Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 26 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 37 reviews
on October 25, 2009
This book is awesome! I wish they had found a better title for it because, "Happiness Is An Inside Job" sounds like just another inane self help book, which this is certainly NOT. My copy is so highlighted that the pages are wrinkly. Sylvia has a gift for communicating calmness and inspiring the willingness to walk through difficult times, rather than fighting, avoiding or trying to fix them. Words can't describe how much this book has helped me deal with my Dad's Alzheimer's and his slow disintegration into a vegetative state and ultimately death. Thank you, Sylvia, and for heaven's sake, keep on writing.
on May 6, 2017
Extremely good guide to understanding mindfulness and ways to meditate to achieve happiness. I am new to this and this book helped me understand better.
on December 25, 2013
"Life is an ongoing series of changing circumstances to which human beings are continually called upon to respond. What the Buddha taught is that we could respond happily," writes Sylvia Boorstein. How we respond to life's events do form the basis of our happiness, and often that unhappiness is rooted in unskillful responses to those incidents. We "fight our experiences" instead of just being with them, which prevents us from being happy. In these struggles, we want things to be other than they are, hence comes our suffering. We straightforward language, Boorstein is able to provide a prescription for being happy, and that simply is to "meet the present moment fully, and meet it as a friend." Our discontent comes from wishing that things were other than they are. Buddhist practice makes it possible for us to accept and be as things are. Boorstein's book is an excellent, easy-to-read overview of how to quit the fight against the moment and just be.
on June 4, 2015
Having read maybe over 40 books like this in the last few years, this one was one of the best. I don't know if having read all the others, I was primed and more available. But I don't think that was it. I think it's just good, clear, writing, nice use of stories, nice connection to real-life examples, and a hopefulness that I found really wonderful. It was one of the more positive books, in some sense, that I've read in this Buddhist psychology realm. I really think it's at least worth trying the free sample on Kindle to see if you like her particular style.
on February 17, 2016
Boorstein is someone whose essays I've enjoyed reading time and time again in the Shambhala Sun (now Lion's Roar) magazine, so it was a no-brainer when I came across Happiness Is an Inside Job. I knew I wanted to read it. I did. It didn't grab me. I would say that it fell a bit short of both my expectations (rooted in past experience with her writings) and the thoughts I held in general about what the book may speak to: happiness. The title itself doesn't seem fitting to the content, which read more like a mindfulness guide that show you a potential way out of the habits of one's mind. I often wondered, "But where's the journey to happiness?" I get that one is more likely to encounter happiness with a clear mind; however, the title pointed in a single direction that was not singly focused on in the writing. To that end, it was simply okay. I'll continue to enjoy Boorstein in Lion's Roar, but I am less likely to be moved to read another of her books.
on September 14, 2015
I started reading this book again recently, and was delighted to become reacquainted with Sylvia Boorstein's simple approach to applying Buddhist principles to life's daily conundrums. Her personal stories, sprinkled with humor, help translate these concepts into a primer for everyday living.
on February 5, 2017
This book has transformed my thinking and as a result my life! I would highly recommend this book☺️ She shares stories that we can relate to and made me feel like I can truly make a change on my path to more positive thinking and a positive life.
on May 10, 2012
I originally read this book in paper format. I borrowed it from my local library and was so disappointed that it was out of print. When I received my Kindle Fire I downloaded the book to read it again and still loved it. It's one book I will read over and over. If you feel unhappy and need a little self-help this is the book for you. Even readers who want to learn about becoming more happy you will still enjoy it. It's one of my favorite in my library and it might be yours too.
on May 24, 2014
Beautiful, clear, penetrates the heart and uplifts the spirit. My daughter recently died. Happiness seems an impossible dream. Sylvia's words sustain a peaceful hope beneath the sorrow.
on January 16, 2016
Very readable, friendly, and helpful for anyone who enjoys reading about meditation or starting a meditation practice. A gentle, friendly voice that I found soothing, intelligent, and inspiring.