the techniques are commonly known ones, but the way they are put together in this book work, while the way the same techniques are talked about elsewhere don't necessarily work, since they're used in isolation. My baby is noticeably more settled - yes, he's developmentally more likely to be settled, but we see him settle as we do the actions this book tells us.
on January 9, 2017
These techniques work! It is also nice to know the reasons why these techniques work. I would like a section on how and when to wean the baby off; when I know the baby is ready to sleep without these techniques.
on April 29, 2014
I had this book with my first child, and loaned it away. They loved it so much, I never got it back. He basically proves that if you are willing to follow the 5 S's you can sooth any baby. Babies manifest their fear of being out of the womb by crying and literally going through denial about not being rocked, fed, and held warm and snugly constantly. Dr. Karp says, using these 5 S's you can help make the shift from womb to home easier on your child. He uses evidence from cultures around the world where colic is totally absent, and helps parents understand that the "un-ending crying" or "purple crying" is something any parent can handle. Had to buy this one again and restock my library. I also love the sequel, "Happiest Toddler on the Block." Dr. Karp is Amazing!
on July 17, 2014
This book was only helpful if I skipped over all the philosophy which I found completely unnecessary for explaining his method for soothing a crying baby. I appreciate his research into the current cultures around the world and his personal experience with infants, but I don't like how he speculates with imaginary stories as the reason his method works. He tends to have rabbit trails of little stories about how cave women soothed infants. My point is, I don't need to wade through the extra information ...just give me your baby soothing steps!
on February 21, 2016
The first part of this book focuses mainly on colicy babies and how to handle it. Luckily our baby didn't have colic. The next part of the book talks about soothing techniques for any baby. These worked like a charm for our little guy. He has been an overall really easy baby, but we read this book before he was born and started immediately using the techniques described in the book. They worked so great for our little guy.
on November 28, 2016
This book was a life saver. Great information to explain what a newborn needs. Our baby sleeps through the night. Using the techniques in this book it is very easy to calm her.
on June 4, 2014
I feel like I have so many mom friends who could seriously use a good dose of this book. I now recommend it to everyone. For me personally, it was kind of common sense advice, but I haven't had my baby yet, and am not a hormonal wreck currently, lol. I can imagine once you're in the thick of things, it would be nice to have this book to go back to in order to help you calm your baby. I particularly like that he tells moms that just bc your baby isn't soothed instantly doesn't mean it isn't working. I hear a lot of women saying swaddling didn't work for their kids merely bc the kid initially fussed more- well that's exactly what he says *will* happen- you have to use the 5S's all together.

Update: Baby is currently 6 weeks old, so I *am* the hormonal wreck, now, ha! Best thing about this book is that my husband read it, too, and actually uses the 5 S's because someone "official" recommended them. ;) They keep our baby pretty dang happy and calm!