Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 363 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 440 reviews
on January 28, 2013
I'm not the type to usually write reviews for books, especially books as loved as this one! You can see by the reviews that this is a great book, and I'm going to add my own 2 cents.

I bought Everyday Happy Herbivore a while back, made a couple recipes (which were very good) and then let it to sit for awhile...I started following Lindsey on Facebook and was constantly seeing people post about this dish and that dish that they made from Happy Herbivore Abroad (aka HHA).

I decided to get a sample of the book (Kindle) to see what type of recipes were in there. Normally you don't get an actual recipe in the sample, but in HHA, there were like 4! My husband and I made one of the recipes and were hooked! I downloaded the book the next day and have since been trying as many recipes as possible!

My family is German, and I grew up eating yummy (albeit meat-filled) German food. When I saw the goulash recipe in HHA, I thought, "there's no way..." Goulash is a Hungarian recipe, but many German's make and eat it too. It's not what many American's think of goulash as (over egg noodles), but rather a beef stew of sorts with caraway and marjoram. When I was little, my mom worked as a waitress at a German restaraunt part time, and the owner/chef use to bring me huge bowls of the goulash...I LOVED it. A few years later the place closed and I hadn't had the goulash until a few years ago. When I self taught myself to cook, I knew that I had to figure out the recipe...with quite a bit of trial and error, I finally was able to recreate it. When I went veg, I was sad that I wouldn't be able to have my beloved goulash anymore. I decided to try HHA's recipe. I modified it ever so slightly (I replaced the red wine vinegar with red wine) and used the optional caraway suggestion. I was friggin blown away. It was so close to the version I was able to recreate that I couldn't believe it.

I've made quite a few recipes out of the book and each time I'm amazed at how much flavor the recipes have in them.

Another huge revelation learned from Lindsey's books, is her method of "water sauteing." It was really weird for me at first to saute in anything other than olive oil. But I tried it, and was amazed. The food cooks quicker, with more flavor, and less fat!

This book alone, has given me the confidence to eat more vegan foods...there's so much flavor, and the animal products and dairy is NOT needed.

If you can only get one vegan cookbook, make it Happy Herbivore Abroad. There's a ton of recipes that will both fill you up, satisfy your need for flavor, as well as lighten up the waist line!

Happy eating!
VINE VOICEon November 27, 2012
I love the Happy Herbivore Cookbooks, I would say that the first two are among my five favorite vegan cookbooks. Her original book is probably the cookbook I use the most. (See: The Happy Herbivore Cookbook: Over 175 Delicious Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes ;Everyday Happy Herbivore: Over 175 Quick-and-Easy Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes ).

Why four instead of five stars? Well this book contains 125 recipes as opposed to the 175 each in the previous two releases. And the recipes are mostly good but not exceptional. I will say that if you want a quick, low fat book of recipes, this is great. But if you don't have the first two of her books, those are much more solid recipe books. And many pages in this are dedicated to photos of the places Lindsay traveled to. There are a few recipe repeats, but they don't count towards the 125. And unlike a few other vegan cookbooks which I tore apart in my reviews, this one actually has the bulk dedicated to dishes. (One that I reviewed - not any of Nixon's - had at least half of the recipes for spices, rubs, dressings, condiments, frosting, glazes, and such... At least half!)

There is also a section of 'American' recipes in the back. Not a big deal (and it does state that on the back cover), but with 125 recipes, I would have preferred a few more recipes from other countries. Japan could have been a great source of recipes since they have an active Buddhist culture (vegetarian and vegan) around Kyoto and many restaurants cater to the vegetarian and vegan. Sadly we see recipes such as edamame (seriously the easiest thing to make).

The great thing about Lindsay's recipes is that most of the ingredients can be found at your local grocery store. Rarely have I had to seek something out that my local Whole Foods didn't have. And probably 75% of the time I have everything on hand already (if you stock a good selection of beans, grains, and spices then you have the ability to make many dishes - depending on what veggies you have currently).

In this book the standouts were the stews and casserole type dishes. There were many veggie or bean or rice dishes that were VERY similar to recipes in her other books (I checked a few - some are one or two ingredients off from the original - others result in similar tastes), others are exact copies such as the cheater pad thai. (Not counted in the 125 recipe count).

But overall a very good cookbook. As a fan of her others I enjoyed it, but perhaps the bar was set too high with the amazing collection of recipes in the earlier books. One note for the publisher: Proofread. I doubt Sheree's cajun blend spice has 360 calories and 6 grams of fat per teaspoon =)

Standouts: Cassoulet, goulash, quick chili mole, masoor dal, migas (soooo good!), saag, cheater African beans, chili bok choy, vegetable korma, vegetable enchiladas, African delight (mmmmmm... kale), cajun stuffed mushrooms. (Of note: Teeny Tiny Spice Co makes a great Ethiopian berbere and Cajun seasoning. You can buy on Amazon.)

