Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 26, 2011
I really wanted to like this book, and I thought it would have some helpful advice. Unfortunately this book fell very short of my expectations.

I have read a lot of self help books, and I have plenty of things I'd like to improve, my skills as a home manager being one of them. But, there are a lot of things I don't care for about this book, and reasons why it was maddeningly unhelpful.

First of all, in the first chapter, Shine tells her readers to stop complaining, and eliminate the ego. Now, this is good advice on its own. However, that advice is tempered by a superior tone to the book, tons of complaints about how hard it is to be a mom and a wife, and every other line is some sort of judgement against other women who don't live just like she does. In essence, she's pretty much fooled herself into thinking that she has "let go of her ego." If she actually had, then her "advice", which are just disguised judgements, would not be coming from such a combative place.

She has no compassion for people who are feeling out of control. Her advice is pretty much limited to "suck it up, sister" because it could always be worse. Yeah, it could be worse, but ignoring serious problems like a breakdown of communication between spouses, incompatibility, depression, etc doesn't do anyone any good.

Shine also has a very limited concept of sex, and advocates using sex to get money from your husband. Since when did manipulating your spouse become good behavior? As an addendum to that, I was personally disheartened to see that she also tells women that if a man wants something that's a social taboo, like BDSM, then she should ignore the issue with him, and complain to her girlfriends.

All in all, I found the book to be shallow, narrow, judgmental, and coming from a place of abject superiority. Sorry, Darla. But you're certainly not better than me because I choose to work in addition to wanting to care for my home.
7 helpful votes
8 helpful votes
on October 22, 2017
Great book
on March 22, 2013
I love how the world famous recipe's are something my family has done for years and years. Not to mention they are sometimes the standard way of doing things. Constantly complains about Desperate Housewives! It gets quite annoying! I listened to my wife read this book and i gotta say her and I were well fed up with the complaints she made while doing the same thing she was upset about. Give me a break!
on July 11, 2014
Thank you Darla for such a wonderful book. I've spent the past seven years fighting my role as mum and wife and I've found this book at the right time. It's full of advice and information to help us fnd the joy in motherhood and being a housewife. If you are looking for help and are sick of trying to be superwoman, this book is for you.
on June 13, 2006
I am an avid reader, but I have never bothered to write a book review for Amazon until now. I love this book. If you are a stay at home mom, you should definitely consider purchasing it. If you are not a SAHM, do us a favor, don't bother writing a scathing review. This book, as Darla Shine clearly states, is not for you. There are plenty of working mom books out there. We deserve to have a book that supports us, just as much as you do.

That said, this is a great book ladies! It is so supportive, down to earth, funny, and instead of being PC, its honest! How's that for a change. The whole time I was reading it, I was thinking one of three things: "I really do need to do this", "Thank you" or most often, "It is about time someone came out and said these things in the public sphere". Alot of SAHM books that I have read have been boring, or really not very supportive at all. Everyone is scared to come off as unprogressive or politically incorrect so they side step giving any real support. God forbid we tell SAHMs that they are doing a great thing and that their families will benefit tremendously. God forbid we actually say that being a SAHM is just as hard and just as valid as being a working mother.

If you are a SAHM, even if your not desperate (I wasn't), buy it anyway. Hey, if nothing else, buy it for the kudos, you deserve them.
6 helpful votes
7 helpful votes
on September 19, 2006
I loved this book! I went around worrying about what people thought about me staying home. The social climate we live in today frowns upon women who choose to stay home and raise the children they brought into this world. Darla feels our pain and tells us to , "get over it!" taking care of our homes and families is a worthwhile profession we should be proud of! I love my husband and children and i'm thankful to be home full time to take care of them. This book brings us back to basics, back to family. Thank You Darla Shine!
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on November 2, 2014
I was not looking for a "how to" book, but simply inspiration to continue on my motherhood journey and finish my race with dignity. This book mostly delivered this for me. I was a bit skeptical to purchase this book after reading the lowest reviews, which stated the author was snarky. I've read enough of those books and I was not interested in another. I have a special needs child which I care for full time and two other "typical" teenagers; I really can't stomach a condescending tone. I don't believe the author exuded this, but instead had a tremendous amount of humility and compassion.

I gave such a high rating because her candor was refreshing and inspiring when discussing how we women need to get our acts together. Discussing our attitudes as the biggest deterrent to becoming happy housewives was much needed for me and very wise counsel.

I did not give five stars because I don't buy into the organic food movement, though cooking all food at home I find very important. I also disagreed with some of the celebrities she endorsed as I see them as part of the problem with our culture and not the solution.
on February 22, 2011
Even though the author annoys me I kind liked the book. She is really just saying common sense but her way of writing kind of gives the impression that she thinks she is the perfect wife. It was ok
on May 27, 2008
This book is GREAT! It is a wonderful perspective on how to simply be happy. It is a gentle slap in the face. The combination of common sense and "duh" moments this book brings to the surface makes you wonder why you haven't been doing that all along and how easy it is to make just a few changes for a happy ending.
on June 27, 2008
Loved this book. Absolutely, completely, totally love it. She completely gets it. I am a SAHM/WAHM by choice and completely fed up with condescention from women who prefer to shove their kids off to daycare. I'm tired of women telling me how they can't afford to stay home, only to then hear of a million things they are spending money on that they could give up if they were actually motivated to stay home. I'm tired of seeing SAHMs referred to or portrayed as Rich Women, when many make significant financial sacrifices to stay home. I'm tired of the idea that women who stay home have checked their identities, priorities, and brains at the door. This book is the antidote to all that. You might want to add "Home By Choice" (Brenda Hunter) and "What Our Mothers Didn't Tell Us" (Danielle Crittenden) to your reading list after this one. THANK YOU to the author for sticking her neck out there, telling it like it is, and then sharing her thoughts on how to live gracefully and joyfully in what is STILL the Most Important Job out there: keeper of the home. AMEN SISTER.
3 helpful votes