Industrial Deals Beauty Silent Corner STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Final Fantasy XIV Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 34 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 62 reviews
on December 22, 2015
Here we have the tale of Guido and Vincent cousins and best friends. We follow them as they finish their college years and take up their careers. One thing that these young men have in common is that they are both attracted to women who they find very inscrutable. However, the heart being the heart, each young man marries the woman of his desire. Although there are some bumps along the way for the most part life runs smoothly for these couples.

I enjoy the late Colwin's writing style. She is able to give us a great sense of place. I enjoyed the description of Holly and Guido's apartment.

I think that if you are looking for a well crafted novel that is more character than plot driven, this may be the book for you. If you have been reading a lot of dystopian books or nonfiction, this might be a good palate cleanser. It is a short book and a fun read.
on April 6, 2017
I don't usually have a favorite of many things--but this may be my favorite book. I love Laurie Colwin's books & was so sad when I read that she had passed away. Some of the negative reviews said they learned nothing from this book but it isn't a 'self-help' book--it's just a sweet story about a group of friends. I have read it many times & expect to read it many more times in the future. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!
on January 31, 2016
Laurie Colwin in a joy to read. It is somewhat a traditional novel, no fancy postmodern tricks, but it surprises just the same. It takes place in the 90s before the internet, which is a pleasure all in itself. Her descriptions of food make your mouth water. There is an authenticity to her characters that makes you care for them, each in their turn. I highly recommend it.
on February 8, 2017
I love this book! What fun it was to get to know these characters. Two charming men with two difficult-but-worth-it women. They taught each other a lot throughout the book. Loved the dialogue. Which is basically what happens in the story. They talk to each other. No big mystery to solve or action driven plot. But people who care deeply and grow happiness in their lives.
on July 6, 2016
Wonderful characters . Full of New York details. Great examination of marriage. Dialog is well written, and full of figurative language.
I loved this novel. I'm sorry the author is no longer with us but I'll read more of her books. Author Anne Lamott had mentioned it as one of her favorite books. I know why and will recommend it to my friends..... It made me Happy.
on December 5, 2014
One of the best novel of all time - a jewel of delight. I first read this as a teenager in Rome - there was a copy of it in an American library - when I was 13 years old. Thirty years later, it remains one of my favorite books. Laurie Colwin is an extraordinary writer who you can read again and again - a life's companion. Highly recommend.
on May 10, 2017
The characters are very real and give a hopeful message to all of us and support us in our marriages.
on September 12, 2015
Just one of the best books about New York, and what it means to come to New York and make a meaningful life for yourself. A feel-good book without being sappy. When I was in my 20s, I read this book at least once a year.
on February 10, 2017
I LOVED THIS BOOK. It's so relatable. I highly recommend it. I can see why Laurie Colwin has a cult following. I will be reading the rest of her books.