Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One ft Vant GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 23 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 35 reviews
on July 15, 2012
Beginning in 1998, the study of positive psychology is a relatively new phenomenon in the annals of psychology. Ed Diener remains a leader in this field of study and specifically happiness, and his son Robert appears to be part of a happiness research succession plan! Ed and Robert explore the current happiness research, which at times contradicts earlier research in the field--which is why research is a constant pursuit. Their insights are powerful and instructive. For example, they posit their AIM theory (Attention-Interpretation-Memory), which provides a simple but powerful lesson in positivity and happiness augmentation. The authors present a simple recipe for happiness:

A life full of love--with others, friends and colleagues; with work, being engaged in what you love to do every day; and, with experiences, activities, and life in general.

Happiness: Unlocking the Mysteries of Psychological Wealth by Ed Diener and Robert Biswas-Diener (Blackwell, 2008). Reviewed by Steve Gladis, Ph.D., July 2012 on Survival Leadership blog.
on October 13, 2016
Authors credentials give much credence to the details. Very interesting perspectives on Happiness, where it comes from, what it is and why it's beneficial. Not as obvious as you may think.
on February 23, 2009
(for anyone wondering where I'm coming from with this review, my Ph.D. is in marketing and psychology)

Usually I'm a bit skeptical of these sorts of books- even top notch researchers tend to "dumb down" the material for general audiences, and the research findings can get lost in the stories. Not here, however. Dr. Diener does an excellent job of describing the current state of psychological research on happiness, in a way that both laypeople and scientists can appreciate. Short on jargon, and interwoven with informative personal stories, the book makes for a great read. The one thing I disliked was the lack of references within the text; sometimes I had to guess what the cite referred to by scanning the references in the back of the book.

I won't get into all the specifics, as other reviewers have addressed the content of the book. However, it was really cool to see a balanced and nuanced treatment of controversial questions such as "does money buy happiness?", and how one can go about increasing his or her own happiness without buying into the latest fad. Of all the books I've looked at about "happiness", I'd strongly recommend this one both to laypeople interested in how they can improve their own happiness, as well as academic researchers looking for cool research ideas.
on January 11, 2017
text book for my positive psy class. Very easy to read. fun little activities with in the chapters. Would recommend even not as a textbook
on August 27, 2011
The book is written in very accessible language yet deftly tackles an extremely complex issue. The authors do a great job of bring academic research to life and provide excellent guidelines about how to live a happier existence. I'm putting some of the concepts to work in my life and reaping wonderful benefits from very little effort. This book will very likely be my most valuable read in all of 2011. My thanks to the authors for truly great stuff!
on December 13, 2016
Great, well written book. Got it for a class, but ended up enjoying it so much that I read the entire thing.
on March 25, 2016
I needed this book for class. This book is full of good information and provided some thoughtful insight
on February 10, 2015
This is a life changing book. Great tools to teach those you are counseling! Keeping it as my first book for my office library!!
on September 9, 2011
I would first like to provide a disclaimer: this was the first book that I picked up which had resonance of a "self-help" type of book. I'm not one that is fond of self-help material, but I decided to give this book a chance.

I managed to order this book in preparation for that class I was taking from Biswas-Diener. I figured it would have been positive insight into what I should expect from the class. After the first couple of chapters, I began to realize that this books focus is less on a "self-help" standard, but heavily on the scientific one. It produces information that is valuable and will definitely work if you apply it in your life.
I finished the book satisfied and ready to begin Roberts class. In the class I was able to learn more about the Psychology of Happiness, and I was also able to discover that Dr. Biswas-Diener is a very helpful and intelligent individual. He has had many experiences and a lot of his discoveries have stemmed from his passion for the research of happiness.

If you don't like self-help books and feel this one may be, it's not, give it a chance.
on February 13, 2016