We're still working through the recipes, but so far so good. Just buy the first two if you haven't already. And look for the upcoming "Oh She Glows" vegan cookbook (2014 I think...)

Update (Dec 12, 2012):

The desserts and baking dishes are good - for vegans! But I hesitate to make these for non-vegans since they have a wholesome, healthy flavor. Personally I enjoy lighter emphasis on oil and sugar (one of the reasons I love Nixon's cookbooks), but for those not used to a vegan diet, they might give the ol "See? Vegan food is bland!" argument. In that instance I use the overwhelmingly sugar-centric Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar: 100 Dairy-Free Recipes for Everyone's Favorite Treats. But Nixon's recipes are for the health conscious, so just be forewarned that they will not be the type of vegan desserts that they serve at Black Sheep bakery! (Which I cannot eat anymore thanks to my looking up the nutritional info... 600 calorie bran and berry muffin??? Yikes!)

Still, 125 recipes is a good slice, especially the emphasis on international cuisine. But I stand by the four star merely by the comparison to her previous two recipe books which each had 175 recipes, and I think a bit more exciting dishes overall. Buy the first two if you don't have them. They will keep you occupied for awhile. Then get this book if you want some more variety. The internationally influenced entrees are the best part of this book.
77 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 26, 2013
I ordered this with the Everyday Happy Herbivore. I was delighted with that cookbook, but this one hasn't been as good. I enjoyed reading and looking at the pictures in the 'travelogue' portion of the book, but there are a lot of recipes that aren't really anything special. Like 'Taquitos', which is just refried beans and tortillas. I've been making that all along--no recipe required. Or 'musli', which is overnight oats--nondairy milk, oats and fruit soaked overnight. Again, I've been doing this for a long time without a recipe.

I was hoping for more authentic cuisine from around the world, and there are a few in there that look good, but I was a bit disappointed with this one.

To give her credit, it is a really pretty book!
on February 2, 2013
I love Lindsay. I love her view on food, her recipes, her blog. Her first two books (Happy Herbivore and Everyday Happy Herbivore) are my bibles when it comes to getting a healthy veggie centered meal on my family's table. However, I have to say out of the three this one was my least favorite. The recipes are just too bland. That said, they are incredibly healthy and would be great for those on very strict, low sodium, no fat, whole foods, plant-based diet. I understand her wanting to make everything ultra healthy (AWESOME!!!!), but I find the first two to be more tasty and fun, even if there are a few little cheats here and there like the lightlife veggie 'meat' in the 'meat'ball subs or a quick spray of pam.

So, I would never discourage one from buying this book, but if you are considering which to get, I hope this review might shed some light. If you are on strict Esslytn heart disease reversal diet, get this one. If you are an average joe easing into a plant based diet, get HH and/or EHH. Or if you don't have a budget, buy all 3!
on December 3, 2012
I currently own the entire family of Happy Herbivore books and am a big supporter of Linday Nixon's mission to make healthy, low-fat, plant-based food widely accessible. This makes me both a slightly biased reviewer and a well-informed one.

That said, it is worth mentioning that this book is not like the other books in the HH family. I am not sure that this would be the book I would recommend for someone trying to get into plant-based, low-fat living. While all of the recipes are simple and made with accessible, whole-food ingredients, I think that the original Happy Herbivore Cookbook or the Everyday Happy Herbivore Cookbook is more appropriate for those who are new to plant-based cooking/eating. In those books, many of the basics are covered and provide a solid base for branching out to more exotic recipes.

What I like:

-It is a more personal book than the others of the HH family, which I appreciated as someone who has traveled to some of the destinations referenced in HHA. I have spent a lot of time in Central/East Europe, for example, and I have never been able to enjoy a proper Hungarian Goulash. HHA solves that. I have often tried to re-create some of my East European favorites but have been met with limited success. The European recipes in the book are spot-on!

-there are some fancy recipes--like things that I would make for a dinner party--that are made with affordable, easy-to-find items.

-the photos are gorgeous. Very visually-appealing.

-I think this book has the potential to de-mystify some international cuisine. Curries and French dishes can be intimidating! I am pretty fearless in the kitchen, but I would not have attempted to come up with my own low-fat curry like the one in this book. Things that I would order from a takeout menu are in this book at a much lower cost (both in terms of money and calories!) and probably take about as much time to make as it does to wait on a delivery.

What I do not like:
I would have liked some more breakfast and baked goods. I do not think their absence detracts from the quality of the book and I realize that there are only so many ways to make a tofu scramble and there are plenty of ideas in other HH books, but I found myself going back to HHC/EHH for breakfast ideas this weekend after feeling uninspired by the HHA book.

All of this said, I have tried the following recipes:

-German Lentil Soup
-Swedish Split Pea Soup
-Bundt cake
-Tinto de Verano
-Cassoulet

The biggest hits were the donuts, bread pudding and the pineapple curry, but they were all delicious. The African Jollof is great cold over mixed greens--we did that for a road trip and it worked out well.

