Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,537 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,332 reviews
on September 19, 2016
I feel that this review by Carrie on another website is by far the best review and insite to what this book has to offer. Please read as you will have the best understanding of what will get out of this book. We highly recommend it as this book was indeed a game changer with out little ones and being happy in our family. Happy wife happy life… Happy baby happy mother happy wife happy life!!!

“I saw this doctor on Oprah YEARS ago... I remember that the audience was full of QUIET, contented babies and I wondered if they were all sedated.

The premise is that human babies are born 3 months BEFORE they are really developed because of the size of their heads. Therefore, the fist 100 days of their life is virtually a "fourth trimester" in which the baby needs constant vigilance and caring.

He offers "cuddle cure"... 5 steps done in sequence to calm a baby and simulate life in the womb: Swaddling (firmly), Side/Stomach, Ssshhhing, Swaying, Sucking. They are combined and should match the VIGOR of any crying to immediately pacify the baby.

Actually... this all made sense to me and most importantly.... IT WORKS!

Author: Harvey Karp
Publisher: Bantam Dell
Copyright: 2002
Genre: Parenting/Childcare
Pages: 260
Date Read- 5/21/09 to 5/26/09

p.100
The FASTEST way to succeed in stopping your baby's cycle of crying is to MEET THEIR LEVEL OF INTENSITY. Only after your screaming baby pauses for a few moments can you gradually slow your motion, soften your shushing and guide them from frenzy to soft landing.
The best colic-calmers say that soothing an infant is like dancing with them in the lead. These talented people pay close attention to the vigor of ther 5 "S's"

p.125
1st S- Swaddling
This TURNS on the calming effect by stopping the Moro reflex (hand jerking/flailing) that helps them to pay attention to the other S's.

2nd S-Side/Stomach
Lay your child on their side or place them in your arms on their stomach. This prevents them from feeling that they are falling.

3rd S- Shhhh
You have to do it as LOUD AS YOUR BABIES CRY and close to their ear. It stimulates the sound of the womb. It can be replaced by white noise.

4th S- Sway
Support your babies head and neck and wiggle their HEAD with fast, tiny movements (like you are shivering). Once they are entranced, you can move to a slower swinging motion.

5th S- Sucking
This works best after the other S's have calmed. A finger or pacifier work and can be eliminated after the 3rd month.

p.195
Baby Massage.
In a 1986 study by Tiffany Field, massaged babies gained 47% more then babes who did not have the same touch. The same babies had higher IQ's a year later.

1. Prepare for pleasure. Warm the room, dim the lights, play soft music.

2. Bring Yourself to the moment. Sit comfortably, take 5 slow deep breaths and allow yourself to be present for the experience. Its an exchange of love in one fleeting, tender moment of time.

3. Speak to your baby with your hands. Always try to keep one hand in contact with the skin and talk to them about what you are doing and what your hopes are for their life, or sing a lullaby. Let your massage strokes move in synchronicity with your calm breathing.

4. Reward your babies tummy. Bicycle their legs then firmly push both knees to their belly and hld them there for 20 seconds. Massage the tummy in firm, clockwise, circular strokes - starting at their right lower belly, up and across the top of their tummy and ending at their left lower side (this traces their colon and intestines)

5. Follow you baby's signals.

p.245
Top 10 survival Tips for Parents of New Babies
1. Trust Yourself. You are the Latest in the Unbroken Chain of the World's Top Parents.
2. Lower Your Expectations.
3. Accept All the Help You Can Get
4. Get Your Priorities Straight: Should You take a break or do the dishes?
5. Be Flexible. It is better to bend than snap.
6. Know Thyself. Share how you are feeling.
7. Don't Rock the Cradle to Hard. Know when to take a break.
8. Keep Your Sense of Humor Handy
9. Take Care of Your Spouse
10. Don't Ignore Depression.”

Review by Carrie
on October 18, 2015
First off, I completely believe that the techniques in here are going to be a lifesaver. Every nurse, pediatrician, or midwife I've talked to has recommended these techniques. However, putting them into a book is really stretching the material, and involves a LOT of repetition of the same stories and arguments over and over. This could be condensed into a pamphlet. In fact, I just finished watching Dr. Karp explain the entire book in a six-minute spot on a daytime TV show (found for free on the Internet).

As an expectant parent who wants to be well informed, I have a lot of books on my reading list. This took up way more time than it should have. If you're a new/expecting parent, do yourself a favor and find this info for free on the Internet. If you want to buy this as a gift, do the expectant parents a favor and get the DVD or instant video instead.
33 comments| 278 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 11, 2017
This book was AMAZING to read. I read it when my daughter was about 3 weeks old. Before I read it, she had a "fussy time" from about 10 pm - 1 am. After reading this book, her fussy time went down to about 10 minutes. We were told, by the hospital, to not swaddle our baby because of the high risk of SIDS. We talked to a few people who told us that that particular advice was ridiculous. But, as a first time parent, it's hard to not follow your doctor's every instruction. Well after 3 weeks of sleep deprivation, we decided to try something different, and follow the advice of others and this book. Our lives were transformed! I would recommend this book to everyone interested in having children.
on July 21, 2017
I know this book comes highly recommended but I'm just not a fan and have lost interest. I should have just skipped to the part where they get right too the point of how to soothe baby. Most of the early chapters spend way too much time on describing colic. It's really good to know what that is and how common it is but, enough is enough! Just tell me how to calm baby down and swaddle them properly!
on May 1, 2017
The book has a very good perspective on how to approach the issue of a crying baby, and you may find that their five techniques will help soothe your baby. However, when trying to implement the methods in this book, I have found that like everything else with babies, "Your Mileage May Vary."

The general advice is great- the author's argument for simulating a "fourth trimester" is very convincing. We also found some of the 5 techniques to be helpful. If you are desperate for techniques to soothe your baby, the book is a good starting point.

So why give it 3 stars, instead of 5? In order for you to achieve these magic results, the author claims, you must find the EXACT combination of the 5 techniques to use for your baby. This is a very sly argument to make, because it puts the blame squarely on the reader if the techniques don't work. If the techniques don't seem to work for you, then "you must be doing it wrong." I have seen this argument advanced by other self-help books, and it is a very convenient way for the author to explain away any naysayers.

This book also suffers from "could-have-been-a-pamphlet" syndrome. You could honestly get the same information from a few youtube videos. If all you care about are the techniques themselves, then a lot of the material in the book is redundant.
VINE VOICEon February 14, 2009
Dr. Harvey Karp provides parents with the solutions they are desperate for in the book, "The Happiest Baby on the Block" in the simple form of the 5 S's: Swaddling, Side / Stomach, Shhhhing, Swinging, and Sucking.

You'll have to read the book to discover the method and the reasoning behind the 5 S's, but rest-assured all questions will be answered. The well-researched and well-written book goes a long way toward toward helping parents achieve some sleep.

My only concern, is the sucking S of the five S's, described in the book. Although, Dr. Karp clearly describes the place of the sucking role in calming a baby, many moms may feel an around-the-clock offering of the breast is necessary to calm her little one. While a 24 hour offering of the breast to feed and suckle is a solution for some moms, many moms may not be up to that challenge. It is therefore a good idea, to read the book in its entirety to clearly understand how all the S's work in together and in a particular order to achieve the calming of your little guy.
on April 9, 2017
My baby is now 10 weeks old and we've been using the techniques in this book for the last two weeks. I wish I'd read it earlier! A lot of the techniques are commonly known ones, but the way they are put together in this book work, while the way the same techniques are talked about elsewhere don't necessarily work, since they're used in isolation. My baby is noticeably more settled - yes, he's developmentally more likely to be settled, but we see him settle as we do the actions this book tells us.
on July 1, 2014
My baby is 5 weeks and although not colicky, she's a fussy gussy when it comes to being out down for sleep. She wants to be held 24/7 which is taxing on us even using a wrap. We do not wish to bed share.

I was able to skim the book for my pain points and apply the tips immediately with results. With some effort on our part, she slept in her bassinet for the first time in weeks all night. In between feedings, we successfully put her back to sleep. There were some do overs as she'd wake up (nothing is perfect!), but in the end, she dozed off and stayed there for a couple of hours until it was time to breastfeed.

My husband is back at work, but I have a month left on maternity leave and I will be practicing these tips throughout the day in preperation for a crib transition when I go back to work.
on January 9, 2017
These techniques work! It is also nice to know the reasons why these techniques work. I would like a section on how and when to wean the baby off; when I know the baby is ready to sleep without these techniques.
on October 7, 2015
How I wish I had this book with my first baby!! I'm currently expecting my 3rd baby and I'm so excited to try these soothing, womb like methods to help calm my baby and hopefully help her to sleep better/longer at night. I have a friend who's babies came home from the hospital sleeping 7-8 hrs at night. She naturally did a lot of these things on her own (I'm sure she had good tempered babies to begin with) and they were always so happy and slept great! I think this book might be the gift I give to moms at baby showers from now on. With the experience I have had as a two time mother, I loved everything about this book. IT JUST MAKES SENSE! It may take some time to figure out how to do it correctly with your own baby, but hey, soooo worth the effort.