In sum, this book is the perfect complement to and logical progression of the HH offerings. I think this is just the beginning for the Happy Herbivore. I suspect that bigger, better things are coming and I look forward to seeing Lindsay Nixon's continued success! Very well done!
on November 27, 2012
This is the third HH book I've purchased and just when I think Lindsay can't do better, she surprises me. This book contains recipes from around the world, all easy and simple to prepare with ingredients most everyone already has on hand. I received my book a few days ago and have since made the Lentil Soup, the Roasted Butternut Squash (stuffed with quinoa and raisins), and the Vodka Sauce which I added to some penne pasta. All of the dishes were very easy to make and quick to prepare. The vodka sauce was so delicious, that I made it two nights in a row. My dad, who is Italian, absolutely loved it. I find that the Happy Herbivore cookbooks are good for cooks of all levels. As a pro baker, and once an avid cook, I find that the recipes are very easy to modify for all tastes. I sometimes add my own additional touches, but either way, all the HH books have something for everyone. I have only started eating vegan foods in the past year. It started out as an experiment and I was very surprised to see how easy it was. The difficult part was figuring out what to eat every day as the same ol' stuff gets pretty boring really fast. That's how I found Lindsay's first book, The Happy Herbivore. I have since bought many other books, but Lindsay's tend to be my 'go to' ones. The recipes can't get any healthier and your waistline will be looking mighty slimmer, too. Oh, and did I mention that you save tons of money on groceries? As an added bonus, you can check out Lindsay's weekly meal plans on her website. They contain recipes and a week's worth of all the dishes you'll need to prepare, along with a grocery list and nutritional information. Great way to lose weight and check out her recipes for just a few bucks.
on May 18, 2014
The Happy Herbivore Abroad raises our vegan gourmet sights a notch higher. Now, periodically, we try to have an international night with appropriate music, wine and meal from this cookbook. A couple of more unusual recipes from the USA are also included. To that point, I would highly recommend the author's Winter Confetti Salad. It was not only exciting and tasty but a wonderful way to use fresh radishes. Crossing the ocean, I think readers would find the savory glazed carrots, a recipe from the author's visit to France, a great accompaniment to any dinner. The recipes we've tried have been excellent. I sort of wish the book included some Scandinavian dishes, although I realize that with the fish and cheese used there, it may not be that easy to incorporate into this book.

In short, I'm glad I added this cookbook to my collection, mainly to add a little international spice to what is now becoming, with many thanks to author Lindsay S. Nixon, easy and delightful vegan dining for this family..
on November 27, 2012
Another wonderful cookbook from the Happy Herbivore. It is a beautiful book with gorgeous pictures AND the recipes are fabulous! What I love the most about the Happy Herbivore cookbooks (and I have all of them) is that they are just normal regular food made with normal regular ingredients that I either have on hand or can buy at my neighborhood grocery store. There are no long lists of ingredients you have never heard of or have to make a special trip to a specialty grocer to buy. If you are eating plant based, this is a great cookbook for you. If you aren't eating plant based and just want some recipes for really good food that is easy and quick to prepare and just happens to be healthy, this is a great cookbook for you. The first recipe I made is the Quick Chili Mole - it was quick, easily made with ingredients I had on hand and it was delicious! I doubled the recipe so I would have plenty of leftovers to take to work for my lunches. I love that the recipes are healthy versions of food from all over the world and they all look delicious. I can't wait to try them all!
on December 4, 2012
For many home cooks, the idea of preparing vegan food can be daunting: bizarre protein sources, foreign herbs/spices, and ingredients that require you to seek out a specialty health food store. Fortunately, with a book like "Happy Herbivore Abroad" on your shelf, cooking and eating plant-strong is easy as can be! I have Lindsay Nixon's other two cookbooks, and they are amazing as well, but I think the new one is her best yet! Her recipes use everyday ingredients, and if you have access to a regular grocery store, you can probably make the majority of the recipes in here. Some ingredients are less common--lots of grocery stores do not carry red lentils, say, or nutritional yeast, although those can easily be found at your nearest Whole Foods or bought online--but most of the recipes are very do-able for the average cook. Better yet, most are simple; you don't need to worry about starting the first steps immediately after finishing breakfast. I don't say that lightly, either. I have a ten-month-old boy, which makes cooking from scratch a challenge, but I regularly turn to Nixon's cookbooks because I know I can find something that uses ingredients I already have and that I can prepare even while tending to my son. Within a day of receiving "Happy Herbivore Abroad," I had already made two recipes! And both were fabulous. (And I've made several more since too.) If you are interested in cooking delicious and healthy food, do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of this book!!
on July 20, 2017
Love this book! We recently traveled to Europe (Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg) for the first time so I can really appreciate (and relate to) some of these recipes/dishes. They are easy to make, only a few ingredients in each recipe, relatively quick and quite tasty so far!